Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GH1 Preview

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default AVCHD bandwidth efficiency

Quote Originally Posted by Coolio View Post
    Sandisk II & III are expensive hyperkill for video

Fastest speed you get with Canon 5DMkII and Canon SX1 - both take 1920x1080 with 43 Mbps - you find on no consumer camcorder.

This are ~ 5.4 MBps - each Class6 card is enough. A Class4 maybe ( - but must not be) too slow.
    I just read on a Wiki page about the datarates for the AVCHD:
    • up to 24 Mbit/s (AVCHD conforming to H264 High-Profile, Level 4.1)
    • up to 17 Mbit/s (AVCHD conforming to H264 Main-Profile, Level 4.0)

With the dual-CPU of the "Venus Engine HD image processor", they are actually compressing the data to 17 Mbit/s.

The EOS-5DMkII must have a weak video encoder and processor, since Canon doesn't manage to compress the data down to the High-Profile of 24 Mbit/s. That's a bandwidth waste, or they might prioritize battery energy over memory space.

Is it also true that the video recording is limited to 29 min 59 sec, otherwise the DSLR will be classified as a video camera and will be targeted with a higher European toll rate?

Flash memories are cheap, so why not buy the best performing ones, in order to lower the downloading time as well. Also, the UDMA memories (300x) are a vast improvement over all slower memories in the E-400 & E-3 cameras. Don't need to compare with xD to appreciate the speed improvement.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Default Re: GH1 Preview

Quote Originally Posted by ckrueger View Post
    Is that PR video public, Tony?
    I asked about it, but I am not holding my breath. I am trying to get more info, but with Panasonic its a bit like pulling teeth some times.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks for all your hard work, Tony! You're our man in the trenches.

By the way, I found a larger video sample that you can see on Panasonic's site. Still not all that good, but a lot better than Panasonic's micro clips:

http://vms.slashgear.tv/video/183.mp4

Be warned this is a file like that's about 35MB!

It's 1280x720 @ 24fps, and the video is obviously downsampled. But it's the best I've seen so far, and it does show a complete lack of noise while zooming.

(Strangely, the person speaking about the phone says aperture cannot be changed while filming video, but it appears the person operating the camera is changing something that's changing the exposure value of the camera. It's difficult to say if it is aperture or not... look for yourself and you'll see what I mean.)
    Chris

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Ok, The promo video that they showed the press claimed that you could, and you will see the sample pictures on my little preview I even took a picture of the menu setting, where I show how you can change the F stops/Shutter/Manual modes. So you can. The Panasonic employees at the both though did not know how to do it and were telling people that it could not be done, because they haven't been told how the camera works. So the second day of PMA I went down and gathered them all around me and showed them how to do it. So unless they change the camera by the time it goes live, you should be able to do it w/ no problem.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Wow Tony, did you charge them a training fee?

Thanks for clearing that up!
    Chris

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Just on the offhand, do you know if you can shoot with a shutter of 1/48th (or close to it) in video mode at 24p? There's a rumor that you can only shoot 1/60th of a second or faster in video mode.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

That one I don't know, Hopefully they get out to the press units soon.