Thread: Those Who Search the Land

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Those Who Search the Land

Sometimes, when finding my way through barren country like this, I wonder about the people who've seen these sights before me. There have been native peoples, of course. Then there were the explorers. The early Spanish came through these lands in the 1500's. After them were probably the early Americans expanding beyond the Mississippi River looking for furs, then land and gold and, later, grazing country. But few stayed very long, because the land and climate are so poor in everything except beauty, and that wasn't what they were looking for.

Camera: E-3
    Lens: DZ 14-35mm at 23mm
    Shutter speed: 1/640
    Aperture: f5.6
    WB: 5300K
    Metering: ESP
    ISO: 100
    Last edited by E B; 09-28-2009 at 11:06 AM.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: Those Who Search the Land

E B, --This photo truly evokes the solitude and stillness that are part of such a landscape, and your crisp description is perfect. The land, so little changed over long spans of time, has witnessed our transient comings and goings, and that sense is there in what you've shown us today. Thanks! ~Ken

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I agree. The way to touch the past is to go into the wild country and just sit down; you are there.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

This really is a wonderful, compelling image, EB. Viewing it triggers many memories of similar locations, including the smell, warmth of the sun and the overwhelming stillness. Thanks for sharing it.

Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

wonderful capture of a special region of our country....I spent one summer driving all around the southwest in my vw van...spent days in places like this, doing nothing but wandering around on foot.....truly beautiful, mysterious, sacred places throughout the southwest....
    "The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven" - John Milton, Paradise Lost
    _____
    -Ken

Portals

https://www.facebook.com/kenfieldsphotography
    https://www.facebook.com/MauiIslandPortraits

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you. If I had to name just one characteristic of these lonely places that I capture it would be quiet. They all are essentially without people and the noise and intrusion that they automatically bring.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you. As lovely as Hawaii is, I don't think I could ever live there. I have to be able to get into a car and travel.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Thanks for sharing this wonderful photo of a true dreamland Bob. I have never been to such a landscape - only seen it on western movies when I was younger. Good to see that it actually exists ;-)

Looking at the image, I keep wondering what's outside the frame. Have you ever considered making a panorama of a scene like this?

Cheers, Jens.
    Motto: Wildlife won't come to me unless I go to it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    My Wildlife Photos: jensbirch.smugmug.com

E-5, E-3, E-510, IR-E-1 ,E-P2
    ZD: 7-14, 14-54, 50, 50-200 SWD, 90-250/2.8, 300/2.8, EC-14, EC-20
    Peleng 8mm fisheye, shift Tamron SP 17/3.5, Tokina AT-X 300/2.8
    FL-50R, FL-40, FL-20, HLD-2, HLD-4, cleaved ZD EX-25 w. electric bypass, 250D, 500D, KatzEye Plus OptiBrite
    Feisol CT-3472LV and CM-1471

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you. Yes, that country exists for anyone curious enough to seek it out. I haven't tried my hand at panoramas since 3-4 years ago. I gave them up at that time because they were difficult to present online or to have them printed and framed at a reasonable price. Mayhap things have changed for the better in that regard since my early efforts. Later this week I'll show you what was outside the frame.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by E B View Post
    Thank you. As lovely as Hawaii is, I don't think I could ever live there. I have to be able to get into a car and travel.
    Oh, I hear ya.....Maui is a great place to visit, but living here requires some special accomodations, which if you have, can compensate enough to make it worthwhile. It has, and continues, to work for me though I do at times miss the spring and fall, the long open roads, the southwest deserts and the alpine meadows high up in the mountains.
    "The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven" - John Milton, Paradise Lost
    _____
    -Ken

Portals

https://www.facebook.com/kenfieldsphotography
    https://www.facebook.com/MauiIslandPortraits