Thread: E-30 Veiwfinder Issue

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Exclamation E-30 Veiwfinder Issue

When on center focus, the two squares to the right of it light up enough to be very distracting. If you press the focus selection button, select the center square, look to the right as you hold the button down and see the others light up, point it at something dark. Reset did not fix. Called tech support, they said it was a reflection issue the one he had was doing it to. Not being satisfied, I asked them to escalate, they did and I received a call back the next day. The E-30 he had did the same, was told it was a design flaw and no fix was in order. Told him that was unacceptable, he said he would check more. Three of Three E-30's with the same issue, not good odds.
    Doe's anyone else have the same issue and if they do they need to call Tech support.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    66 (100%)

Default Re: E-30 Veiwfinder Issue

Quote Originally Posted by fullstrutt View Post
    When on center focus, the two squares to the right of it light up enough to be very distracting. If you press the focus selection button, select the center square, look to the right as you hold the button down and see the others light up, point it at something dark. Reset did not fix. Called tech support, they said it was a reflection issue the one he had was doing it to. Not being satisfied, I asked them to escalate, they did and I received a call back the next day. The E-30 he had did the same, was told it was a design flaw and no fix was in order. Told him that was unacceptable, he said he would check more. Three of Three E-30's with the same issue, not good odds.
    Doe's anyone else have the same issue and if they do they need to call Tech support.
    I ahve an E-30 but haven't noticed this issue or perhaps I'm doing something different. I only use center point as focus. I'll check it again tonight when I return home.
    Greg MacGeorge
    E-500,14-42, 40-150mm, Canon 5DMKII, Canon 7D, Canon 100-400L, 24-70L, 24-105L, 70-200L. 580Ex Flashes
    Nikon D7000, 18-55, 55-200 kit lenses.

www.gekphotography.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks, If you do not have the issue, what is the serial number. Could possibilty be a production run??????

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Hey, as long as your doggone VFs aren't TILTED some of us E-3 shooters think you're doing pretty well!

Discontentedly,
    Oly

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Hey, I am an E-3 shooter, and a E-520, E-510, E500, E420, E330, E300, E-1 shooter. Before that 35mm, started with an M-1 went to OM1, 1n ,2, 2n, 3, 4. See I am also a collector of Oly, from 1946 to present every series they made. Look at my M-1 collection, search Olympus M-1, go to dementia.com. I love my E-3, paired with the 300mm, 150mm and the 90-250mm, unbeatable for Nature. Knock on wood this is the first problem I have had with a Oly.

Ken

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Hi Ken,

I have an E-30 and didn't notice this until I read your post. With the camera set on center point only and using the 12-60 mm lens I don't notice the right hand target showing anything. When I use the 70-300 mm lens I do see it. It looks like a reflection to me. Only the two upright portions of the target image appear to light up and they seem only about half as bright as the center target. I'll notify Olympus that I'm seeing this.
    Jim
    E-5, E-30, E-330 IR, 12-60mm, 50mm Macro, 70-300mm, 9-18mm, 40-150mm, FL-50R
    My Smugmug Site

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks, I see it with all my lens, but do not have the 70-300mm to confirm. I first noticed it with the 12-60mm.
    Ken

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I see it too. The box to the right of the center box lights up slightly on it's left side.
    I tested on my 12-60 and 50-200, both show the same. Mounted the Sigma 30mm. Same story. The lens is not the issue.

Box on right of center box.
    [ ]
    ^
    |
    This side lights up, but less bright.

But I have to be really honest. If you didn't point this out I would not have noticed it. And I don't really see what the problem is. The audio focus lock is what I take notice of, not so much the red focus indicators. And if I use center-focus only, my eye is concentrated on the center spot anyway. I guess it's personal, red is not a color I tend to pick up easy because I'm partially colorblind. In a green field I see a bright yellow/blue flower 10 times sooner then a red one.

But I will see if I can contact Olympus anyway to see what they say.
    Last edited by thx1138; 03-13-2009 at 02:52 PM.
    E-30/E-PL1/OM-D E-M5/E-M1
    ** Micro 14-42mm ** Micro 45mm f/1.8 ** Micro 17mm f/1.8 **
    ** 40-150mm II ** 9-18mm ** 12-50mm **
    ** ZD 150mm f/2 ** 12-60mm SWD ** 50-200mm SWD **
    ** Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ** EC-20 ** Two FL-36R **
    ** Samyang 85mm f/1.4 ** OM 50mm f/1.8 + f/1.4 **
    ** Leica Elmarit 180mm f/2.8 ** Vivitar 35-70mm f.2.8-3.5 **
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/thx1138sgl/

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I can see it too, also on the left side of the center square, with even less intensity.
    But it is so weak that I'm not disturbed at all.
    A luxury problem to me ...

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by thx1138 View Post
    But I have to be really honest. If you didn't point this out I would not have noticed it. And I don't really see what the problem is. The audio focus lock is what I take notice of, not so much the red focus indicators.
    Are you guys saying the red box lights up when it locks focus? On the E3 it lights up when you initiate focussing. The beep and the green dot appear when focus locks.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I am distracted by the presense of the other box's lighting up when I am tring to close focus or focus in on the eye of my subject. I do alot of wildlife work and distractions can cause you to miss the shot. I know it is focusing corectly, but that little extra light make's me look twice or re-focus again...What really makes it a big deal is Olympus saying it is a design flaw and right now there is no fix. If I had known of this problem I would have gotten another E-3. I am still working with them on this, but the more complaints about the problem, the more likely it will get resolved. When you press and hold the selection button you will see it much better. If you buy a new car with a design flaw, what will you do...Take it back for repair, right. I work hard for my money and if I purchase something it should work at 100% with no problems. I do not have any issue's with my other E-series cameras. I am not tring to cause any problems, all I am saying is I want a fully operational E-30 with no design flaws or other problems. If it does'nt bother you that's OK. I just think for the money, it should be flawless.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Never noticed it before you brought it up. Just tried out only the 12-60 and it is faintly there. Not enough to bother me, but each person is different. (Then again the "problem" with the information and the viewfinder being blurry I did not notice until someone else pointed it out and it still doesn't bother me.)
    Steve

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    66 (100%)

I did check on my E-30 and it does it sometimes not every time. I tried my 50-200 non SWD and it shows more when I'm zoomed out to 200.

I also tried it with my new 14-54mm mkII which I just got today and it only does it sometimes. Not every time. I didn't try my 12-60mm yet but I'm sure its there. Mine only lights the left side of the right square, very very faintly.

I'm not sure I'll report it to Olympus as it really doesn't bother me much at all.
    Greg MacGeorge
    E-500,14-42, 40-150mm, Canon 5DMKII, Canon 7D, Canon 100-400L, 24-70L, 24-105L, 70-200L. 580Ex Flashes
    Nikon D7000, 18-55, 55-200 kit lenses.

www.gekphotography.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Same problem here.
    Paul

“Cameras don’t take pictures, people do”

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I am distracted by the presense of the other box's lighting up when I am tring to close focus or focus in on the eye of my subject. I do alot of wildlife work and distractions can cause you to miss the shot. I know it is focusing corectly, but that little extra light make's me look twice or re-focus again...What really makes it a big deal is Olympus saying it is a design flaw and right now there is no fix. If I had known of this problem I would have gotten another E-3. I am still working with them on this, but the more complaints about the problem, the more likely it will get resolved. When you press and hold the selection button you will see it much better. If you buy a new car with a design flaw, what will you do...Take it back for repair, right. I work hard for my money and if I purchase something it should work at 100% with no problems. I do not have any issue's with my other E-series cameras. I am not tring to cause any problems, all I am saying is I want a fully operational E-30 with no design flaws or other problems. If it does'nt bother you that's OK. I just think for the money, it should be flawless.

I don't agree with that last part. Do you mean that people spending less money on a simpler camera should take a design fault or 2 for granted ? This is not how things work. A Ferarri in general has more issues then a Subaru. It's about QC and design, not price although they are somewhat related. Everyone is entitled the same amount of reliability, no matter how much they spend.

I do agree that Olympus should take this seriously and be honest and clear. For instance saying a repair or fix is beeing looked into. I would hate it when they try to cover it up. So the more people call this in the better. I already send them an email. Like I said, it doesn't bother me personally, but I understand that others might find it anoying.

A car with a design flaw I will take back, but before I do that I estimate the impact of the problem. If a rear seatbelt is faulty and nobody sits in that spot anyway, it can wait. If a small led on the stereo sometimes flashes, it can wait or I skip it altogether.
    The difference with cars is that you service them regularly. Not the case with camera's. I hate to bring in my gear at a service center. Even if I have the right to do so. Call it lazy I guess. I still have to bring in my 50-200 for an issue with the front lens element. But it doesn't affect my shots so I keep postponing it until I come closer to the 1 year warranty date limit.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Question Re: E-30 Veiwfinder Issue

All I am saying is that this is an issue that needs to be seriously addressed and resolved. Overlooking it does not make it go away. I really appreciate the response's I am receiving and understand that it may not bother other photographers. Perhaps mine is showing up brighter than others, but on the box to the right of the center, is about half the brightness as the as the center when you focus. It is on all my lens 25mm, 50mm Macro, 150mm, 300mm, 12-60mm, 50-200mm, 90-250mm and a Sigma 50-500mm. I know that this camera is not the Quality of the E-3, but neither are the others I have. For the price paid, I am really having a difficult time just accepting it and moving on. I could have gotten another E-3 for that price, but chose the E-30 for the increased megapixals. The more people that bring this problem to Oly's attention, even if you can live with the issue, the greater the chance of it being resolved. Am I being to difficult?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

No not to difficult.
    But perhaps not everyone would've jumped on the phone right away like you did. We're all different, thankfully. Give it some time, and the community will respond and I hope Oly will too.

I found another way of having the problem show up. As I move through the 11 focus points, while pointing the lens at a dark area, I see the 'ghosting effect' on the other focus points. I don't even have to focus-lock by half pressing
    Last edited by thx1138; 03-16-2009 at 08:08 AM.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I am sure that something can and will be worked out. Glad to see that it's just not me, and sometimes I get to fustrated to fast, guess it is the 21 years of Military life "Get it Done and Done now". I will find out more Monday. Thanks all for helping me out......

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by thx1138 View Post

I found another way of having the problem show up. As I move through the 11 focus pionts, while pointing the lens at a dark area, I see the 'ghosting effect' on the other focus points. I don't even have to focus-lock by half pressing
    Hi, new e-30 user here, i found that too, moving the focus point then half pressing. The adjacent focus point lights up faintly. I would think this have to do with the OVF magnification ala ME-1. Somehow this results to viewfinder issues such as the OOF info bar and now this.
    Did not notice it till now and doesnt bother me either.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

After reading this thread I checked my E-30. Sometimes I can barely see it, but only if I position my eye off-center and aim into a dark area. I have to position my eye in an unnatural way in which I would never hold the camera, so for me it's a non-issue. It is hardly distracting since I concentrate more on the image in the viewfinder than the viewfinder displays.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I am sure that something can and will be worked out. Glad to see that it's just not me, and sometimes I get to fustrated to fast, guess it is the 21 years of Military life "Get it Done and Done now". I will find out more Monday. Thanks all for helping me out......
    Strikes me that if it's a design flaw then it may well be a design compromise ie something else has conciously been done that is perceived as a positive and the result is this negative.

This is common in just about everything we buy and use.

There may well be no solution (fix), at least none that they could find at the time.

That you are the first to be sensitive to the issue, assuming that all units are doing the same thing, may be a vindication of their decision. Only real way to check is to try out a couple more bodies yourself.

At the end of the day if it is as above, and it is unaccptable to you, then you should return it as such. I am sure Olympus will take it back at this point and organise a refund.

A friend just had to get the wheels on his brand new car replaced. They were a manufacturer option, expensive and stunning to look at - but they created a lot of additional wind noise. This was unaccptable to him and they agreed - notwithstanding a lot of people bought them and were happy (maybe they had their stereo up higher!).
    E-P1/E3/E30/E510/E400/7-14/12-60/14-42/14-54/S 30 1.4/35/35-100/40-150/50/50-200/EC14/EC20/EX25/2xFL50R/FL36R/RF11/SHV-1/AC-1/AC-2

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Baxter View Post
    Are you guys saying the red box lights up when it locks focus? On the E3 it lights up when you initiate focussing. The beep and the green dot appear when focus locks.
    I only see the red targets while the lens is focusing. Once focus lock is obtained, I get the beep and green dot.
    Jim
    E-5, E-30, E-330 IR, 12-60mm, 50mm Macro, 70-300mm, 9-18mm, 40-150mm, FL-50R
    My Smugmug Site

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I got a reply from Olympus Europe.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Only one frame should light up.

The best is to return it to the shop it was purchased in to have it sent for repair.

If this is not possible due to it is a gift, it is bought from Internet or it is not under warranty any more (you have two years) you have to turn to your local Olympus Customer Support department, Olympus UK (9.00 am to 5.30 pm Mon - Fri) on the following:
    Tel +44 01 923 831 201 (and select Option 4)
    Email customer-support@olympus.uk.com
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

So there it is. If it's really a design issue, the repair will not make it any better. I'm pretty sure it'll keep returning every time. Also Oly doesn't seem to realize just yet it's a common issue, which would make it pointless to have every single user return it's camera for repair. Unless we have more people telling they don't have the problem.

I'll not send it in. Too much fuss for me personal and it's doesn't weigh up to the problem.