Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: E-3 v1.3 firmware announcement...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Default Re: E-3 v1.3 firmware announcement...

Yoda-E, if your E-3 grip has a problem of short battery life, you should send it to Olympus for changing the diodes board.

The firmware update coming next Feb. offers selections to read Alkaline, NiMh and lithium batteries.

And that update will makes you happy for your wildlife shootings.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Seeing how this thread has gotten away from its original point regarding the E-3 firmware update to E-4 speculation, I'm thinking the latter might be delayed because Oly is looking for a new sensor. It seems there's a rift in the 4/3's group. Lieca seems to have pulled out of it and Panasonic is going their own way. Oly stated somewhere not too long ago that their next sensor won't necessarily be made by Panasonic.

Maybe they have to play the field??

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by KellysCayman View Post
    FINALLY!!!!

Both of my grips are at Olympus Service right now because of the power issues and poor response! I was seeing issues where the shutter would not respond or there was a lag and from time to time it would shut down.

I was also see issues where the camera would reset!

So happy to hear that, I just hope they are sharing this info with service. They have been working on my grips for a couple of weeks trying to find the problem!!!

Thanks for posting.

Kelly
    Mine was sent and repair for few weeks before, now works fine. They replaced the diodes board.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Johannes View Post
    Mine was sent and repair for few weeks before, now works fine. They replaced the diodes board.
    I never use my E3 grip, how do I know if it needs replacing? Were all the original grips bad? I might be past the warranty period, just.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by finemom View Post
    I never use my E3 grip, how do I know if it needs replacing? Were all the original grips bad?
    I don't think they were all bad, at least I've never had any trouble with mine. But I only use it for occasional concerts, and always with the same pair of identically charged new batteries, so maybe I haven't pushed mine hard enough. Since I got mine on the first day they were available I guess mine is out of warranty also.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Thanks Norman for your explanation, yes, not all grips were faulty.

Finemom, what I meant is, if Jens found his E-3 grip not good, then should send it in for repair before warranty expires.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by double s View Post
    Seeing how this thread has gotten away from its original point regarding the E-3 firmware update to E-4 speculation, I'm thinking the latter might be delayed because Oly is looking for a new sensor. It seems there's a rift in the 4/3's group. Lieca seems to have pulled out of it and Panasonic is going their own way. Oly stated somewhere not too long ago that their next sensor won't necessarily be made by Panasonic.

Maybe they have to play the field??
    Interesting observation. I think you're right on all counts. Seems like Panny may be the common element in all of this. It's like they needed Leica and Olympus to show them a few things about photography and gain some credibility. But now they have decided they are good enough and smart enough to flex their muscles and either have it their way or go it alone.
    4/3: Oly E-3, E-1, E-520, 9-18, 11-22, 14-54, 50-200, 70-300, 25/2.8, 35/3.5 | Leica 14-50, 14-150, 25/1.4
    m4/3: E-P3 | G1 | 14/2.5 | 20/1.7 | 14-42 IIR | 17/2.8 | 45/1.8 | Nik 20/3.5
    Nikon: D90, D700, 70-300/VR, 24/2.8, 35/1.8, 35/2, CV 40/2, 50/1.4G, 60/2.8, 85/1.8, 180/2.8 | f/2.8 zooms | Zeiss 25/2.8
    Sony: A55, A900, 24-85, 70-210/4, 20/2.8, 24/2.8, 30/2.8, 35/1.4G, 50/1.7, Zeiss 85/1.4
    P&S: Canon S90

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I look at it this way - who else apart from Panasonic is going to make 4/3 sized sensors in the future? Is the market for 4/3 sensors big enough for Kodak or Fuji or whoever to try and compete? I think not ...but I could be wrong.

Peter

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default also the accessories have a two year warranty in Europe?

Thanks Norman for your explanation, yes, not all grips were faulty.

Finemom, what I meant is, if Jens found his E-3 grip not good, then should send it in for repair before warranty expires.
    My interpretation is that actually none of the HLD-4 power battery holders have been faulty.

The problem is only that there's hasn't been any auto-sensing of the battery voltage from the various battery technology used in the grip.

The solution to that problem, is to let the user manually select battery technology. With the E-30, that is in in place now, and will be retrofitted into the E-3. (That may explain the reason to calm any anticipated dissatisfied E-3/HLD-4 users with this early f/w announcement).

Olympus being conservative, in first place only allowed the cornercase of monitoring the battery voltage for the E-3, in order to maintain the E-3 performance stability.

Replacing the serial diodes with with lower VF ones, has until now been a good idea, but may not anymore be necessary, for use with the E-30 and the retrofitted E-3. Finally, we may even enjoy using the common Sanyo eneloop batteries to their full capacity with the HLD-4 in near future.

For myself, Yoda-E, and other Europeans, I think we can just await the upcoming f/w to hope it fixes the HLD-4 problem once for all, since I think also the accessories have a two year warranty in Europe.

Image from the just released E-30 manual:
    Last edited by Knight Palm; 12-20-2008 at 12:46 AM. Reason: added image

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: also the accessories have a two year warranty in Europe?

I use my HDL-4 twice a year, in mid January and early February, both on occasions that need some one handed overhead shooting and rapid fire. I guess if Oly leave it until the end of February I'll have to wait another year to find out if the damned thing works as it should.

Steve

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Default Re: also the accessories have a two year warranty in Europe?

Quote Originally Posted by Knight Palm View Post
    My interpretation is that actually none of the HLD-4 power battery holders have been faulty.

The problem is only that there's hasn't been any auto-sensing of the battery voltage from the various battery technology used in the grip.

The solution to that problem, is to let the user manually select battery technology. With the E-30, that is in in place now, and will be retrofitted into the E-3. (That may explain the reason to calm any anticipated dissatisfied E-3/HLD-4 users with this early f/w announcement).

Olympus being conservative, in first place only allowed the cornercase of monitoring the battery voltage for the E-3, in order to maintain the E-3 performance stability.

Replacing the serial diodes with with lower VF ones, has until now been a good idea, but may not anymore be necessary, for use with the E-30 and the retrofitted E-3. Finally, we may even enjoy using the common Sanyo eneloop batteries to their full capacity with the HLD-4 in near future.

For myself, Yoda-E, and other Europeans, I think we can just await the upcoming f/w to hope it fixes the HLD-4 problem once for all, since I think also the accessories have a two year warranty in Europe.

Image from the just released E-30 manual:
    Knight Palm,

There were 2 problems on the E-3 grip.

(1) when using or or two BLM batteries, i.e. with one battery, it will lock up the shutter from time to time, even the battery is still not empty. with 2 batteries, the life span is shorter than 180% of its capacity.

(2) when using AA batteries pack, it always shows low battery warning even the NiMH type 1.2 batteries were fully charged, when using 1.5V alkaline batteries, it will show low battery warning after 20-50 shoots. Using lithium type batteries, the performance is not as expected.

The E-30 'Battery type' selection is for AA batteries pack when different types of batteries fitted. Nothing related to the BLM batteries in the grip.

And what I mentioned in previous post(s) regarding the possible faulty grip(s) is about BLM(s) bad life span which is due to a no good diodes board. And I repeat, not every grip is no good.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

According to the Japanese words, they mentioned that the AF target points can be select via the arrow pads direct, same as E-30 ..... (ask Tony how E-30 did this and how good it is)

2nd is the firmware can read different types of batteries, so more stabilize.

3rd is .... (can not tell now) but users will be happy about it .....
    Johannes, do you work for Olympus or where do get your information?
    I would like to see following list for 3rd and 4th point:
    3rd No more banding
    4th No more focus issues
    // Wictor

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Wictor, thank you for the question.

I am not working at Olympus.
    The information, you can say it is from Olympus, however, not in fine details and not official, the fact is, when I encounter some problems with my Olympus gear, normally I will contact them, tell them in details, discuss with them, and may be offer them some advise (voice of customer) and wait patiently for a while, give them some time to work out the solution, of course it might take a long time, but the return from that patience is sometimes I could get some information by listening carefully.

Your wishlist of point 3 and point 4 is same as most people wishes too, banding is an issue, also AF, but AF issue is not on all E-3, only some, and Olympus is responsible to take care of it if the camera is returned to service.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Wictor, thank you for the question.

I am not working at Olympus.
    The information, you can say it is from Olympus, however, not in fine details and not official, the fact is, when I encounter some problems with my Olympus gear, normally I will contact them, tell them in details, discuss with them, and may be offer them some advise (voice of customer) and wait patiently for a while, give them some time to work out the solution, of course it might take a long time, but the return from that patience is sometimes I could get some information by listening carefully.
    Johannes, thanks for answering! I have just noticed that you have always some interesting information about Olympus gear and it seems that at least you get good service from Olympus...
    // Wictor

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wictor View Post
    Johannes, thanks for answering! I have just noticed that you have always some interesting information about Olympus gear and it seems that at least you get good service from Olympus...

Yes, Olympus service is very good indeed.

So far, I only had service on my E-330 on board flash more than a year ago, the FL-36 flash and HLD-4 few months ago. All other items are still good.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

// Wictor

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by davidh202 View Post
    One thing listed was "an improvement of AF accuracy with fast F2 lenses".
    I hope that means an improvement in focus speed on the 14-35 that many have complained about since no one really had a problem with "accuracy" , but any "improvement" is sure welcome.
    David
    That's not true at least in my case and several others. The 14-35 reported that it was in focus a couple times when taking a group shot when, upon review, it clearly was not. As a result, I did not get a crucial group shot of all the participants at an event I shot. I thought "I'll take 2 shots just in case". With the 14-35, that clearly was not enough.
    4/3: Oly E-3, E-1, E-520, 9-18, 11-22, 14-54, 50-200, 70-300, 25/2.8, 35/3.5 | Leica 14-50, 14-150, 25/1.4
    Nikon: D90, D700, 70-300/VR, 24/2.8, 35/1.8, 35/2, CV 40/2, 50/1.4G, 60/2.8, 85/1.8, 180/2.8 | f/2.8 zooms | Zeiss 25/2.8
    Sony: A55, A900, 24-85, 70-210/4, 20/2.8, 24/2.8, 30/2.8, 35/1.4G, 50/1.7, Zeiss 85/1.4

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Fantastic news! Looking forward to seeing how it works!

I have had a couple of issues but nothing to worry about! I am more concerned with the power issues I have been getting with the grip and how its effecting the performance of my E3 with 35-100mm f2 when shooting sports!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by vonbonds View Post
    I have to be honest and agree with EB's statement. mFT doesn't offer anything I care about. The only thing mFT does for me is scare me about FT's long term future....if there is one!
    I sure have an interest in uFT as I have a boat load of vintage Leica LTM and M lenses I'd love to try out on a digicam (considering no way can I afford an M8), some date back to 1932, not to mention my 35/1.2 Nokton. Whaaahoooo!

Don

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Another premature announcement? Still no firmware available on Olympus' site. I think Steve's Digicams jumped the gun.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by e_dawg View Post
    Another premature announcement? Still no firmware available on Olympus' site. I think Steve's Digicams jumped the gun.
    OP did mention mid February...
    The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE.
    - Ernst Haas -

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Olympus E-3 Firmware Update

Posted on Feb 2, 09 04:27 PM PDT

Olympus has just announced a firmware update for its Olympus E-3 Digital SLR, and among the benefits include :-

• Allow E-3 users to select the AF target by pressing the arrow keys
    • Improve AF accuracy when using fast lenses with f2.0 aperture
    • Improve C-AF performance
    • Improve battery life when using the HLD-4 battery holder

Bear in mind that this update will reset all camera settings to factory settings, so make sure you already know your camera settings beforehand or record it on a piece of paper before the firmware is updated so that you can get the E-3 up and running soonest possible. This is one of the advantages of a 100% digital design - firmware in body, lens and flash units can be updated via a simple download. Has anyone already tried it out, and what do you think about the latest firmware? ( Add a comment)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

but i cant download from studio/master yet

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Olympus site still only shows v1.2 firmware update...
    Lester
    Oakland, CA
    OMD EM1 Mk II, E-5, E-3, E-1, E-510

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by OMforLife View Post
    According to DC Watch (following an Olympus announcement), firmware version 1.3 has been announced for the E-3 and will be available mid-February.
    Look for it Mid-February. Today's only the third of February.

Roger
    My Models Portfolio My Weddings Portfolio

Current Equipment: Olympus E10, Leica M9P, Leica M8, Leica M4-P, 28, 35, 50, 75, 90, 135 lenses
    Equipment Emeritus: E20n, E1 w/SHLD-2, e520 kit, FL-40, FL-50, E3 w/HLD-4, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 30 f/1.4, Olympus 25 f/2.8 pancake, 50 f/2 macro, EX-25, PL 25 f/1.4, 14-54, FL-36, 50-200,Panny DMC-L1, Leica 14-50IS, Olympus E5 w/HLD-4, 11-22, 18-180, 35-100, FL-50r, SHV-01 power pack, FL-BK01 bracket