Thread: Feb/March 09 Photo Contest Winners

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ann

Thumbs up Feb/March 09 Photo Contest Winners

Tony will be working on the POTY (photographer of the year).

Congratulations to the Feb/March Photo Contest Winners.
    This month's theme was "Sell That House".

1st prize winner choose your prizes here, and please send me a PM.
    2nd prize winner will receive the next prize after 1st prize winner has chosen theirs.
    3rd and 4th places (as well as 1st & 2nd winners) will have a chance at the end of the year for the Photographer of the Year (POTY).

First Place prize winner:
    #6 - Wrong's House Sold Right by bwenzel - 103 Points.

Judges comments:

|5| Subject (1-5): Does the subject fit the theme?
    |4| Creativity (1-5): How effectively/dramatically/interestingly is the subject presented?

Nice use of windows.
    |3| Composition (1-5): A little straight on with the home shot and cuts off some inside.
    Garage was made center of attention and it should have been shot more to the right.
    |5| Lighting (1-5): Has lighting been used appropriately/effectively for the subject?
    Spot on.
    |5| Technical (1-5): Has the subject been exposed, focused, etc appropriately/correctly?

|4| Creativity (1-5): How effectively/dramatically/interestingly is the subject presented?

I like to see windows in an architectural shot.
    |4| Composition (1-5): A little straight on with the home shot and cuts off some inside.
    I would have liked to see the outside shot taken from a higher angle.
    |5| Lighting (1-5): Has lighting been used appropriately/effectively for the subject?
    Very nice balance between inside and outside lighting.
    |5| Technical (1-5): Has the subject been exposed, focused, etc appropriately/correctly?

Yes.
    The inside shot really good and with a great timing.
    |4| Composition (1-5): Has the subject been composed appropriately/interestingly?
    The outside shot is boring but sometimes that's all you got. the inside shot is very good. I would like to see the edge of the fireplace on the expense of some of the left window.
    This photographer knew the exec time of the day to get the perfect lighting for both shots. the outside shot got enough light on the house and soft light to have well lit blue skies. the inside shot is perfect. the light coming in from the windows adds a lot to the composition. it also makes the room and his colors to be more warm and inviting.
    |4| Technical (1-5): Has the subject been exposed, focused, etc appropriately/correctly?
    Yes.

|3| Creativity (1-5): How effectively/dramatically/interestingly is the subject presented?
    |2|Composition (1-5): Has the subject been composed appropriately/interestingly?
    The garage doors, very detracting from the property.
    |4| Lighting (1-5): Has lighting been used appropriately/effectively for the subject?
    Nice job on the interior balancing the flood of light. The exterior is a bit blah.
    |3| Technical (1-5): Has the subject been exposed, focused, etc appropriately/correctly?
    Good DOF, everything's sharp.

|4| Composition (1-5): Has the subject been composed appropriately/interestingly?
    The best of all entries in the composition - just let down by the slight converging exterior shot.
    |3| Lighting (1-5): Has lighting been used appropriately/effectively for the subject?
    It is right up there - but the light from the windows on the floor destroy all the detail - A little more attention would have made this a winner.
    |3| Technical (1-5): Has the subject been exposed, focused, etc appropriately/correctly?
    The resizing has left jaggies around the ceiling and large picture frame.

2nd Place Prize Winner:
    #5: Build it and they will come.......to buy...........hopefully. by Will in Tejas - 82 Points

Judges comments:

I would have liked to see a little wider angle.
    The angles are fine, but, again, I would have liked to have seen more.
    Spot on.

I like the angle of the outdoor shot.
    I don't care so much for the angle of the kitchen shot, but understand some times you don't have an option.
    |4| Lighting (1-5): Has lighting been used appropriately/effectively for the subject?
    The reflections on the oven bother me. A bit of fill on the foreground would be nice.
    |4| Technical (1-5): Has the subject been exposed, focused, etc appropriately/correctly?

|3| Creativity (1-5): How effectively/dramatically/interestingly is the subject presented?
    Shows the property. Kitchens and baths sell houses.
    Nicely lit.

|3| Composition (1-5): Has the subject been composed appropriately/interestingly?
    Step back for that outdoor shot - it is too cramped. Pick a different angle inside to show more than 1 wall. Be careful of verticals inside.
    |3| Lighting (1-5): Has lighting been used appropriately/effectively for the subject?
    Hotspots on the stove, cupboard and over bench top.

3rd & 4th Places are a tie. In order of entries:

#3 No Title (House with pool) by shrinkpictures - 58 Points

Judges comments:

Yes.
    I loved the vertical approach on both shots.
    |3| Composition (1-5): Has the subject been composed appropriately/interestingly?
    I don't like the composition on the pool shot. I would recommend including the tree/s on the left and having less distraction on the right side. Another option is to stand inside the pool and photograph from that POV towards the house. In addition, the shot in general seems to be tilted a tiny bit to the left. The bathroom shot is composed very well but you should either include the towel to the right or just get rid of it completely I loved the door and the window, they add color and character to this white room.
    The outside shot came at a right time and the house is well exposed with a very good DR. The bathroom shot is well lit wit hthe flash but needs a tiny bit more fill on the right side.
    Yes.

Shows the property. Kitchens and baths sell houses. But back yard should have been cleaned up.
    Nicely lit.
    Good DOF, everything's sharp. Staging is what kills this one.

Staging lets it down a little.
    Vertical choice for outdoor shot compliments the interior shot.
    Lighting is well balanced in both shots to show off the features.
    No major flaws.

#4 Promontory View Apartments by Pontiac005 - 58 Points

Judges comments:

I would have liked to see the ground as a reference point in the outdoor shot.
    Nice lighting of the living area. I just wish the window was not blown out.

Perhaps the exterior should have showcased an aspect of the apartment block that made it look more special, rather than just the suite's balcony...
    Shows the property. Remotes on hassock detract.
    Nicely lit.

Verticals not vertical.
    Let down by the blown out window - part of the frame is lost in the white.

More Comments:
    #1 Eco showhouse at Overton by ??? (will revise) - 56 Points

|5| Subject (1-5):
    |4| Creativity (1-5): This is a cool house that could have used a little more dramatic angles. As a house for sale, the person inside is a no-no. You don't want people to think of it as someone else's house, but as *their house.
    |3| Composition (1-5): That fence is so nice, it is unfortunate more of it isn't seen.
    |4| Lighting (1-5): Hair touch underexposed.
    |4| Technical (1-5): The white balance is off indoors.

|5| Subject (1-5):
    |3| Creativity (1-5):

|3| Composition (1-5): Shows the property, but who's that sitting on the deck? They come with the house?
    |2| Lighting (1-5): It's a bit bleak, both inside and outside.
    |3| Technical (1-5): Good DOF, everything's sharp, but it's a bit dark for my taste

|5| Subject (1-5):
    |4| Creativity (1-5):

|4| Composition (1-5): I take off marks for the following - having a person visible on the balcony.
    |3| Lighting (1-5): Outdoor - very flat sky - almost blown (choose another time of the day) Indoor - the WB -gives us a Blue appearance to the outdoor part of the scene, the lights in the living area are blown out on the ceiling.
    |4| Technical (1-5): Just slight convergence on the outdoor shot, bright side of the building distracting. Part of range hood not sharp.

Comment by one of the judges:

General Comment - all are better than the average MLS for sale photos - well done to the participants on a fairly technically challenging subject.
    Last edited by AnnF; 04-14-2009 at 04:29 PM.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Re: Feb/March 09 Photo Contest Winners

Quite nice photos all around. As was noted by the judges, they definitely outshone the typical MLS photos.

Congrats to the winners!

Any word on what the next contest subject will be?

Thanks,

- Rick
    Cameras: Yes.
    Lenses: Yes.
    Lighting: Sometimes, depending upon needs.
    Misc.: Other stuff, as needed.

CrayonPhotos.com ... pictures that draw you in.
    Follow me on Twitter.
    Like me on Facebook.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

Thanks Ann, judges, Rick, and Will. My very first win! I feel so accomplished

Because of this site, I take better pictures. Thank you to all who have helped me!
    E-5, E-500
    9-18, 12-60, 14-42, 40-150, 50-200, 70-300, 50
    FL-50R, FL-36R
    I dig LR4 and Tiffen DFX software

-Brad

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Congratulations Brad. Excellent job taking on the subject.

When I first saw your interior shot and the use of natural light over a significant portion of living space I knew the photo would be a hard one to beat.

Thanks for the comments from the judges. Being a home builder and taking photos of our homes myself, the comments will help me do a better job doing it.