Thread: December '08 Photo Contest Winners - Triptychs

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ann

Thumbs up December '08 Photo Contest Winners - Triptychs

Congratulations to the Photo Contest winners.

The theme was "Triptychs".
    1st and 2nd prize winners choose your prizes here: http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=42612 and please send me a PM.
    3rd and 4th place winners (as well as 1st & 2nd) will have a chance at the end of the year for the Photographer of the Year.

1st prize winner: #6 Photoshoot with Larry by jforkner. 124 Points

Judges comments (underlined), Voting from 1-5 in each category:

|4| Creativity (1-5): How effectively/dramatically/interestingly is the subject presented?
    Landscapes are an ideal subject for a triptych and this submission was a classic in the style. The subject at hand lent itself very well to the theme, allowing easily for the three separate images.

|5| Composition (1-5): Has the subject been composed appropriately/interestingly?
    Well framed and cropped to emphasise the subject matter.

|4| Lighting (1-5): Has lighting been used appropriately/effectively for the subject?
    A well exposed scene and good use of light and shadow.

|4| Technical (1-5): Has the subject been exposed, focused, etc appropriately/correctly?
    B&W effect has been well rendered. A pity that the largest image doesnít allow for good analysis
    ------------------

|4| Subject (1-5): Does the subject fit the theme?
    |3| Creativity (1-5): How effectively/dramatically/interestingly is the subject presented?
    |4| Composition (1-5): Has the subject been composed appropriately/interestingly?
    |4| Lighting (1-5): Has lighting been used appropriately/effectively for the subject?

|4| Technical (1-5): Has the subject been exposed, focused, etc appropriately/correctly?
    A bit staid, didn't really push the boundaries, but a solid submission
    -----------------

|5| Subject (1-5): Does the subject fit the theme?
    The continuity of the image is found in old school triptychs. The only thing that makes it a non-classic is that the middle panel is not the most important one.

|4| Creativity (1-5): How effectively/dramatically/interestingly is the subject presented?
    The pattern of the clouds directs the eyes to the third (right) part. If you find your way back to the left panel, you notice the photographer and the vehicle are also pointing in that direction. The middle panel has less interest of its own but links the others together.

|4| Composition (1-5): Has the subject been composed appropriately/interestingly?
    It is well divided based on the content.

|5| Lighting (1-5): Has lighting been used appropriately/effectively for the subject?
    Good detail in shadows and highlights.

|5| Technical (1-5): Has the subject been exposed, focused, etc appropriately/correctly?
    ------------------

This image does fit the these well.

|5| Creativity (1-5): How effectively/dramatically/interestingly is the subject presented?
    Very clean design, well thought out arrangement of images.

|5| Composition (1-5): Has the subject been composed appropriately/interestingly?
    Although this is essentially a cut panorama, it works well here.

The only thing that bothers me is the shadow in the foreground.

The exposure of the sky is great.
    ------------------

|3| Creativity (1-5):
    How effectively/dramatically/interestingly is the subject presented?
    |4| Composition (1-5):
    Has the subject been composed appropriately/interestingly?
    |4| Lighting (1-5):
    Has lighting been used appropriately/effectively for the subject?

|4| Technical (1-5):
    Has the subject been exposed, focused, etc appropriately/correctly?
    A good choice of subject in which to create a Triptych. I would have likd to see a bit more emphasis on the middle panel. This is one instance where waiting for the light to fall on the foreground would have possibly given a better photo. What lets this down is that it almost looks like a single image that has been cut into 3 panels, rather than 3 individual images.
    -----------------

Fits perfectly. the scene is well divided.

|3| Creativity (1-5): How effectively/dramatically/interestingly is the subject presented?
    It is a common subject for triptych so i was expecting some of those.

Well composed. the division into thirds made larry his truck and his camera stand out on the left third the rest is perfectly fit into the frame.

|5| Lighting (1-5): Has lighting been used appropriately/effectively for the subject?
    Great use of natural light and a well balanced shot.

|5| Technical (1-5): Has the subject been exposed, focused, etc appropriately/correctly?
    Yes and the choice of B&W is perfect.
    ----------------

2nd Prize Winner: #9 Family - by Mick_Finn. 97 Points

|5| Creativity:
    How effectively/dramatically/interestingly is the subject presented?An excellent interpretation of a triptych. A common subject mischievously rendered, with no doubt as to what the theme is representing.

|5| Composition:
    Very good composition and balance between the subject in each frame.

|3| Lighting:
    Has lighting been used appropriately/effectively for the subject?The shadows in the left and right panels work well, but the harsh lighting in the middle frame tends to unbalance the scene. I know the idea behind the lighting, but the middle frame should have had things subdued slightly, as it didnít quite blend in with the left and right panel. The evidence is in the fact that the same cup doesnít look the same.

|5| Technical:
    Has the subject been exposed, focussed, etc appropriately/correctly?Fits the theme ideally, other than the comments regarding lighting.
    ------------------

I liked this one. Whimsical and the splashes of colour make it work.
    -----------------

The theme is clear and returns in each panel. It is a "real" triptych.

|5| Creativity (1-5): How effectively/dramatically/interestingly is the subject presented?
    Very creative and well executed.

Well balanced and thought of composition.

The lighting in the middle panel is not consistent with the side panels. See also comment of other judge with more detailed explanation.

Apart from the lighting remark everything is fine.
    ------------------

Nice sequence.

Well composed.

|2| Lighting (1-5): Has lighting been used appropriately/effectively for the subject?
    I don't care for the lighting on the three images. I would like to have seen consistent lighting and exposure between the three images.

|3| Technical (1-5): Has the subject been exposed, focused, etc appropriately/correctly?
    Focus is fine, but exposure is off in my opinion.
    -------------------

|3| Composition (1-5): Has the subject been composed appropriately/interestingly?
    |2| Lighting (1-5): Has lighting been used appropriately/effectively for the subject?

|3| Technical (1-5): Has the subject been exposed, focused, etc appropriately/correctly?
    This is a well-thought out idea which was sadly let down in the execution. The lighting varies greatly from shot to shot. With more attention to details this could have been a winner. left is best exposed, center is over exposed, where right is slightly over-exposed but very harsh to boot. They are shot just a tad tight at the bottom, almost cutting off the mug, and leave a bit too much empty space at the top. The middle shot has the 3 brushes at different levels as well.
    -------------------

3rd Place #8 Winter Promenade by zbahu. 42 Points

|3| Composition (1-5): Has the subject been composed appropriately/interestingly?
    |3| Lighting (1-5): Has lighting been used appropriately/effectively for the subject?

This one has the foundations of an excellent submission. The idea of shooting through three bars of a window is neat, but it would have been really nifty if the outer images anchored/reflected each other or amplified the middle one.
    -------------------

Yes, very well. Fits the idea of a triptych.

There are three different area of the same scene presented in what seems like a gradual decline from the bay wall to the beach and pier.

Scenes are straight. Composition is good, with the attention first being drawn to the person sitting in the bottom left corner, then to other aspects of the scenes. Plenty of interesting things to see and wonder about.

I think so. I like the contrasting shadows.

Yes, good exposure and focus on the three scenes.
    -------------------

#8 Winter Promenade
    The underlying theme was just a bit too weak to tie it all together - otherwise a good entry.
    ------------------

4th Place: #3 Dog Training - Drop, Sit, Stay by shrinkpictures. 41 Points

|5| Subject (1-5):
    Does the subject fit the theme?
    There is a continuity in the "story". It fits the theme fine and stayed true to what a triptych is..

|4| Creativity (1-5):
    Interesting, especially for dog lovers.

|4| Composition (1-5):
    The scale is different in each panel but avoiding this would have caused some uninteresting empty space.

|4| Lighting (1-5):
    A little more contrast (slight S-curve) would have been nice.

|4| Technical (1-5):
    Has the subject been exposed, focused, etc.appropriately/correctly?
    Apart from the remark about the lighting everything seems fine to me.
    --------------------

Yes, pretty much. At first glance it seemed like simply portraits of a dog, but upon reviewing it I can see that it sticks with a particular theme and tells a story.

Each panel/shot shows a different command and mood of the subject.

Fairly good composition. There could have been a little more space in front of the subject on the 3rd panel.

Lighting is pretty well done, although I would have liked seeing the subject in the middle pane a bit lighter.

Exposure and focus seem to be good, although it's hard to tell with the subject in the middle panel.
    -------------------

More comments:

#1 Family Life by nrgaudet. 23 Points

Yes.

|5| Creativity (1-5):
    A lesson on taking a mundane shot and making it more interesting. the creativity grade in here is more for the layout then for the subject. well done !

|4| Composition (1-5):
    I love that the focus is in the middle and how the sides are tilted and toned down. the girls elbow seems to be cut by the right side and that's a pity.

|4| Lighting (1-5):
    The main subjects are relatively more lit then the sides and i guess that it was made on purpose but the little girl is too lit for my taste.

|5| Technical (1-5):
    Has the subject been exposed, focused, etc. appropriately/correctly?
    Yes and kudos on the layout.
    -------------------

#1 Family Life
    This is a collage rather than a Triptych.
    -------------------

#10 Astroemeria by Shelley Oconnell. 18 Points

|5| Subject (1-5):

|3| Creativity (1-5):
    I would like to have seen more of a difference between image 2 & 3 unless I am missing something here.

|4| Composition (1-5):
    Refer to the above comment.

|3| Lighting (1-5):
    Not bad, but I would like to have seen the flowers exposed slightly more.

|3| Technical (1-5):
    Has the subject been exposed, focused, etc appropriately/correctly?
    Except for exposure it is very nice.
    --------------------
    #10 Astroemeria
    Another not quite there entry - it needed more - such as a stronger central image.
    --------------------

#4 Iris by silentnight913. 16 Points

|3| Subject (1-5):
    I''m not sure if it fits exactly but i'll let it pass

Good work on taking a flower and making it more interesting.

I would have liked to see the Iris divided into three parts that are composing a single flower and not different parts.

|3| Lighting (1-5): Has lighting been used appropriately/effectively for the subject?
    The background is too dark but i would have liked also to see a better results on the left scene where the flash created a shadow. i wonder if that shot could have been made with available light.

Yes and kudos on the layout. Focused well on the exposure see my comment above.
    -------------------

#4 Iris
    Nothing strong enough to pull the images together for the theme.
    ------------------

#02 The Birth of Christ According to Luke by crussell
    A cropped single image, rather than 3 individual images combined to create a Triptych.

#5 Secret Santa
    This is a collage rather than a Triptych.

#7 Triptych of a triptych
    Just didn't stand out among the other entries.

#11 Art captures art
    I could not work out the underlying thing that tied the images together, and the darker center image was not really complimented and enhanced by the light side panes.
    Appreciate what we have, instead of worrying about what we haven't. Enjoy what is, before it isn't.
    --------
    http://www.scenicphotos4u.smugmug.com
    Moderator/Photo Contests Forum

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: December '08 Photo Contest Winners - Triptychs

Thank you for honoring me with the selection. I'll let Larry know.

Jack

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Default Re: December '08 Photo Contest Winners - Triptychs

Congratulations to a worthy winner and a big thank you to Ann and the judges. I really appreciate the effort put in to these contest. And the fair and well thought through feed back from the judges really helps me in my photography. Thank you all!
    Cheers, Mick
    ---
    http://mickfinn.smugmug.com/
    ---
    Current photo equipment in use:
    Oly E-330,
    Peleng 8mm f3.5 fisheye, ZD 11-22, Leica 14-50 f2.8-3.5, ZD 35mm macro, OM 50mm f1.4, ZD 40-150mm f4-5.6, EC-20, FL-36R, Gitzo 2220 Explorer and Ricoh GX100.