Thread: Expodisc

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Default Expodisc

I've really been doing a lot of indoor sports over the past few months and white balance has been a consistent issue. Often gyms and hockey rinks have mixed lighting and my E3 gets pretty confused sometimes using auto white balance. I've learned to just set my WB to tungsten and to change it later in Lightroom with a batch process, but I also really like getting as much right in the camera as possible and saving myself steps later in post processing.

Anyway, I recently bought an Expodisc for my 50-200 SWD lens. It worked really well my first try out with in at a hockey game so I have to say that I reccomend it. I just clipped it on the end of the lens when I arrived, did a custom white balance reading pointing it out in the middle of the rink where I would shoot and saved the reading in one of the four E3 custom white balance presets. Now whenever I go back to that rink I can just go to that preset and I'm good to go.

Back in Lightroom later it needed no adjustment.

Pros:

• It works
    • It is simple to use
    • It saves time later in pp
    • If you have presets on your camera like the E3 does, you can just save a setting for an environment you often go back too.

Cons:

• I think it is expensive at about $60
    • It comes in a set filter size for your lens, so if you wanted one for each lens that would get expensive.

Kalispell Montana, mere minutes from Glacier Park
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Default Re: Expodisc

The trick is to buy a big one and just hold it in front of whatever lens you're using at the time. Then you only need one
    If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads,
    you're doing something wrong." óJohn Gierach

Jim
    Visit me at:

www.hillbilly-photo.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I recommend it, not only for white balance, but also as a rather good incident light metering device when fitted on a lens. That seems to have been its original purpose.

John.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

As Jim states, get one to fit over your largest lens, and hand hold it over the lens. I have one from the film days and use it on all my digi cams.
    Ken
    E-1 ,C5060 C4000, , SP500, SP570, SZ-12, ,Lots of misc flashes and studio stuff (Gowland 4x5, Hassy)