Thread: Louis L'Amour Landscape

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Louis L'Amour Landscape

When I travel I always carry reading material. There always comes a day when the weather is too poor for photography or I just need to sit and rest for awhile after a couple of weeks of endless travel. I find that I now try to compile my reading list based on the type of country that I'm going to be traveling through. This trip, and often for country like this, I carried Louis L'Amour western novels with me. The story lines often describe country just like this and makes scenes like this live in a way that's hard to describe. It's almost as if I could look up and see some of the western characters ride out from behind a concealing butte.

Camera: E-3
    Lens: DZ 14-35mm at 14mm
    Shutter speed: 1/400
    Aperture: f8
    WB: 5300K
    Metering: ESP
    ISO: 100
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Re: Louis L'Amour Landscape

One day in Monument valley, we were facing a sandstorm, but it didn't stop us to saddle up the trail horses. Once being there, we had to feel the John Wayne and Navaho atmosphere. Only equipped with a small Minox film camera, the video camera didn't come out that day - not weather resistant.
    I always enjoy seeing your landscape pictures, and this one I can remember myself also. However for a filmic atmosphere, I would crop it to a 16:9 ratio, and perhaps aligning the horizon slightly as well.

That lens is sweet on the E-3, as your carefully picked object deserves.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you. I still have two Minox TLX cameras, one of them black with gold trim. I miss using them.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I'm enjoying this series of landscape photos, E B. In a previous life I studied geology in the Four Corners area, Monument Valley, etc. The 'monuments' are volcanic necks that are more resistant to erosion than the red sandstones through which the magma intruded. (The actual volcanoes were higher and are completely eroded away.) You're making me feel like it's time for a road trip back.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you. Glad you're enjoying.

I would never have guessed that those buttes and mesas were volcanic necks. My skimpy geological knowledge of such things is limited to the volcanic remnant of Devil's Tower pictured below, so I guess I just learned something about the geology of the area.

If you haven't visited the area of Monument Valley for several years, it's definitely worth a new trip. Memories just can't do it justice. On the other hand, I just wouldn't bother with Four Corners.

Camera: E-510
    Lens: Sigma 50-500 at 50mm
    Shutter speed: 1/250
    Aperture: f6.3
    Metering mode: ESP
    ISO: 100
    Last edited by E B; 09-30-2009 at 01:05 PM.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Ah, E Bob, but I know some great out of the way places in the Four Corners area, like the Mule Ear diatreme on the San Juan River. I once tried to get there by 4WD with a couple visiting Japanese scientists.

We didn't make it. When we finally got back out to a dirt road we had a holed auxiliary gas tank, broken spring mount and whacko steering. One of my visiting colleagues got out, kissed the ground and cried 'I am so happy to be alive!' Do I know how to take care of visitors or what?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Sounds like my kind of fun. I've switched from a part time AWD vehicle to a full time AWD vehicle just so I've got a better chance of extracting myself out of trouble, both on the highway and off road.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ann

Good shot. It does seem tilted just a small bit. Maybe I'll get to see some similar landscapes during a westward bound trip towards the end of the year.

Ann
    Appreciate what we have, instead of worrying about what we haven't. Enjoy what is, before it isn't.
    --------
    http://www.scenicphotos4u.smugmug.com
    Moderator/Photo Contests Forum

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you. This series of images camer from Monument Valley and the temperatures should be nice there at the end of the year.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

EB, I'm sure, since you are reading Louis L/Amour that you know that Louis actually flew around the west in a helicopter, and when he found an interesting landscape, or area, he would land and talk to people in the area to get historic information, and that many of his stories are based on both that information and the land itself. He literally
    wrote about the location. I've read many of his books and always enjoyed them.

You are obviously enjoying yourself and allowing us to share your adventure.

Thanks

Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you. I'm sure that there are many other Louis L'Amour fans out there as well.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Nice, I always liked his books too. LOve the western history. Thanks for posting , I will never get out that way. Wish i could
    Linny
    Love Photography,
    Lin Singleton

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you. Well, you can always reread the books and maybe plan a vacation out that way?
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ann

Thanks. We'll be taking the I40 route, so will pass just to the south of that area.

Ann
    Appreciate what we have, instead of worrying about what we haven't. Enjoy what is, before it isn't.
    --------
    http://www.scenicphotos4u.smugmug.com
    Moderator/Photo Contests Forum