Thread: Silver Birch

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Silver Birch

I was out for a walk with the E420 and 12-60mm and the weak winter sunlight made the bark on these silver birch trees gently glow. I like the balance of the trees in the frame, and of course the rock.

It was difficult to get a smooth and muted tonal balance between the sky and foreground so PP was ACR to get three differently exposed images from the original RAW shot, one processed for one stop under, another for one stop over, and one normal. These three TIFFs were then combined in Photomatix, followed by B&W conversion, and toning.

Steve
    Last edited by 250swb; 07-31-2010 at 03:23 PM.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Silver Birch

I love it! Simply a fantastic image, which has the character of a 19th century etching. This is a wonderful use of HDR software.

Tell us a little more about the toning please - I really enjoy it.

Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Really a great use of HDR combined with B&W. I haven't seen something like this before. It does have an etched look, with very good depth to it. Thanks for showing us this technique. I've blended multiple exposures of a raw with Elements, but nothing complex like this stand of trees. Obviously Photomatix has some benefits.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I love everything about this image and your post-processing, Steve, except the color of the toning. It seems too greenish/yellowish. Maybe my eyes are too traditionalist, but a sepia tone or a more neutral tone might work better for me.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I like it

Gerry
    E330, E520, Zuiko 14-42, Zuiko 14-45, Zuiko 40-150, Zuiko 11-22, Ziko 50-200,Sigma 50-500, Sigma 18-50EX DC Macro, Sigma 150/2.8 APO EX DG HSM Macro,Sigma 105/2.8, Sigma 55-200, Olympus EX25, virtual village focus screen, ME-1 Eyecup, Metz 44 Flash,Slik PRO400DX TriPod, Giottos MH7001-621 BallHead, Ownuser FX-FBH Battery Grip, 200+ legacy lenses.

http://picasaweb.google.ca/ghenton

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Excellent photo here. I love the toning

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks for the nice comments.

In no particular order,

Tony, I don't see it as greenish on my monitor, and it has just been calibrated, but it is yellowish/cream by design. I wonder if the calibration has failed? I wanted a look that evoked a fading more a memory/vision/dream rather than a sepia nostalgia, but I may have got it wrong.

Bob, the toning was done in Nik Soft Silver Efex Pro because it has a lot of adjustability, but using the tone adjustments in PS3 B&W tool does the same thing. That said the default options in Efex Pro all but do the job for you purely regarding the toning. But you do need a good smooth tone over all the image to get a 'veiled' look to the tint, so the sky/highlights need some tone to pick up the tint, hence processing one RAW image three ways to get the best of each from highlight to shadow.

jkrumm, Photomatix is great for doing these simple compositions from a single image as it will pick up the ACR RAW processing parameters from the TIFF and recognise the + or - EV steps (although you can still input them manually). You aren't really doing the full HDR thing, just stretching the capacity in the single RAW image, but it can be effective and shows the benefit of using RAW.

Steve

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
    Thanks for the nice comments.
    Tony, I don't see it as greenish on my monitor, and it has just been calibrated, but it is yellowish/cream by design. I wonder if the calibration has failed? I wanted a look that evoked a fading more a memory/vision/dream rather than a sepia nostalgia, but I may have got it wrong.

I think it's a personal preference thing, Steve. Others like the toning. You're the artist, so your way is right.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I love it, Steve.

This photo has a wonderful atmosphere to it. The toning looks good to me.

Cheers,

Bruce

Thanks
    Feedback Score

A wonderful shot.
    well composed with wonderful light.
    your PP is superb and i can only hope that one day you'll develop it on a metallic paper.

Assaf

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I really like the conversion on this it makes the shot.
    God Bless
    Corey

My Web site:http://midiowaphoto.com