Thread: Orion Nebula

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Default Orion Nebula

With the G1 on my 560mm f/2 telescope. 25s exposure, 100iso.

Okay, I'm off to bed.

Cheers,
    Oly
    Last edited by olyinaz; 01-16-2009 at 02:55 AM.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default Re: Orion Nebula

That's killer. I would love to see your set up.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

f/2 at 560mm?!? Sounds pretty extreme; I'd love to see a picture. Oh yeah, the nebula is beautiful too ...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Oly that is very nice especially for a single exposure.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Excellent work - you do seem to have very fine gear.
    Bill Shinnick
    Pana GH1; 7-14; 14-140; 45; FL-36R.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Beautiful shot! Orion comes through great here in the early morning hours. I'm ready for bed too.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    --Rick Bonanno--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thumbs up Re: Orion Nebula

Real nice!
    Linny

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

how to take pix like these at long exposure without the shifting starfield?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

That is a superb image - I'm impressed. BUT how is it F2?? I've never heard of a scope or lens of that focal length (even with a focal reducer) that gives F2. That would be one huge m****r f****r objective I would think. What is it?

I don't like this. You're making me want a G1 even more than I already do. I just bought an E-520...
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    Olympus E-520 | 14-42mm | 40-150mm (old & new) | 70-300mm | 14-54mm | 9-18mm
    Panasonic FZ28 (superzoom)
    Manfrotto 676B monopod

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

nice work, can almost see the horse head in their,,

f2 scope,, Hmmmmm a big one for sure,,

Derry

Thanks
    Feedback Score

There is to much light pollution where I live to ever see something like this.
    Wonderful image, Oly.
    Now please answer all the questions above. I am no astronomy photographer but you got me interested in the technique.
    Luc

Kalispell Montana, mere minutes from Glacier Park
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

More More More!!!!

Give us more
    If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads,
    you're doing something wrong." óJohn Gierach

Jim
    Visit me at:

www.hillbilly-photo.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Gorgeous photo of the Orion Nebula! Obviously you used a tracking mount for your telescope.

I'm a bit startled by the f/2 aperture on a 560mm telescope, too. If you are using a reflecting scope, those numbers imply an 11 inch mirror, which isn't too huge but the curvature needed for f/2 is optically challenging.

I joined a local ATM group (amateur telescope makers) last year, but I don't know if I'll build one myself. Your photo inspires me to try making a cheap barndoor mount for astrophotography using my existing lenses, up to the 500 mm OM mirror lens. It's only f/8 so my exposure times for deep sky objects will be much longer than yours. I better build a high quality mount!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Hello guys. Thanks so much for the kind comments. Actually, I don't feel as though I deserve them because I'm familiar enough with the output that dedicated deep sky astro imagers achieve through stacking and cooled CCD chips such that I know my efforts are pretty lame by comparison. I do, however, try to take some consolation in the knowledge that this is just one single noise (both sky and camera) filled frame that I did the best I could with. I still need to conquer stacking but it's just one more software hurdle to climb and I swear I feel like I'm going to have a nervous break down every time I contemplate tackling yet another complicated, un-userfriendly software package so I've been avoiding it like an exam.

Regarding the "lens" used, yes Tony, you got it right in that it's an 11" mirror that's been optically tweaked through a very complex, apochromatic multi element lens system in order to prime focus at f/2. My telescope is a Cassegrain type two-stage reflector (in other words the light gets reversed in course once) such that it has a primary mirror (circular ground) and a secondary mirror (aspherically ground) that shoots the light back to the eyepiece at the back of the scope. As such it looks like a giant, fat refractor:

In order to get the exposure times down to a reasonable level such that I can get away with not having an expensive mount (that whole tele, GPS and tracking system and all is about $3000 vs. a really good mount that starts at about $8000...without telescope) what I do is replace the secondary mirror at the front of the telescope (the primary mirror is the big 11" unit at the back of the scope) with a complex lens group called a Hyperstar focal reducer/field flattener (conveniently made by my friends down at my local shop - Starizona) and then mount my camera to the FRONT of the telescope, on the Hyperstar in the place where normally the seconary mirror would be. The Hyperstar changes the optic from 2800mm f/10 (which is great for viewing with the eye) to 560mm f/2 (which is outstanding for wide-field deep sky imaging).

Now here's the rub: The camera goes in front of the mirror (where the secondary used to be) directly in the light path! Canon 1D and Nikon D3 users need not apply!! But the G1 is soooo tiny that it's barely larger than the secondary mirror was, thus it hardly changes the optical path, barely affects the speed of the device, and doesn't even seem to have terrible effects re. the diffraction spikes that one likes to see. Frankly, the G1 is pretty much the size of many astro cameras! How convenient that it doesn't cost what they do.

So that's the explanation. I'll try to give you an image of the camera on the scope but here's a quick shot of the telescope in my backyard dome:

Remember, with the Hyperstar the camera would be out front, not in the back where the eyepiece is in this shot. The refractor piggybacked on there is the one I used to use for taking moon photos (it's a 600mm f/7.5 ED doublet) but now I use it as the finder scope for my big gun.

Hope that answers some questions.

Best,
    Oly

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Oly, very nice set up,, interesting change made to the scope to achieve the f2,,

see your using some TV ep on both scopes,, use to have a 12.5 portaball when I was heavy into astro,, todays scopes left for viewing are my 3.5 Q and my TV85,,

nice dome and should be very easy to roll the way it is made,, from the patio and surrounding environment in the photo you must live in a fairly clean air environment,, could it be near Tucson AZ, one of the most populated scope ownerships in the country,,??

Derry

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Love the POD and a great explanation of the Hyperstar system.

That is a lovely picture of a terrific target and only a 25s exposure. Shooting at f/2 is so great.

I owned a Meade LX200R 10" but did my imaging througha WO 80mm apo that piggybacked on it. My imager was the lowly DSI Pro but I had fun for sure. Sold the LX and bought a WO110 TEC apo and a Takahashi NJP but before I could get to use it I had to sell everything except the 80mm.

That is a lovely picture of a terrific target and only a 25s exposure. Shooting at f/2 is so great.

I am building an astrograph that will be f/4.2 and an 8" mirror. Looks like it will be a while before it is complete with the current economic climate.
    Morris
    APMAmerica.com

E-420 w/ 14-42 & 50-200 SWD Feisol CT-3442 & Markins M-10

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Wow, beautiful result, and a very impressive setup. Still not sure that I understand exactly how it works, but work it does!
    Nate

"There's only one rule in photography - never develop colour film in chicken noodle soup." - Freeman Patterson