Thread: January '09 Photo Contest WINNERS

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ann

Thumbs up January '09 Photo Contest WINNERS

Congratulations to the Photo Contest winners.

The theme was "Evening Photography w/Natural Light".
    1st and 2nd prize winners choose your prizes here:
    http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=43236 and please send me a PM.

3rd and 4th places (as well as 1st & 2nd winners) will have a chance at the end of the year for the Photographer of the Year.

1st prize winner: #06 Lovers and Fighters by CSIGUY, 112 Points

Judges comments (underlined), Voting from 1-5 in each category:

| 5 | Subject (1-5): Does the subject fit the theme?
    A just after sunset silhouette is a perfect choice for this theme.

| 5 | Creativity (1-5): How effectively/dramatically/interestingly is the subject presented?
    The "lovers and fighters" are really complimented by the rich red/orange hues of the sunset. A wonderful warm abstract that would look great on the wall. A simple photo.

| 4 | Composition (1-5): Has the subject been composed appropriately/interestingly?
    Just a little cramped on the right - would have liked to see a little more "breathing room" for the "lovers" by placing them on a 1/3 line.

| 5 | Lighting (1-5): Has lighting been used appropriately/effectively for the subject?
    Could not have picked a better time of the day or night to capture this scene - maximized the natural lighting very effectively.

| 4 | Technical (1-5): Has the subject been exposed, focused, etc appropriately/correctly?
    The silhouette thistles are just a tad soft - as it is clear that they are the main focal point, the focus should have been on them a little more.

Get a large canvas print of this one!

---------------------------

|5| Subject (1-5): Does the subject fit the theme?
    |5| Creativity (1-5): How effectively/dramatically/interestingly is the subject presented?
    The caption really adds to this photo.

|4| Composition (1-5): Has the subject been composed appropriately/interestingly?
    I think I would have cropped some off both the top and bottom, but this is a personal choice.

|4| Lighting (1-5): Has lighting been used appropriately/effectively for the subject?
    The silhouette look works for this image.

|4| Technical (1-5): Has the subject been exposed, focused, etc appropriately/correctly?
    I like the negatiive space on the left.

Perfectly.

|4| Creativity (1-5): How effectively/dramatically/interestingly is the subject presented?
    Simple but very creative. the red and orange sunset light was used to create a very good silhouette shot. Simplicity is sometimes the key to a great shot.

|4| Composition (1-5): Has the subject been composed appropriately/interestingly?
    Good composition and i loved how the photographer showed the two different couples.

|5| Lighting (1-5): Has lighting been used appropriately/effectively for the subject?
    Yes, a perfect use of available light.

|5| Technical (1-5): Has the subject been exposed, focused, etc appropriately/correctly?
    Nothing to complain about. well exposed, well focused.
    -------------------------------

Beautiful evening colored sky.

|4| Creativity (1-5): How effectively/dramatically/interestingly is the subject presented?
    Simple but effective. Well spotted.

|3| Composition (1-5): Has the subject been composed appropriately/interestingly?
    Maybe there was something on the right that had to be left out but. If not a different framing with some more space there would have been better.

|5| Lighting (1-5): Has lighting been used appropriately/effectively for the subject?
    Nice silhouettes with a beautiful evening glow.

|4| Technical (1-5): Has the subject been exposed, focused, etc appropriately/correctly?
    -----------------------------

Yes, very well.

|5| Creativity (1-5): How effectively/dramatically/interestingly is the subject presented?
    I agree with another in saying "Simple but effective. Well spotted". Very dramatic, and imaginative.

|3| Composition (1-5): Has the subject been composed appropriately/interestingly?
    Perhaps a little less open space on the left and a tad more on the right would have evened it out some.

I like how the beautiful evening colors are set behind the silhouettes.

|5| Technical (1-5): Has the subject been exposed, focused, etc appropriately/correctly?
    Yes, well done.

2nd Prize Winner: #03 Australian Sunset by Bandy, 89 Points

|4| Subject (1-5): Does the subject fit the theme?
    With the horizon on a 1/3 line, the emphasis is on the clouds and the colours. The sun is a little bit too centered and I just want to see more of the scene in almost every direction. The reeds in the foreground give us the perception of depth and the treeline clearly marks the boundary between the reflections and the sky.

|4| Lighting (1-5): Has lighting been used appropriately/effectively for the subject?
    ----------------------

The high contrast adds to the image.

I like the fact the full cloud in the center is included in the image.

The wide dynamic range is nice.

Well done.
    --------------------------------

Taken at the right moment.

Great mood.

|5| Composition (1-5): Has the subject been composed appropriately/interestingly?
    Everything seems to be in the right place. The shape of the clouds helps the composition.

Beautiful light in the sky. Great crisp silhouettes in the landscape. Good lighting on the water.

Nothing to complain about.
    ------------------------------------

---This one just was beautiful. Just loved the colors
    |5| Composition (1-5): Has the subject been composed appropriately/interestingly?

3rd Place: #08 Warp Speed, Mr. Sulu! by bg2b, 60 Points

A fun image that has had a bit of thought put into creating it.

There is a bit too much dark dash that adds nothing. cropping across the bottom would have made for a better image.

|3| Lighting (1-5): Has lighting been used appropriately/effectively for the subject?
    |3| Technical (1-5): Has the subject been exposed, focused, etc appropriately/correctly?
    What I find here is that the focal point is the wing mirror. It really needed to have the whole dash and reflected overhead mirror as the focal points. Opening up the aperture would have allowed a little more light on the car interior.
    -------------------------------

Yes.

You can see this shot had an out of the box thinking behind it.

Not that great, you should crop from the right and from the bottom to avoid dark spots. also maybe changing an angle to get less of the rear view mirror and more of the front glass and side mirror.

It Looks o.k. the out side light makes the dash board look more dark but maybe a better play with the iso and aperture values would have made it brighter.

|3| Technical (1-5): Has the subject been exposed, focused, etc appropriately/correctly?
    It seems as if the rear view mirror is the one "catching" the viewers eye and it's a shame. i would like a better angle to see more of the light surrounding the car.

4th Place: #04 Komatsu by cosmonaut, 59 Points

|3| Creativity (1-5): How effectively/dramatically/interestingly is the subject presented?
    The long exposure makes for a dramatic sky.

The main subject is trying to be centered, but not quite. The Bucket is crammed into the shot - it needs some more room to the right - even though it is stationary, it needs some room to wake up and move off to the right.

|3| Lighting (1-5): Has lighting been used appropriately/effectively for the subject?
    A distant street light and the long exposure worked well.

It just didn't look right - with the very dark sky (which is great) and then the very bright yellow machine. It almost looked like there was additional light. The over-processing of this image in the yellow of the machine really brings it undone - it is too bright compared to the sky even though it is dark. I liked the original one posted in the forums better. The improvements should have come as a result of either a longer exposure or by taking it a bit earlier when there was still a bit more ambient light, rather than "trying to fix it in post".
    -------------------------

Clearly and evening shot.

Shows enough drama for me.

The balance feels right.

The light source seems to be high on the right. So it could be the moon. If so it fits the theme. If it is artificial light we can argue about it. I searched for the meaning of “Flash 255” and found “other light source”. So no flash was used according to exif. (http://www.exif.org/Exif2-2.PDF)

Yes.

--------------------------

--Loved the subject, my only nitpik is I think it needed a little stronger finishing work.
    Great idea though.

MORE COMMENTS

#05 Quiet night in the city by Holmesworks, 21 Points

I like the diagonal row of lights, the tree branch framing the image, and the mound of snow acting as an anchor.

|4| Composition (1-5):
    Has the subject been composed appropriately/interestingly?
    Same as above.

|4| Lighting (1-5):
    Has lighting been used appropriately/effectively for the subject?
    Nice.

|4| Technical (1-5):
    Has the subject been exposed, focused, etc appropriately/correctly?
    I believe the white balance is off. I played around with this image, and I like it better when the snow is white. I apologize if the snow is actually yellow.

#07 Sanctuary by NrthrnHrse, 15 Points

|3| Subject (1-5): Does the subject fit the theme?
    |3| Creativity (1-5): How effectively/dramatically/interestingly is the subject presented?
    It's a bit hazy, but I like how dramatic the colors turned out.

Good composition, but I would rather have seen the trees more the subject than the house.

Not sure where the focus is. Perhaps a longer exposure would have brought the snowcapped trees in the foreground out more, which I think would have balanced it out.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: January '09 Photo Contest WINNERS

I think all the photographs submitted were great! Thank you very much to the judges for your constructive comments, they are very helpful!

CSIGUY
    CSIGUY

"The trouble with most of us, is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism." Norman Vincent Peale

Keep shooting ~ Keep Learning

E-510, 14-42,40-150, Promaster +1, +2, +3 step rings
    FL-36 (wish it was a 50R)
    Promaster SystemPro 1n pro tripod
    Promaster SystemPro Pro 3way head
    SilkyPix 3.0

www.chriskeys.smugmug.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Congratulations CSIGUY! Job well done!
    Olympus: E-510, ED14-42mm, 14-54mm mk1, ED40-150mm mk2, ED50-200mm SWD, FL-50R, Ownuser BH-51R
    Panasonic: Lumix DMC-ZS3
    Canon: PowerShot G2

Kalispell Montana, mere minutes from Glacier Park
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Big applause to all the winners, Good stuff here!
    If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads,
    you're doing something wrong." —John Gierach

Jim
    Visit me at:

www.hillbilly-photo.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Great images, congratulations to the worthy winners!
    Cheers, Mick
    ---
    http://mickfinn.smugmug.com/
    ---
    Current photo equipment in use:
    Oly E-330,
    Peleng 8mm f3.5 fisheye, ZD 11-22, Leica 14-50 f2.8-3.5, ZD 35mm macro, OM 50mm f1.4, ZD 40-150mm f4-5.6, EC-20, FL-36R, Gitzo 2220 Explorer and Ricoh GX100.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Real Name
    Lara

Congratulations to all the winners! Great job!
    Lara P
    A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed. - Ansel Adams
    E-620 * ZD 12-60 SWD * ZD 50-200 SWD *
    Moderator of the About Me Forum

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Excellent winning image from CSIGUY, love those rich dusk colours and as a judge said, get it printed large!

great job from everyone who took part

Colin