Thread: Questions for legacy glass folks

Kalispell Montana, mere minutes from Glacier Park
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Default Questions for legacy glass folks

I've messed around some with MF legacy glass on my E510, and due to the smallish VF, I sold my collection off, simply because I couldn't focus.Of course, later I acquired an E1 with a much much better VF.

When I returned from my hunting trip this weekend, I find I have been gifted a bag full of film camera gear. Oh, happy day. In there was a Minolta XG-7 body in nice shape, Minolta 200x auto flash, straps, misc doo-dadsand 4 MF lenses. The cool part wsa, I already had the lens adapter for Minolta to 4/3 . One is a Vivitar 35-200mm, f3-f22 pretty nice lens, here's the photos

here's the sweet peice of the lot, 50mm f1.7 Minolta Rokkor X, I had a f1.4 version of this lens and regret selling it.

Now here are the 2 I have questions on:
    First is a Rokunar 80-200mmf4.5-32 macro focusing. In very nice shape, but I never heard of the brand, It is also a very small compact lens

and the 2nd one, is a RPS eitar 28mm, f2.8-f22. Never heard of that brand either, but it is small, might make a mormal focal length walk around.

Any thoughts on the last 2 lenses? I havent a clue although some informal testing on the E1 shows that I can focus on that body and they seem to produce decent results.

Mainly interested in knowing more about the last 2 lenses, since I havent a clue

TIA
    If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads,
    you're doing something wrong." óJohn Gierach

Jim
    Visit me at:

www.hillbilly-photo.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Re: Questions for legacy glass folks

Google them in as many ways as you can and you're bound to find the mob over at Manual Focus Forum or similar have come across them.

I'd try them out - but use 510's Live View and magnification to really focus, doesn't matter if you use a tripod either as it can help. good pictures are all that matter.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

and the 2nd one, is a RPS eitar 28mm, f2.8-f22. Never heard of that brand either, but it is small, might make a normal focal length walk around.

Any thoughts on the last 2 lenses? I havent a clue although some informal testing on the E1 shows that I can focus on that body and they seem to produce decent results.

Mainly interested in knowing more about the last 2 lenses, since I havent a clue

TIA[/quote]

From what I know it was a third party lens dealer "Reeves Photographic Inc" the lenses were considered quite good sort of like Vivitar, I will have to dig through my lense collection and see if I still have any.

Gerry
    E330, E520, Zuiko 14-42, Zuiko 14-45, Zuiko 40-150, Zuiko 11-22, Ziko 50-200,Sigma 50-500, Sigma 18-50EX DC Macro, Sigma 150/2.8 APO EX DG HSM Macro,Sigma 105/2.8, Sigma 55-200, Olympus EX25, virtual village focus screen, ME-1 Eyecup, Metz 44 Flash,Slik PRO400DX TriPod, Giottos MH7001-621 BallHead, Ownuser FX-FBH Battery Grip, 200+ legacy lenses.

http://picasaweb.google.ca/ghenton

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

From what I remember, Cosina and others, I think even Tokina, made lenses for other "brands", both standard lens brands and vendors with a wish for their own brand names. My memory is faded, so take it with a grain of salt.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

I found on mention of the Rokunar 80-200 lens here but this might be a place to investagate other MF lenses also. http://forum.manualfocus.org/viewtopic.php?id=940
    DonR -
    Everything is now sold.
    E-30-ME-1/9-18/14-54mkI/40-150mkII/50-200 SWD/70-300/Sigma 50-500/50 f2/EC-14/EX-25/Leica V-LUX 1/TCON 17/Raynox 6600 Pro/FL 50/ Panny DMC-ZS5
    Images at http://donr.zenfolio.com/

Thanks
    Feedback Score

In general, Rokunar were rather inexpensive 3rd party lenses. The brand was an importer's "house brand". I don't know who the actual manufacturers were, but the lenses were not considered particularly good in their day.

RPS lenses were house brand lenses sold by Reeves Photo Supply. The were cheap alternative lenses and generally sold rather inexpensively. Again, not top drawer stuff.
    -----
    Dwig