Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post processing challenge

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Post processing challenge

I was just wondering if anyone would be interested in doing a post processing challenge.

I thought it would be interesting to have someone post a "good" image, and then see who can best make that image pop.

I know I am just a Photoshop nut, and thought there may be more out there that enjoy post processing. I am always up to learning something new.

If anyone is interested, post an image and let's see what happens.

Lawrence

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Re: Post processing challenge

the problem here Lawrence is that generally images are either in need of a specific 'solution' or it's a free for all in terms of interpretation!

I'm all for both I think it's better to post an image file and a request for focused solutions than a general thread like this.
    E-P1/E3/E30/E510/E400/7-14/12-60/14-42/14-54/S 30 1.4/35/35-100/40-150/50/50-200/EC14/EC20/EX25/2xFL50R/FL36R/RF11/SHV-1/AC-1/AC-2

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by photo_owl View Post
    the problem here Lawrence is that generally images are either in need of a specific 'solution' or it's a free for all in terms of interpretation!

I'm all for both I think it's better to post an image file and a request for focused solutions than a general thread like this.
    I like your suggestion as it puts everyone working towards a common goal. However, I often like to see how others see an image.

Maybe the post processed image could define whether the modified image meets the goals of the challenge, or whether it was an interpretation of the original.

I wouldn't intend on this being a formal contest, but more just for fun.

Lawrence

Kalispell Montana, mere minutes from Glacier Park
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

When I first joined this forum there was several PP challenge posts. A shot that left something to be desired, but had possibilities, was posted as a RAW file and everyone that wanted, took a stab using their vision. I thought this was a great idea then & I still do.
    Back then, I new nothing about RAW development. Now I at least have hack abilities
    If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads,
    you're doing something wrong." óJohn Gierach

Jim
    Visit me at:

www.hillbilly-photo.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I think its a great idea too, whether to get different interpretations, or to try to rescue a shot. Its always interesting to see different approaches. I'm very limited when it comes to uploading or downloading large files here on my slow dialup, though.
    Nate

"There's only one rule in photography - never develop colour film in chicken noodle soup." - Freeman Patterson

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

well I have found what I think is a suitable raw file (from last week), which in many ways has the classic 'problems' but is fundamentally sound.

happy to post it for download but don't know where/how!

advise?
    E-P1/E3/E30/E510/E400/7-14/12-60/14-42/14-54/S 30 1.4/35/35-100/40-150/50/50-200/EC14/EC20/EX25/2xFL50R/FL36R/RF11/SHV-1/AC-1/AC-2

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Simplest is to just make a zip archive containing the RAW file and then use the normal 43photo attachment mechanism to upload it here. Alternatively, I can host a file if you can send it to me somehow (email maybe?)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

It is absolutely great idea, and it would be great if somebody - let say Lawrence if he can, organize it regularly, let say once a week.

I would make it just slightly formalized in a sense that we should have original photo available as a raw - Lawrence's pick, one of his photos for example, or some other forum member could send him a photo to use as a challenge,
    but the responses that have modified a shot should have at least minimal description, what was done, with what tools, and how.

What do you think?
    Lawrence, would you be able to take the responsibility to organize it regularly?
    I would gladly help you with formalizing response format as well as other technical stuff like where to host images etc.
    What others think? Would you like something like that?

Sincerely yours
    Bojan

ThePhilosopher Guest

I'm interested.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Bojan,

I really like your idea, and would like to set up something like this. I am very busy, and I think weekly would be kind of rough for me. I know when I was doing the Photoshop Tip of the Week, it was difficult. I not only have my photography, but I have an engineering consulting business that keeps me pretty busy.

I have been thinking about a way to get started on this project, and have come up with a few ideas ideas for a format.

If there is anyone else with more time on their hands than I have, and would like to run this I would be happy to assist. Otherwise, I will give it a try.

Lawrence

ThePhilosopher Guest

I think bi-weekly gives a chance for people to take their time and run through several versions of an edit before getting it just right for submission, and is less stressful for the people running the event. Maybe winner selects the topic or image for using in the challenge?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Dear Lawrence,
    I completely understand being busy No difference with me
    So we definitely need another volunteer.
    I like Philosopher's idea about being it bi-weekly. It will need time for people to try their ideas in Raw Postprocessing.
    Perhaps even once a month challenge?

Let's work on this ideas and see where it leads.

Yours Bojan

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Love the idea and look forward to participating. Making it a challenge with a winner might add work to the organizers, as opposed to a share/C&C thing with the main work being for participants. We all have tons of raws hanging around, no doubt, and it wouldn't be too hard to think up a focus (make this face look better, B & W conversion etc.).

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I think it's a great idea -- if we can get one more volunteer, and if Lawrence is okay with it, I'll volunteer to start things rolling. Let people loose, and see what Frankenstein creations are produced! Keep it open: severe crops, cutting and pasting, wipeouts all legit! I think monthly (or every three weeks) might work -- need to give people time to do their thing!
    ~ ~ Dave
    unphotographed.com: Critique and comments always welcomed.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Nepherim View Post
    I think it's a great idea -- if we can get one more volunteer, and if Lawrence is okay with it, I'll volunteer to start things rolling. Let people loose, and see what Frankenstein creations are produced! Keep it open: severe crops, cutting and pasting, wipeouts all legit! I think monthly (or every three weeks) might work -- need to give people time to do their thing!
    If you volunteer, and if Lawrence doesn't mind, I would say go with it. It is better to start something and we will see how to improve it over the time!

Sincerely yours
    Bojan

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Some random-ish ideas.

Images
    • Each week should have more than one picture. People can choose the image which inspires them.
    • Will people be okay with 'donating' an image to be processed? Personally I would, but not sure if others would be okay, and it would be nice to have a wider 'pool' of images to use.

Themes
    Perhaps each week could have a theme:
    • make a good image better
    • make a bad image better
    • from dark to light
    • from over-exposed to normal
    • crop-it
    • extreme processing
    • in the style of: famous photographers or artists; artistic styles; particular looks/feels

Theme Rules
    Also, whilst we have a consistent set of core rules (tbd), perhaps we could include/exclude some rules based on the image. So some weeks we might:
    • disallow cropping
    • disallow cut/paste (or similar actions)
    • force the use of a particular technique (need help with techniques)
    • disallow a particular technique

Core Rules
    Interested in opinions for the core set of rules. Having suggested it, I'm not actually sure I can think of any Maybe:
    • Only one entry per person
    • If you change your mind about your entry, either make a new post or edit your original post.
    • Re-scale to a size of around 800 pixels on the longest side

Judging
    In terms of judging, I like the idea of the recent informal competition -- keep it simple.
    • 1-2 people on subjective terms (probably a little more controversial, but not significantly).
    • or, larger 'panel' more strict judging guidelines (personally I don't prefer this -- more effort, less fun).

Prizes
    Suggestions for a prize? Perhaps:
    • the winner gets to 'donate' the next image, or set the theme?
    • Or, how about we setup a 'buy-coffee' paypal account -- if viewers like the attempts they can donate whatever ($1, 50c, etc). The winner gets whatever is in there. Might be a little tricky to setup and keep transparent; I'm sure there's something along those lines out there.
    • maybe just keep it at kudos?
    ~ ~ Dave

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Dave,

I like your thoughts on the challenge.

Your point about donating an image is a very important point to the post processing challenge. I personally have no problem in donating images for others to work on, but I understand that some people would not care to do this. Maybe a vote is in order here to find out if setting this challenge up is even feasible.

The next thing is setting up a place to host the large RAW images. I am not aware of any place where we could do this, although I am sure there is a place. Does anyone know of a site to host the images?

Lawrence

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

If we can't find a donor, then we could use:
    • one of the myriad free hosts (MediaFire for example)
    • DropBox -- I have one, it works great
    • worst case I could host it (we could start off on this path if all else fails)
    Last edited by Nepherim; 08-19-2009 at 07:26 PM.
    ~ ~ Dave

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I looked into setting up an account on Mediafire, but then I reread the posts and saw where David (bg2g) suggested zipping the RAW image and using the attachment mechanism to upload it here.

Once it has been uploaded here as an attachment, can we somehow individually download it? If so this seems to be the simplest method of sharing a RAW file.

Any Comments?

Lawrence

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Let's give it a try. Attached is a zip file (with a JPEG image).

Edit: downloads OK for me

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Works for me. As long as we have enough personal space on the forum we should be good.
    ~ ~ Dave

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by bg2b View Post
    Let's give it a try. Attached is a zip file (with a JPEG image).

Edit: downloads OK for me

Do you have a raw version? Seems like it would allow more flexibility.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Herewith my attempt.
    Last edited by les; 05-10-2011 at 10:03 AM.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jkrumm View Post
    Do you have a raw version? Seems like it would allow more flexibility.
    I think the point of the post was to simply verify that we could store the RAW file in a zip and attach to the competition post. So for this case, what's in the ZIP isn't too important. For the competition we'd use a RAW.
    ~ ~ Dave

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

My try at Elvis.

I just realized we need to add some posting rules to make sure all images are posted at the same size, file type, color profile, etc.

Lawrence
    Last edited by lkeeney; 08-20-2009 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Added not on posting rules.