Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Posting non-FourThirds Photos????

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

Question Posting non-FourThirds Photos????

Some of us own multiple systems and may want to post photos in the photos forum. Is there any interest?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    66 (100%)

Default Re: Posting non-FourThirds Photos????

It might be interesting to see other systems too. Might even get some comparative shots between 4/3 and the others.

I'm OK with it.
    Greg MacGeorge
    E-500,14-42, 40-150mm, Canon 5DMKII, Canon 7D, Canon 100-400L, 24-70L, 24-105L, 70-200L. 580Ex Flashes
    Nikon D7000, 18-55, 55-200 kit lenses.

www.gekphotography.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

Greg,
    I completely agree. I'm just concerned about threads that may become volatile if you know what I mean.
    As it is now, comparative photos are acceptable. I'm thinking something different. I PM'd Tony about it and he's reluctant to open a new sub-Forum which I completely understand so it would have to be incorporated, somehow, into the existing Photos Forum.
    Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I'm in the same boat, Bill. My other systems are mostly film based, but I still use them. I've posted a few from OM bodies, but not from my Bronica, Canon or Nikon systems.

Seems that the main point of the FourThirds Photo forum is to bring together users of those systems, and provide information and support for them.

However, posting photos seems mostly to be showing work and getting feedback, so we can all improve. I think that is more about the photographer than the camera.

So, I think it should be okay to post images from other systems once in awhile, but each person should have the majority of their posts from 4/3 systems cameras.

That way we can honor the purpose of this site, while encouraging creativity, flexibility and learning. I ultimately am more interested in the image than the camera.

Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

Well stated Bob and I completely agree.
    I had suggested to Tony that only subscribers could post non 43 photos but that would take a lot of work and setting up a new forum.
    I moderate the Buy/Sell and would volunteer to moderate Photos so if something gets out of hand it could be dealt with. I'm not aware of who moderates the Photos Forum.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I think its fine as long as non-4/3 photos don't come to dominate. I understand completely the reluctance to set up another sub-forum, but maybe a new prefix could be created to let folks know right off that the topic is non-4/3. That way someone who isn't interested in looking wouldn't have to open the thread in order to find out?
    Nate

"There's only one rule in photography - never develop colour film in chicken noodle soup." - Freeman Patterson

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Bill -

Although I don't post a lot of photos and I only have the Oly system, I think it might be OK to try on a trial basis. As long as rules are posted stating what the useful purpose is (feedback no matter which system, etc.), it might be OK. I also agree with Nate's response and think the prefix system might work well.
    Best Regards, Jim

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Great discussion guys. Let's keep it up till tomorrow and then do something about it.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I agree with what Bill T and the others say subscribers can post, non subscribers cannot , Keep it in the photo section or a Photo DSLR( only) film/other digital make section, just some suggestions . I do apologize for posting a film based photo only wanted show my friends with the same breed of dog I use to own .I do not know whom mods the photo section either? I do know when I see a photo that is well done it gets my thumbs up and 5 stars as you know. Cheers Pete
    Available on iPad and iPhone devices in the Ibook store app
    My Book
    Funny things birds do!
    By Peter Agostini

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

Thanks to those who chimed in. Perhaps a trial with a category tag???

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I don't see that posting photos taken by other brands, simply for the sake of showing photos of personal interest, enhances or improves fourthirdsphoto.com. There are many large sites devoted to general photography, and they occasionally have anemic little sections devoted to 4/3 cameras, but none of them provide the technical, moral, or photographic support for our 6% of the camera market. 43photo has a unique and important strength that I'd like to see left intact.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

Matthew, that's a good point and exactly why I opened this for discussion.
    Thanks for your contribution.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I too would like it to be "OK" to post a limited #of pics from other systems, so long as those are limited submissions. I value the critiques from everyone I have recieved them from and use that as a method to help increase my photographic knowledge and ability. A critique of a non 4/3rds photo may help one to improve their images taken with 4/3rds. I applaud you Bill for stepping up and offering your services to moderate. If someone abuses the rule then the moderator could bring the hammer down on this individual and let others still benefit from member feedback.

CSIGUY
    CSIGUY

"The trouble with most of us, is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism." Norman Vincent Peale

Keep shooting ~ Keep Learning

E-510, 14-42,40-150, Promaster +1, +2, +3 step rings
    FL-36 (wish it was a 50R)
    Promaster SystemPro 1n pro tripod
    Promaster SystemPro Pro 3way head
    SilkyPix 3.0

www.chriskeys.smugmug.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I agree so far. If it's separate, distinguished from 4/3 materials, and its threads do not post on the home-page (or are segregated below the normal listing); and those postings either show topical interest or are somehow made relative to Olympus's pictures (such as relative handling of flare, for instance). Not a bad idea for members only, though I have no preference there.

This forum is for 4/3 and I treasure it for that purpose (and for the family spirit demonstrated here). I rarely ever visit any other.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

I would prefer to have only 4/3 photos on this site. It's what I own, and what I want to see. If I want to see photos from other makes (of which I have many as well), I will go to those specific forums to see their photos.

It's like a company that specializes in pizza. They get the brilliant idea to start offering sub-sandwiches. Then it's hamburgers and hot dogs. Before you know it, their not making any of them as well as they once did pizza, and they have lost their dominance for their specialty.

Just my preference,
    Otto...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

One other point is IF you do a section it could bring in new users to the Four-thirds system through tags or searches. That may switch to Four-thirds seeing the differences is all . This is the only site I go to also. cheers Pete
    My Book
    Funny things birds do!
    By Peter Agostini

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I agree with Matthew pretty much word for word.

In general posting, specifically to photos, I fail to see how it adds to the site.

On the other hand posting comparision shots to aid discussion is entirely another thing and surely well within the current 'rules'.
    E-P1/E3/E30/E510/E400/7-14/12-60/14-42/14-54/S 30 1.4/35/35-100/40-150/50/50-200/EC14/EC20/EX25/2xFL50R/FL36R/RF11/SHV-1/AC-1/AC-2

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

The alternative, of course, is to strip EXIF data and post anyway as is currently done by some.
    I'd prefer to remain honest.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Bill, nor do I try not strip EXIF out ,sometimes in PS it happens. But that would making for a interesting poll.Take 4 like same photo 's OLY, NIK, CAN, Film ( strip out EXIF), see who picks out the best photo over all. and name which is which as in MFG DSLR? The reward is " You got digital eyes pin". cheers Pete
    My Book
    Funny things birds do!
    By Peter Agostini

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Petephoto1 View Post
    Bill, nor do I try not strip EXIF out ,sometimes in PS it happens. But that would making for a interesting poll take 4 like same photo 's OLY, NIK, CAN, Film ( strip out EXIF), see who picks out the best photo over all. and name which is which as in MFG DSLR? The reward is " You got digital eyes pin". cheers Pete
    While interesting, Pete, your suggestion is counterproductive to my proposal and not the intent.
    All of the camera manufacturers make excellent cameras and can produce excellent images with the right person behind the VF.
    Your reply indicates, to me, that, ultimately, this would not be a good idea and that things would be best left alone. I did not intend it to be a contest between manufacturers rather a gallery of images made by like minded photographers.
    That said, I hereby withdraw my original post and suggest the status quo.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_Turner View Post
    ... I did not intend it to be a contest between manufacturers rather a gallery of images made by like minded photographers.
    That said, I hereby withdraw my original post and suggest the status quo. ...
    I agree with you 100% on that, Bill. I don't care what equipment made a photograph if the subject of my interest is the content and effectiveness of the photo. Any camera I've used in the past 30-40 years has been capable of making exceptional photographs.

Anything that adds fuel to the "this equipment vs that equipment" nonsense is counterproductive and best left behind.

Godfrey

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I agree with you 100% on that, Bill. I don't care what equipment made a photograph if the subject of my interest is the content and effectiveness of the photo. Any camera I've used in the past 30-40 years has been capable of making exceptional photographs.

Anything that adds fuel to the "this equipment vs that equipment" nonsense is counterproductive and best left behind.

Godfrey
    Godfrey,
    You were in the back of my mind when I made my original post and thank you for the support.
    I recently picked up a Leica Digilux 2 and would like to share those images with my friends here without getting into brand wars. Unfortunately, due to some of the replies above, that's not going to happen.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

And you miss my point.... no matter what camera it is the photographer behind the camera lastly. I did not make the rules here , Let Tony decide. cheers Pete
    My Book
    Funny things birds do!
    By Peter Agostini

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

And I guess the more I think about it, the more I think it might be counterproductive. 4/3 Photo is, above all, a niche site dedicated to a niche system. Probably best kept that way, since there are already plenty of generalized sites, many of which are so dominated by non-4/3 users so as to discourage submissions by those of alternative aspect persuasion. This being somewhat of a "safe haven", we should probably try to preserve that.
    Nate

"There's only one rule in photography - never develop colour film in chicken noodle soup." - Freeman Patterson

Thanks
    Feedback Score

We all came to this forum understanding that it is specific to the 4/3 system, so I am fine keeping the posting rules the same. I've only posted three images from from other sytems, and they were all Olympus cameras. I will not post more from non-4/3, unless as a comparison.

What about images using a non-4/3 lens on a 4/3 body? (I should go back and read the rules) Much discussion about image quality on this and other forums is that the optics are the most important hardware component of image quality, and digital Zuiko and PanaLeica lenses are what really make the 4/3 system special.

If that is the case, are non-4/3 lenses normally discouraged? If images from any kind of lens is okay, then it seems we are really honing in on the 4/3 sensor as the critical element. To me, this is the digital equivalent of having a Fuji Velvia 50, or Kodak Portra 400 forum, which then starts to diminish my interest.

Conversely, it seems a bit odd that an image from a 4/3 system camera body would be discouraged if, say, it used a legacy OM, Leica, Minolta or Tamron lens. But if the 4/3 lens is the critical factor, then I presume it would not be okay to post an image from, say, a ZD 50/2 macro on a Pentax K20D body, unless it was done as a comparison.

But c'est la vie! If the intent is to limit image posting only to those made entirely from hardware designed for the 4/3 system, I will live with it, even if that narrow definition of "system" is inconsistent with my photography.

Bob