Thread: 4 More of Katie

Kalispell Montana, mere minutes from Glacier Park
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Default 4 More of Katie

Comments, criticism, & advice for improvements welcome.
    One question for you more advanced PP'rs, I seem to be having trouble getting the WB consistent, all of these where shot in the same shaded light, I did not take the time for a manual WB setting, which I should have. Is there a way to get even results across several shots like this? All shots of this weekend where in RAW.
    Obviously Katie is a huge Giants fan

E1, 14-54
    If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads,
    you're doing something wrong." óJohn Gierach

Jim
    Visit me at:

www.hillbilly-photo.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Default Re: 4 More of Katie

hard to tell from my laptop but the color on the eyes and the teeth look unnatural to me(white), did you try something in post, poses look ok and maybe I would have tried some shots with the hat off kilter a little, otherwise greatg first attempts, I like shooting one on one with someone, especially if you have enough time

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Nice shots. I am sure she will like them.

Do you shoot Auto WB? I try to never shoot Auto WB. I set my WB to 6500k. Seeing I always shoot RAW, it is very simple in Lightroom to adjust the WB if needed, and then you can duplicate the change in WB across as many photos as you want.

Lawrence

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Yep, you caught me. I tried a slight dodge on the whites of the eyes and the teeth just to see if it would look weird. I thought it looked a bit bright myself, but I'm not calibrated here, and generally I seem to be a bit dark. This is why I post, to see what goes wrong
    Thanks for the feedback

Jim
    Visit me at:

www.hillbilly-photo.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score

She is very pretty although she evidently feels awkwardly self-conscious modeling these poses, especially #2. In my thoroughly amateur opinion, the last one looks the most laid back for her, maybe because she is not smiling so hard. For some reason, her teeth show up creamy yellow with your white balance, I would consider masking them in Photoshop and slightly whitening them.
    E30 E-510 FL50 2xkit 9-18 70-300 Sigma 30 Sigma 105
    M-Rock bag, Induro pod.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Lawrence,
    With the E1 I have been shooting AWB because it usually does pretty well, the E510, not so much. However, being this is a first attempt at such a thing, and trying to remember way too much, I simply brain farted out the WB step, and I forgot my white card, and the white, black, gray card I usually have in the bag as well. I also am a bit hesitant about getting too nuts about WB becasue I'm not calibrated yet, so I'm shooting in the dark anyway. If you see one that the WB looks good on tell me which one, & I can apply the temp setting to the rest and see what happens. I tried the eyedropper in the RAW developer, but they (skin tone) look way to red to me
    I appreciate the help!

Jim
    Visit me at:

www.hillbilly-photo.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Jim, I have to second what Lawrence said; shoot RAW and adjust WB in post processing. I usually just fiddle with the WB slider in LR, and very occasionally I'll adjust the color, usually pulling red saturation back a little bit. Like you, I tried the eyedropper and wasn't happy with the result. I used to use an Expodisc, now I just do the RAW and adjust thing. (Actually, Lightroom allows me to adjust WB on jpegs as well.) I used to think my E1's auto WB was beyond reproach, but now, with an E3 and E620, I find myself fixing WB much more often. In truth, I think that I'm the one that's changed instead of the newer cameras getting worse. So, you're just getting more discerning.
    Rocky
    BL3.smugmug.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Thanks Rocky,
    theses where all shot in Raw, so change isnt the issue, for me its getting them all the same instead of tinted differently. Shade has been the hardest thing for both the E1 and especially my E510 to get right.

Jim
    Visit me at:

www.hillbilly-photo.com