Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Domain name registration

Kalispell Montana, mere minutes from Glacier Park
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Default Domain name registration

Anyone have input on registering a domain name? Does it matter who I use, is my primary question. Some are cheap some are spendy. I'm not looking for hosting, development or any frills, simply register, and file the whois stuff. I can do the rest. Go with the cheapest? Go with ? Just want a simple ".com", no godaddy or other dumb name. Found lots, dunno who I trust?
    If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads,
    you're doing something wrong." óJohn Gierach

Jim
    Visit me at:

www.hillbilly-photo.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Domain name registration

I setup a web server at home.

Godaddy.com is cheapest

I purchased a static IP address from my ISP for $10 per month. I registered with Godaddy.com and put the static IP address on the account. Very simple and cheap.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    66 (100%)

I too use Godaddy for domain name and they host about 3 web sites for me.

Domain names are really cheap like $9 per year or cheaper. Once its registered you can connect it to Smugmug Pro Account.
    Greg MacGeorge
    E-500,14-42, 40-150mm, Canon 5DMKII, Canon 7D, Canon 100-400L, 24-70L, 24-105L, 70-200L. 580Ex Flashes
    Nikon D7000, 18-55, 55-200 kit lenses.

www.gekphotography.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Price doesn't really matter. Go with someone reputable. I use GoDaddy for 20 or so domains, and haven't had a problem with them. They do tend to place annoying "Buy This Too" pages everywhere, but you get used to skipping passed them. Another reputable registrar is NameCheap.com -- but I've not personally used them.
    ~ ~ Dave
    unphotographed.com: Critique and comments always welcomed.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I work in IT and have to agree with all the posts. If for some reason you don't like godaddy you can try Register-api.com same price less marketing stuff. But the bottom line is that any of them that port to ICANN are fine. My advice is to set it to auto renew so you don't lose the name. Also, if you are going to market the name then I also suggest picking up .net and .biz to avoid copy cats.
    Timing is everything.

Ty
    E-520
    11-22, 14-54 Mk I, 35, 50 f2, 70-300, EC-14, EX-25

Pics

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Yessir, Godaddy is the way to go. Did it twice, no problems.
    Paul
    E-5 x 2 / E-3 + HLD-4 / E-520 / Oly 11-22mm / Oly 12-60mm SWD / Oly 14-54mm II / Oly 35-100mm / Oly 50mm / Oly 50-200mm SWD / Sigma 50-500mm / Oly 300mm / EC-20 / EC-14 / EX-25 / FL-36 / FL-50R / Gitzo GT2531 Tripod /Jobu Jr Kit Gimbal / Acratech GV2 Ballhead ... and a whole bunch more!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

Another vote for Godaddy.com. I have 10 or so domains there. A good thing about GoDaddy is they have coupon codes for x% or $x off. Not that price should be the only concern, but GoDaddy has a solid rep.

You can goggle GoDaddy coupon codes. there are some right here: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-...207/?start=480 .
    Hope this helps.
    Jeff

Thanks
    Feedback Score

GoDaddy.com has very good support to answer questions.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I use GoDaddy.com too. I have three domain names registered with them, and use their service for hosting my website and doing my business email. I have 10 or 20 G of space there, etc etc. I paid upfront for five years in a lump, which comes out to about $4 per month for everything.

Godfrey

Lower 48 in my 5th wheel during the winter and SE Alaska in the summer
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

GoDaddy.com is by far the least expensive and very easy to work with. i use them exclusively and host 2 accounts with them as well. i have 10 domain names registered with them and email accounts as well...

enjoy,

Jim

if you need any help setting up your site, let me know....
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

E-5, E-30, E-500, - Oly 150 F-2, Oly 9-18, 50 Macro, 40-150, 50-200 non-SWD, Oly 70-300, and 14-54, EC-14, EC-20, FL-36R, Bower SFD9260 TTL Flash, Cokin Pro Z Filter System, Oh, and more than likely, more on the way!!!

Photo Book - Click Here
    SmugMug Pics - Click Here
    Personal Website - Click Here

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

So does you site name say www.blablabla.godaddy.com? Or is the godaddy left out? thats the idea I didnt like, My ISP gives me 100MB free with my service, I was just thinking of rolling my own instead of using smugmug or something else, but I suppose you can link to one from the other?
    Thanks fir the info

Jim
    Visit me at:

www.hillbilly-photo.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

I'm reading all this praise for GoDaddy and scratching my head. You can get full hosting service from 1and1.com for $5 month, which includes a huge amount of server space, hundreds of email IDs, etc. And if all you want to do is get a domain name, it's $8.99 per year.

I can attest that 1and1.com is very reliable. Not only is my website hosted, but other websites I work on like the Hampton Historical Society, the Association of Historical Societies of NH, my condo's website, etc. I've been using them for at least 5 years for the Hampton Historical Society and they are great, with good technical support. We used to pay Yahoo $20/month! Yikes! To look into 1and1, go here:

http://www.1and1.com
    Rich
    Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Flinchbaugh View Post
    So does you site name say "http://www.blablabla.godaddy.com?" Or is the godaddy left out? thats the idea I didnt like, My ISP gives me 100MB free with my service, I was just thinking of rolling my own instead of using smugmug or something else, but I suppose you can link to one from the other?
    Your website name is whatever your domain name might be. For instance, I own both godfreydigiorgi.com and gdgphoto.com ... attempting to go to http://www.godfreydigiorgi.com automaticallyy aliases you to http://www.gdgphoto.com. You can basically set it up to do anything you want, they just provide the service.

I create all my own pages for gdgphoto.com, either by hand coded HTML or using HTML creation tools.

Godfrey

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    66 (100%)

So does you site name say www.blablabla.godaddy.com? Or is the godaddy left out? thats the idea I didnt like, My ISP gives me 100MB free with my service, I was just thinking of rolling my own instead of using smugmug or something else, but I suppose you can link to one from the other?
    Thanks fir the info
    Godaddy hosts my site and it is www.gekphotography.com , www.perfectalibi.us for our band. The domain is exactly how you buy it.

On Smugmug my www.gekphotography.com takes you directly to my Smugmug page.

Its really easy to setup and I can help you once you get everything. Not sure if the domain naming works on Smug accounts other than Pro. REad the Smud details for the different accounts and it'll explain if you can link your domain name.
    Greg MacGeorge
    E-500,14-42, 40-150mm, Canon 5DMKII, Canon 7D, Canon 100-400L, 24-70L, 24-105L, 70-200L. 580Ex Flashes
    Nikon D7000, 18-55, 55-200 kit lenses.

www.gekphotography.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

1. You register the name with a registrar (GoDaddy for example).
    2. Within the registrar you change the Nameserver for your shiny new domain to point to your hosting provider. There will be a page where you can change domain settings. Your hosting provider will tell you what the nameservers are (usually two, for some redundancy).
    3. You then go into the control panel of your host, and setup an Addon domain (that term changes by host, but the principle is the same). If your host only lets you have one domain name associated with a hosting account you may not need to do this -- but you will have to tell the hosting company about your domain name somehow.
    4. Wait a few hours normally, for things to flow around the net.

Now you can access www.yourdomainname.com. GoDaddy will not appear in the domain name at all.
    Last edited by Nepherim; 01-23-2009 at 07:20 PM.
    ~ ~ Dave
    unphotographed.com: Critique and comments always welcomed.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I use godaddy for domain name and Site5.com for hosting.

Works for me!
    Morris
    APMAmerica.com

E-420 w/ 14-42 & 50-200 SWD Feisol CT-3442 & Markins M-10

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

OK. I get the picture. Now I have to decide what I want to do Since I got some free space with my provider I might go ahead and register a domain and mess around some again. I have in the past put together a simple personal web page using the HTML creation tools, I still have them available.
    I do believe you have to use the SmugMug pro account to do any linking with them.
    All I am after at present is developing some "baby steps", so if I should do something down the road, I already have a head start.
    Thanks all

Jim
    Visit me at:

www.hillbilly-photo.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Just to provide a little back pressure from the general godaddy love-in (and I have domains on godaddy as well), in cases of suspected abuse they have earned a reputation for erring on the side of complainants rather than their clients. i.e., they suspend domains at the drop of a hat and make it very difficult to prove one's innocence or even transfer the domain to another registrar. Of course any organization with as many clients as godaddy has will have accumulated its fair share of bad will, but you can read a few horror stories at nodaddy.com.

I also keep domains on a local OpenSRS reseller. Ideally you would find a reseller you know personally (not difficult if you work in a tech field). It's a little more expensive, but I know who to contact if I need things fixed fast.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Real Name
    Lara

I've had a bad experience with making any kind of changes that require tech support for my clients with GoDaddy.

I like Network Solution because I've lost two domains using other companies that have gone out of business and left me hanging. I've been able to get one back so it wasn't all lost but you really need to watch who you register with and make sure they are reputable. Network Solutions might be more expensive but in 11 years of dealing with them, I've never had an issue with straightening out a domain.
    Lara P
    A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed. - Ansel Adams
    E-620 * ZD 12-60 SWD * ZD 50-200 SWD *
    Moderator of the About Me Forum

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I'm using namecheap.com with no problem

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I have domains at about 5 different registrars with about 50 @ godaddy.

Godaddy are one of the easiest to use and I would recommend them because of that. You just have to put up with them trying to upsell you every time you go to the checkout.
    About Bob

Daily Photoblog and Photography Blog

Need somewhere to host a photo - Free Image Hosting

E-3, HLD4, E300, HLD3, ZD11-22, ZD 14-45, ZD14-54, Sigma 30 f1.4, ZD35 Macro, ZD40-150(orig), ZD50-200, EC-14 and EX-25, fl-36.

Lower 48 in my 5th wheel during the winter and SE Alaska in the summer
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Jimbo -I have my main site www.captainjimlucas.com registered and hosted through GODaddy. And from that site I have several links to my smug mug page and I have also set up a couple photo pages using Jalbum. IT is great!

Any questions - drop me a PM or email and I will be happy to help!!

Enjoy,

Jim
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

E-5, E-30, E-500, - Oly 150 F-2, Oly 9-18, 50 Macro, 40-150, 50-200 non-SWD, Oly 70-300, and 14-54, EC-14, EC-20, FL-36R, Bower SFD9260 TTL Flash, Cokin Pro Z Filter System, Oh, and more than likely, more on the way!!!

Photo Book - Click Here
    SmugMug Pics - Click Here
    Personal Website - Click Here

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Well I have gone and done it now. I don't know where I am going yet, but the vehicle is gassed and ready to go. I am now the owner of
    www.hillbilly-photo.com
    A combination of 2 of my favorite things, being a hillbilly and taking pictures
    How much effort does it take to get a SmugMug pro account to pay for itself selling pictures?

Jim
    Visit me at:

www.hillbilly-photo.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by gregmacg View Post

On Smugmug my www.gekphotography.com takes you directly to my Smugmug page.
    FYI - you can't do that with the basic package.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I do believe you have to use the SmugMug pro account to do any linking with them.
    You can do it with the power account.