Thread: Having A Blast With The Past

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thumbs up Having A Blast With The Past

My son recently (last week) received an E-1, purchased from a member of this forum. Have to say, everything arrived neatly packed and in at least as good a condition as promised. Gotta love dealing with people like that !

This week, my son and daughter-in-law are off on vacation and I have been designated "the keeper of the camera." Woooo Hoooo !

I've wanted to try an E-1 since the day they came out. Certain constraints ($) have prevented that. Now I'm having a blast with the past. Absolutely love this camera. I find a few of the buttons a bit awkward to use, but so be it.

Image quality, to me, is astounding. I've printed a few crops from 20X30 sized files. Slightly soft but for normal viewing distances, perfectly fine.

Colour is spectacular, especially the blues. Skies almost look polarized.

Contrast is a tad on the low side but that's an easy fix. Easier to increase contrast than to reduce it.

It actually focuses some lenses, i.e. 50 macro, faster than my E-510 with very little hunting.

Auto color balance is superb.

Oh. That shutter ! Didn't think it was possible to make a shutter that quiet and smooth. Always thought the shutter on the 510 was a little rough - this one proves me sooo right. Took a couple of long exposure pics with both cameras on a tripod. The E-1 pics came out fine. Had to turn on anti-shock in the E-510. I can use significantly longer shutter speeds with the E-1 than the E-510. Reminds me of my OM's.

I can see why so many people simply refuse to put this thing away.

All in all, this new addition has put the "fun" back into photography.
    Gotta love it !!
    Capturing the beauty of nature, one frame at a time.

Prints available @: http://double-s-posure.smugmug.com; http://stan-wojtaszek.artistwebsites.com

E5, E30, E-510, 9-18, 14-54, 14-42, Sigma 105, 50-200, EC14, FL50R and a bunch of other stuff.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Default Re: Having A Blast With The Past

I think your son is going to have a battle on his hands getting that E-1 away from you! They really are quite a wonderful camera, in spite of being dated in terms of technology now. Certainly capable of stunning results, and a real joy to handle.
    Nate

"There's only one rule in photography - never develop colour film in chicken noodle soup." - Freeman Patterson

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

I just sold both my E1 bodies in the past month or so. Were it not for the in-body IS in the E3s, I don't think I would have felt any particular need to have moved up. There was something that was just "right" about the E1. Enjoy yours (well, your son's anyway)!

Roger
    My Models Portfolio My Weddings Portfolio

Current Equipment: Olympus E10, Leica M9P, Leica M8, Leica M4-P, 28, 35, 50, 75, 90, 135 lenses
    Equipment Emeritus: E20n, E1 w/SHLD-2, e520 kit, FL-40, FL-50, E3 w/HLD-4, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 30 f/1.4, Olympus 25 f/2.8 pancake, 50 f/2 macro, EX-25, PL 25 f/1.4, 14-54, FL-36, 50-200,Panny DMC-L1, Leica 14-50IS, Olympus E5 w/HLD-4, 11-22, 18-180, 35-100, FL-50r, SHV-01 power pack, FL-BK01 bracket

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Why didn't he take it on vacation with him??
    JULIO

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Good to know you're enjoying the camera.

By the way, I set the in-camera sharpening down a couple of notches, just personal preference as I preferred to more precisely control sharpness in Post. Probably why the pictures are a little soft to you.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

The E-1 was the best camera that Olympus has built! Had they kept the body and inserted the guts of the E-520 they would have had a winner....those were not my thoughts but ... they came from Gary Frankel in Winterpeg but I endorse them heartedly!! I wish I had kept that camera.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gordon View Post
    The E-1 was the best camera that Olympus has built! Had they kept the body and inserted the guts of the E-520 they would have had a winner....those were not my thoughts but ... they came from Gary Frankel in Winterpeg but I endorse them heartedly!! I wish I had kept that camera.
    Ditto Bill, how is Gary BTW ? Roger was at the same cross roads when E-3 was just to come out ..coming from the E-500 . Cheers Pete

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Might just put the E-1 away and see if my son notices.
    He couldn't take it with him on vacation. His camera bag is packed solid with two camera bodies, four lenses and flash. Luckily, the E-1 was just too big to cram in there. As smallas it it, it's still quite a bit bigger than the E-410 he wiggled in.

He had to buy a new bag before he left. Luckily, the local camera store only had the mid-size bag, not the large one he wanted. I'm thinking I should really go down there and tell them it's safe to put the big bag back on the shelf.
    Capturing the beauty of nature, one frame at a time.

Prints available @: http://double-s-posure.smugmug.com; http://stan-wojtaszek.artistwebsites.com

E5, E30, E-510, 9-18, 14-54, 14-42, Sigma 105, 50-200, EC14, FL50R and a bunch of other stuff.