Thread: The Fort Laramie Bridge

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default The Fort Laramie Bridge

This Fort Laramie Army Bridge was constructed in 1875 by troops from the fort. It was a vital link between Cheyenne, Fort Laramie and the military outposts, Indian agencies and gold fields of the Black Hills Dakota region. It is believed to be the oldest existing military bridge west of the Mississippi River. Once the then-broad and turbulent North Platte River was spanned, the Cheyenne to Deadwood Route was considered the best road to the Black Hills gold fields. The bridge also influenced the establishment of the famous Cheyenne and Black Hills Stage and Express Line. The bridge remained in use until 1958.

Camera: E-3
    Lens DZ 14-35mm at 35mm
    Shutter speed: 1/160
    Aperture: f8
    Metering: ESP
    ISO: 100
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: The Fort Laramie Bridge

Thanks for the photos & history. I especially appreciate these because my PhD is from the Univ of Wyoming. Unfortunately, I never had the time to go over to Fort Laramie & explore it.

Cheers,
    H. Stamm
    http://hestamm.zenfolio.com
    E5, HLD-4 grip, 12-60swd, 14-35, 50-200swd, 35-100mm, 9-18mm, TC1.4, TC2.0, OM 500mm f8, FL-50R flash, ThinkTank Photo Airport Antidote, Velbon CF tripod

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thanks, E B for the good photo and the info. You manage to find the interesting and the obscure. How else are we going to know this stuff? Your explanations add a great deal to the Forum! Best Wishes, ~Ken

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

EB -

That's a fine looking bridge and seeing as how it's about 134 years old it sure has held up well! Thanks for posting this, I also enjoy shooting bridges when I can find them! I like the shot, didn't realize how long the bridge was until I saw the full size image.
    Best Regards, Jim

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Shame on you. That's like New Yorkers who never visit the Statue of Liberty.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you. However, if everyone had to feed from the meager fare I provide nobody would ever have need of a diet.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you. The Union Army developed a talent for rapidly building some exceedingly sturdy bridges during the Civil War.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

That's a pretty impressive life.....er.....span. Seriously, 83 years in use! Nice bit of history there, and well presented as usual, EB.
    Nate

"There's only one rule in photography - never develop colour film in chicken noodle soup." - Freeman Patterson

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you. The bridge is still sturdy enough to use, it just doesn't connect anything anymore. They moved the road and increased its capacity for heavy truck traffic and left the bridge standing where it had always stood, but now without a road at either end.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob