Thread: November '08 Contest Winners

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ann

Default November '08 Contest Winners

Congratulations to the November Photo Contest winners.

The theme was "Natural Imitators".
    1st and 2nd prize winners choose your prizes here: http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=41759 and please send me a PM with your choices.
    3rd and 4th places will also have a chance at the end of the year for the Photographer of the Year.

1st prize winn
    er: #7 Mr. Bump by Hudsonhites - 82 Points

Judges comments (underlined), Voting from 1-5 in each category:

|5| Subject (1-5):
    Does the subject fit the theme?
    Fits very well.

|3| Creativity (1-5): How effectively/dramatically/interestingly is the subject presented?
    I expected a lot of shots such as this one.

|5| Composition (1-5): Has the subject been composed appropriately/interestingly?
    Composition is excellent, the tree face is looking from the right to the left and filling the right two thirds of the shots (classic). the separation from the background both with the shallow DOF and enhanced by good PP (as i suspect) are just adding.

|5| Lighting (1-5): Has lighting been used appropriately/effectively for the subject?
    A very good DR and a well lit shot. considering it a natural light there's nothing the photographer could have done better.

|5| Technical (1-5): Has the subject been exposed, focused, etc., appropriately/correctly?
    All is done well and perfectly according to the circumstances but for what purpose? what's the idea behind it? am i missing something? what are the natural imitators in here?
    -----------------

|4| Subject (1-5): Does the subject fit the theme?
    Off all the "VWIS" pictures, this one is the best.

|3| Creativity (1-5): How effectively/dramatically/interestingly is the subject presented?
    |4| Composition (1-5): Has the subject been composed appropriately/interestingly?
    |4| Lighting (1-5): Has lighting been used appropriately/effectively for the subject?
    |4| Technical (1-5): Has the subject been exposed, focused, etc., appropriately/correctly?
    -----------------

This image fits the theme well.

Without knowing what is beyond the edges of the image, it is hard to tell, but I think it is well done.

|4| Composition (1-5): Has the subject been composed appropriately/interestingly?
    The image is well composed.

|3| Lighting (1-5): Has lighting been used appropriately/effectively for the subject?
    The lighting is good and emphasizes the rugged features of the subject.

|4| Technical (1-5): Has the subject been exposed, focused, etc., appropriately/correctly?
    Nice dyamic range, and good focus.
    -----------------

|5| Creativity (1-5): How effectively/dramatically/interestingly is the subject presented?
    There is no question whatsoever as to what this is representing, even without the title of Natural Imitators - well spotted. I almost see this as a silent scream.

|5| Composition (1-5): Has the subject been composed appropriately/interestingly?
    Well framed and cropped to emphasize and enhance the subject, and well separated from the background.

|4| Lighting (1-5): Has lighting been used appropriately/effectively for the subject?
    Lighting overall is good, as it delineates the subject and provides drama to the visage.

All the technical aspects have been competently addressed.
    -----------------

2nd Prize Winner: #3 Human. Tasty. Mmm. by Nepherim - 47.5 Points

|3| Subject (1-5): Does the subject fit the theme?
    It fits.

|2| Creativity (1-5): How effectively/dramatically/interestingly is the subject presented?
    The title shows a sens of humor and that's where the creativity ended.

|0| Composition (1-5): Has the subject been composed appropriately/interestingly?
    No. there's no unique/interesting/creative angle or "say in this shot". there's nothing to catch my eye in here. infact the only thing that makes this shot somewhat amusing, is it's title and since we are dealing with photography that should say a lot. try to play with your angles maybe?

|3| Lighting (1-5): Has lighting been used appropriately/effectively for the subject?
    Seems to be o.k, the sun spots on the right side are managed well.

|3| Technical (1-5): Has the subject been exposed, focused, etc., appropriately/correctly?
    I would have liked a much shallower dof to get as much of the branches oof and more bokeh if possible.
    -----------------

This one made me laugh. Had to think of Old Man Willow in LOTR.
    Bracket fungus like a boot, Tree with a mouth. The only reason I gave this one a 4 rather than a 3 was because it made me laugh.

|3.5| Creativity (1-5): How effectively/dramatically/interestingly is the subject presented?
    Seeing it in the first place gives it a three but it's not really all that creative. Since it's well presented however, I'll give it an extra .5

|3| Composition (1-5): Has the subject been composed appropriately/interestingly?
    -----------------

|5| Subject (1-5): Does the subject fit the theme?
    Almost perfect match for the theme.

The shot was taken from a good angle and makes it an interesting photo.

Well composed.

I would like to see the sky toned down a little and possibly bring out some if the detail in the shadows.

DOF is nice, and good focus.
    -----------------

3rd Place: #6 Lord of the Trees by LordEmit - 42 Points

|2| Subject (1-5): Does the subject fit the theme?
    It fits but not in a great way.

|2| Creativity (1-5): How effectively/dramatically/interestingly is the subject presented?
    The burned tree is well presented but with a lot of disturbance around it.

|0| Composition (1-5): Has the subject been composed appropriately/interestingly?
    Branches are coming up from the right and tree tops are looking all around with some ground from the left. now if you want to show the lord of the trees wouldn't it be more fitting to show his subjects around him? if not, then at least show only the lord. you chose to compose somewhere in the middle and ruined the shot.

Very good.

This photographer knows the technical side very well he should considerate on the first three parts.
    -----------------

|4| Creativity (1-5): How effectively/dramatically/interestingly is the subject presented?
    It’s not difficult to see the imitation.

|2| Composition (1-5): Has the subject been composed appropriately/interestingly?
    The shot should have done more to isolate the subject from the background. The tree line and branches surrounding the subject shows that the photographer was too fixated on the subject and forgot about the backdrop. There’s perhaps a little too much ‘white’ space around the subject which does little to emphasize the subject.

I would have preferred a better balance of lighting, or something to provide a more dramatic result to the subject. There’s a smile showing in the subject, but the branch/arm is overly dominant.

|3| Technical (1-5): Has the subject been exposed, focused, etc., appropriately/correctly?
    My only observation is that the shot looks like it’s out of focus, or could it be a crop from a larger image?
    -----------------

Yes, it fits the theme. The tree looks like it's extending an arm upward as if to proclaim something.

It's creative, but there could have been more trees in the background to show what it was lording over.

It is ok.

Could have been lighter, perhaps using some fill light.

Seems to be focused properly, but possibly could have used less exposure.
    -----------------

4th Place: #1 David vs Goliath by Viperman500 - 36.5 Points

yes, the red plant is surrounded by some giant wheat(?) but i would like to see more of that wheat around. since the photographer is not in control of this field, it fits very well.

|5| Creativity (1-5): How effectively/dramatically/interestingly is the subject presented?
    very creative. the unique angle, the use of the distortion on the wide angle of the 11-22 and the ability to spot this shot in this field.

|3.5| Composition (1-5): Has the subject been composed appropriately/interestingly?
    a very good composition, i took 0.5 because the photograph is tilted to the left. other then that, the focus is right on the red plant and the photographer is leading our eye perfectly. again, what's lacking is more wheat(?) around it but that is something that i assume as beyond his means.

it's hard not to get a blown out skies in a shot like this but the subject and his surrounding, are lit very well. in all, a good use of natural light if i may suggest maybe -0.3 (or -0.7) EV and Raw for the next shot to save some more highlight and gaining some more DR.

|5| Technical (1-5): Has the subject been exposed, focused, etc., appropriately/correctly?
    no problems in focus and exposure, i also liked the DOF very much and it seems as if this shot had some thought into it.
    -----------------

It's a stretch, but it does.

|4| Creativity (1-5): How effectively/dramatically/interestingly is the subject presented?
    It showed some thought to come up with this idea.

|3| Composition (1-5): Has the subject been composed appropriately/interestingly?
    It's a bit static, doesn't show the drama you could have with the title David and Goliath.

|2| Lighting (1-5): Has lighting been used appropriately/effectively for the subject?
    Background is too bright, doesn't separate the elements.

It's a bit blah as far as colours go. The background sky washes everything out, to the detriment of the image.
    -----------------

More comments:

It seems I am subject to (Assaf's (last month's competition)) writers block. I look at the photo's and find no inspiration to write anything meaningful about them. It was a difficult subject and when you find something that fits it, it may be tough to take a "good" photo of it. At least that is my conclusion looking at the few entries.

For what it is worth my vote goes to: #7. Mr Bump and in second place #6. Lord of the Trees.

-----------------

#2 Solid by Madmax 30 Points
    fits.

|1| Creativity (1-5): How effectively/dramatically/interestingly is the subject presented?
    Not interresting at all. all i see is a rock shaped as an otter symbol, on sand dunes with vegetation in the background. there's nothing to catch my eye, have a new say, not a unique angel or a thought behind this shot. i'm sad to say but it just look as a snap shot one would take on a vacation.

|2| Composition (1-5): Has the subject been composed appropriately/interestingly?
    Poorly composed. no unique angle or POV that will make this rock look more interesting. in addition there is not separation between the subject and the background. to isolate him and maybe insinuate that this rock is surrounded by sand dunes...

Lighthing is good and DR is perfect too much contrast though.

Yes, but for what purpose?
    -----------------

Yeah, I guess, driftwood naturally shaped as an otter.

Seeing it in the first place gives it a three but it's not really all that creative. More like a happy snap.

Perhaps some urchin shells? Something to play off? It right smack dab in the middle. A little more thought in framing this would have made it more dynamic.

-----------------

#5 Angry Barnfellow by AnnF 21 Points
    |0| Subject (1-5): Does the subject fit the theme?
    No, the only thing i see imitating here is the barn.

you saw an angry face but in a building... so that's 2 but leaving that aside, it does not fit the theme.

|1| Composition (1-5): Has the subject been composed appropriately/interestingly?
    No. at first impression the image looks like a snap shot and you don't see the angry face. other then that, i see green grass, a barn and black background.

|1| Lighting (1-5): Has lighting been used appropriately/effectively for the subject?
    The whole image is underexposed.

|2| Technical (1-5): Has the subject been exposed, focused, etc., appropriately/correctly?
    The image is focused right but lacks exposure and creativity.
    -----------------

Took a while, but I found it.
    Not natural, but an interesting take on the theme.

-----------------

#4 Ouch! By zbahu
    20 Points
    Fits well. the branch is trying to make his own way out and the tree is pressing hard. very good !

Good creativity, trees are a good source for natural imitators.

The choice of portrait was a good one but i would have liked a tither cropped version or a different composition with less black disturbance on the left.

|5| Lighting (1-5): Has lighting been used appropriately/effectively for the subject?
    Perfectly lit, good use of natural light.

Well focused, exposed, crisp B&W image.
    -----------------

#8 Northwestern Romania by night by ?
    16 Points
    |1| Subject (1-5): Does the subject fit the theme?
    The net as a power grid? the net as an aerial view? i'm not sure you got me there my friend.

I need to understand the first part in order to deal with it. if i'm right then i think it's a case of over creativity.

The composition is good, the net and drops feel most of the shot in an interesting angle. too bad i still can't get the shot though.

Seems to be good but raises some questions. am i the only one that thinks is a day shot? no flash used and a lighting equipment would have lit also the background. anyway the net and the drops seems to be lit perfectly.

Well exposed, focused, etc... good work on post processing too but again for what purpose? what's the point behind this shot?

Last edited by AnnF; 01-21-2009 at 04:57 PM.

Kalispell Montana, mere minutes from Glacier Park
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Default Re: November '08 Contest Winners

Congrats to the winners!
    I couldn't even muster an idea for this month

Jim

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thanks Jim! It was a tough one to a subject for -- luck was a big part of it
    ~ ~ Dave
    unphotographed.com: Critique and comments always welcomed.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Congratulations to the other winners and many thanks to the judges for their
    time.

I hope that everyone has a Happy Holiday season

Victor

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks to the judges, and congrats. from me also.