Thread: G1 User Review

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Default G1 User Review

I had the G1 for a little less than a week, but because of the great interest in this camera, I thought I would stop the E-30 review to put together some thoughts on the G-1.

The review is located here.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: G1 User Review

Quote Originally Posted by tspore View Post

I had the G1 for a little less than a week, but because of the great interest in this camera, I thought I would stop the E-30 review to put together some thoughts on the G-1.

The review is located here.
    Thanks for the Review. This looks to me to be the perfect back up camera. I was very surprised with the high ISO comparisons with the E30. The G1's noise is much finer and looks like it would behave much more appealing in PP. Jtangen

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

It really is good, but the banding is quite bad in my opinion, which I would rather not have, noise doesn't bother me, but banding is quite harmful.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Concerning the G1, I noticed you seem to love the electronic viewfinder(evf).

I've had experiance with cameras having an evf. while I do like the weight difference but found that in very bright areas, (ie: bright sunny snow and beach shots), you may as well just aim it in the direction and hope things turn out where-as a good penta prism has limited problems.

Snow blindness may be the culpret as I have found an old fastion black sheet to cover everything except the lens to work just fine. The only problem with that is, how many people carry a sheet around with them? It also takes several minutes to get adjusted to the dark/light.

Did you get a chance to check out the evf in that situation?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

I don't think that I would say that I loved the viewfinder. But I was impressed with it. I don't think as of now it is a replacement for optical viewfinder, but in a few years, I don't think that we will be able to say that. It is as good as a high end video camera viewfinder I would say.
    It just takes a few seconds to adjust from low light to high, but that would be expected. Really if you love a viewfinder as much as I do the G-1 may be the best Electronic viewfinder that I have ever seen by far, but it still won't replace an optical one.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

- I either don't know what to look for or my camera hasn't produced any yet, but I don't see any banding.

- The EVF is fantastic, for me. I can see to focus and frame in light conditions that with any optical viewfinder are "point and hope only". Yeah, it isn't as clear as an optical viewfinder might be in great light, but in great light I'm not working hard just to see.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: G1 User Review - Qestion re ISO shots

Enjoyed the review. One question: on the ISO shots, the G1 images show some splotches in the frames...there are none on the E30 shots. (I did check my screen to make sure they were not my doing.)

I like the SLR approach with the electronic viewfinder, but I think I will wait to see what Olympus comes up with.

David

Thanks
    Feedback Score

As far as horizontal banding goes, that is typically caused by EMI interference, such as a nearby electrical noise source. The cameras are so sensitive, that you are seeing captured nearby noise imposed on the image. Whether it is captured during A/D conversion or during the image capture I don't know for certain, probably during the conversion.

What I have found with the G1 is I have absolutely no banding at home, I am out in the sticks with no real noise sources. However at work with a lot of florescent lights and equipment and computers, etc I do see some at high ISOs, though not enough to worry about.

It is an unfortunate side effect of high-sensitivity electronics combined with large openings on the camera such as a large sensor or lens mount. I'm sure Panasonic spent quite a bit of time and effort reducing EMI impacts on the sensor, but you can never fully eliminate it, just attenuate it. All cameras should suffer from banding near heavy noise sources such as transmitters and electric motors.

Probably because of the G1s diminutive size and quantity of goodies packed inside, EMI was especialy tough to deal with.

Just be aware of the cause/effect when taking pictures around potentially noisy areas and turn down the ISO accordingly.

-Mark