Thread: E-410 settings for indoor wedding shots

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Smile E-410 settings for indoor wedding shots

Hi everyone,

I'm going to shoot some pictures at my friends wedding in september, and I'm wondering if anyone here can recommend what settings to use. It's the pictures that will be taken inside the curch I need help with.

Pictures of the curch:

http://www.ub.uit.no/baser/arkinord/...87&l=norwegian

My equipment is as follows:

E-410
    Kit lens 14-42mm
    Kit lens 40-150mm
    Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 DC EX MACRO
    FL-36
    Tripod

I usually use a omni-bounce diffuser, but I'm also in possesion of a LumiQuest mini softbox. What do you recommend to use?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: E-410 settings for indoor wedding shots

Wow, it's a bit dim in there. I've not done a wedding, but if you are permitted to use a flash, that's going to really help. Since it's the 36R you don't have to (and probably shouldn't) put it on the camera body. I would think the softbox will be pretty useless because it will cut down the light so much and you can't really position it in close to the bride and groom without being a distraction for the guests. You might need an additional flash for power especially if you do ceiling bounce.

That Sigma is a bit faster than either of the two kit lenses, if the IQ is good, I'd use that. As you don't have image stabilization, you'll likely be shooting wide open at ISO 400 or ISO 200 with no flash. Then again, you only have about a stop faster on the Sigma and the 40-150 will get in tight. I would not think a wide angle would be particularly useful for the shots of the bride and groom, so since the 14-42 covers hardly any territory that the 18-50 doesn't, I'd leave that out and pack the 18-50 and the 40-150. Your mileage may vary. Wedding dresses, if pure white, are potentially problematic. I would make sure that highlight alert indicator is ON for preview so you can be sure to not blow out the dress.

If I was doing my first wedding, I'd invite (beg) another photographer to come along and take additional shots. Redundancy and all that, no possibility of reshoots.

I would shoot RAW for this one. You will need all the image quality you can get because it's possible you'll have to tweak the RAW data quite a bit before everything's just right. If you shoot JPEG it's just gone.

As I said, I have not photographed a wedding, but photography is photography. Indoor with a camera like the 410 is tricky and that situation is one of the reasons fast lenses are built. However, it's not hopeless, but I would not trust just one camera in that situation. Even if I couldn't find another photographer, I'd rent a full frame DSLR and a zoom lens and use that for some shots, alternating between the 4/3 and the FF camera.

I haven't found myself in that situation yet but I would likely decline to do it if I valued my friendship with the bride and groom. Knowing my own skill level makes me doubt myself- even though I've gotten some nice shots, I've not had to shoot moving people in low light from a hand held camera without IS. That's a tough task and I would be terrified to not have at least a dozen great shots, so I'd buy a big CF card and shoot like a madman. I'd probably rent a Canon 5D and set to ISO 1200 and use that. The one limitation of current sensors in 4/3 is ISO performance and for archive quality shots we're just not there yet in low light.

Unless I'm wrong. It's been known to happen a lot.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Mostly good advice, I think you'll be fine. Check out the E-410 at higher ISOs and see how much noise you will get. Push it to 800 if you can.

I shoot weddings with an E-3 and an E-30 at 800 ISO with a 50-200mm and a 12-60mm, usually use a tripod during the ceremony whenever I can. I either stay halfway down in the middle of the aisle if allowed, or off to the side up front if there is enough left-right space...sometimes both. The alter area is usually bright enough. Use the tripod and shoot at 1/30th.

Just get as physically close as you can without being rude -- the pastor will answer you if you ask him what his rules are.

I use a Gary Fong diffuser and keep my FL-50R on the camera for abouit everything, and it does just fine. You usually can shoot procession from the front, and just wait for them to walk to you, shoot wide for that. Remember you have recycle time too (practice if you need to).

You might even try shooting formals with the 50-150mm if the group is not too large, just step back. Just don't be tempted to go too wide with the 18, remember wide angle shots tend to be unflattering.

Most reception halls are dark so shoot your strobe at 400-800 ISO if you can, and at about f3.5 or 4 at 1/30 to brighten backgrounds and avoid that "cave" look.

Check out some of the wedding-oriented sites with pictures, and plan your shoot. That will help enormously. Good luck.

Bob
    Oly E-5 (2), E-P3, E-3, E-30, E-520 // HLD-4(3), 50-200SWD,Sigma 50-500,150, 35-100,12-60SWD,14-35,7-14,50,35,Lumix 25,8,1.4x, // FL-50R(4), HV-1 // Analog: Mamiya M645 & RB67, Calumet 4x5 www.deanphotoarts.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Wow, it's a bit dim in there. I've not done a wedding, but if you are permitted to use a flash, that's going to really help. Since it's the 36R you don't have to (and probably shouldn't) put it on the camera body. I would think the softbox will be pretty useless because it will cut down the light so much and you can't really position it in close to the bride and groom without being a distraction for the guests. You might need an additional flash for power especially if you do ceiling bounce.

That Sigma is a bit faster than either of the two kit lenses, if the IQ is good, I'd use that. As you don't have image stabilization, you'll likely be shooting wide open at ISO 400 or ISO 200 with no flash. Then again, you only have about a stop faster on the Sigma and the 40-150 will get in tight. I would not think a wide angle would be particularly useful for the shots of the bride and groom, so since the 14-42 covers hardly any territory that the 18-50 doesn't, I'd leave that out and pack the 18-50 and the 40-150. Your mileage may vary. Wedding dresses, if pure white, are potentially problematic. I would make sure that highlight alert indicator is ON for preview so you can be sure to not blow out the dress.

If I was doing my first wedding, I'd invite (beg) another photographer to come along and take additional shots. Redundancy and all that, no possibility of reshoots.

I would shoot RAW for this one. You will need all the image quality you can get because it's possible you'll have to tweak the RAW data quite a bit before everything's just right. If you shoot JPEG it's just gone.

As I said, I have not photographed a wedding, but photography is photography. Indoor with a camera like the 410 is tricky and that situation is one of the reasons fast lenses are built. However, it's not hopeless, but I would not trust just one camera in that situation. Even if I couldn't find another photographer, I'd rent a full frame DSLR and a zoom lens and use that for some shots, alternating between the 4/3 and the FF camera.

I haven't found myself in that situation yet but I would likely decline to do it if I valued my friendship with the bride and groom. Knowing my own skill level makes me doubt myself- even though I've gotten some nice shots, I've not had to shoot moving people in low light from a hand held camera without IS. That's a tough task and I would be terrified to not have at least a dozen great shots, so I'd buy a big CF card and shoot like a madman. I'd probably rent a Canon 5D and set to ISO 1200 and use that. The one limitation of current sensors in 4/3 is ISO performance and for archive quality shots we're just not there yet in low light.

Unless I'm wrong. It's been known to happen a lot.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you both for your answers.

Hopefully, I'll get the chance to visit the church in good time before the wedding, it would be good to take some test shots.