Thread: Fall in RMNP

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Fall in RMNP

Some photos I've taken recently.I would greatly appreciate some feedback since I plan on taking them to my photo club meeting Monday. Don't want to embaress myself.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Fall in RMNP

Quote Originally Posted by dgarner23 View Post
    Some photos I've taken recently.I would greatly appreciate some feedback since I plan on taking them to my photo club meeting Monday. Don't want to embaress myself.

I like the composition of the trees and mountain. On my monitor, the picture looks way over-sharpened and possibly over-saturated in the green.

The picture of the lake is a hard one to deal with since there is so much difference between the sky, hills and lake. It appears that the picture is considerable underexposed. If you are using Lightroom, the gradient tool could help here by letting you maintain the exposure in the sky and lighten up the hills and lake. I'd experiment with some fill light and/or brightening. Saturating yellow would bring out the larches (I think they are) and give a little contrasting color to the hills that would make the hills more interesting.

I like the sundown a lot. It suffers from the same problem of brightness in the sky making the land look dim and dingy. It might be interesting to try some cropping on this. One possibility would be to crop right at the base of the mountains, so you end up with just the mountain shapes against the lovely, rosy sky. I especially like that the clouds have an "end line," rather than filling the whole sky. That really adds to the interest.

I would suggest playing around with fill light, brightness and contrast on all three.

Thanks for sharing,

Dale
    =======================================

I strive for perfection but settle for excellence.
    Ansel Adams

http://crookedbeak.smugmug.com/

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Hey thanks a lot for your feedback. I am a minimalist in Post Processing, so I don't like doing a lot, but do think you are correct on many of your comments.
    I went back and looked and the first photo was definitely over sharpened so I corrected. I keep a copy of my Raw files so I can re- adjust.

The second photo - I know the contrast is such that many areas are underdeveloped, but it looked too contrived when I tried to play with it too much. Perhaps my PP skills are lacking since I shy from it to begin with. I will play some and see what I can do. Another thought, maybe it would look good in Black & White since there isn't much color there to begin with.

The third, well one of Olympus's shortcomings is high noise in low light. When I tried brightening the foreground, the noise popped that much more. Noise reduction didn't do much but suck out the sharpness so I don't know.

I will use your feedback to continue to analyze and play.

Thanks
    Dan

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I agree with Dale's assessments. Cropping the third shot at the base of the mountains would be just the ticket. I don't think brightening the shadows would work very well, for reasons you've already spoken of. The graduated neutral filter in LR would probably work very well on the second one as far as the sky goes, but the shadows should be lifted as well, and you know what's going to happen if you try that! I'd try a b/w rendering on that one. The sharpening on the first one you've already fixed, and that was my only concern with it. Nice shots of some beautiful scenery!
    Nate

"There's only one rule in photography - never develop colour film in chicken noodle soup." - Freeman Patterson

Thanks
    Feedback Score

The second photo - I know the contrast is such that many areas are underdeveloped, but it looked too contrived when I tried to play with it too much. Perhaps my PP skills are lacking since I shy from it to begin with. I will play some and see what I can do. Another thought, maybe it would look good in Black & White since there isn't much color there to begin with.
    Yeah, it is too easy to bump this image too much, as my own manipulations show.

A large part of the problem with this photo is that vast middle swath of trees behind the lake. It's a strangely contrasty situation. I was able to lift it some with LightZone, and play with some other things (shadow and highlight lifting, as well as saturation lifting--due to the low saturation of the original). I tried very hard to keep it natural looking, but I personally don't think i succeeded, but I thought I'd post it for your criticism anyway.
    -Jon

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I've got a different take on these pictures, in the first 2 exposure etc fine but something throws you off enjoying them as much as you should. the mass of dead trees in the foreground are too swamped by the background for my taste.

Second picture: In the lake/river there are one or two things sticking out of the water they really catch your eye and don't help the picture at all - I'd clone them away and I think the picture would settle down nicely.

Picture 3 may be a little over the top, but I like that - I don't look at every picture posted and seem to rely on the thumbnail to attract my attention - this one jumped out of the screen at me, making me go WoW.

Sure its one of those pictures where the camera has invented a few things but I wouldn't touch it. Cropping out the interesting arrangement in the foreground would only serve to speed the picture up and say this is a sunset and nothing else. left alone it does a great deal more.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by JonInKrakow View Post
    Yeah, it is too easy to bump this image too much, as my own manipulations show.

A large part of the problem with this photo is that vast middle swath of trees behind the lake. It's a strangely contrasty situation. I was able to lift it some with LightZone, and play with some other things (shadow and highlight lifting, as well as saturation lifting--due to the low saturation of the original). I tried very hard to keep it natural looking, but I personally don't think i succeeded, but I thought I'd post it for your criticism anyway.
    -Jon
    Hey, I really like what you did. THe oly problem I see is the noise comes alive and dead ( pine beetles ) trees on the right become more obvious . That much more reason to go monochrome.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Hey, I really like what you did. THe oly problem I see is the noise comes alive and dead ( pine beetles ) trees on the right become more obvious . That much more reason to go monochrome.
    The noise is probably because of the low-res image. Take a full 10 or 12 megapixel image, and you won't see that noise at these sizes, or in print. Now the trees... I thought you wanted those brighter. those are easy to exclude in LightZone.

Speaking of which, I'm only a satisfied customer, but the more I use LightZone, the more I love it! I also love Photoshop and yes, the Gimp, but the more I learn how to use LZ, the less and less I need the other tools. It is truly both amazingly simple and powerful, yet harnessing the power takes time truly pushing it. I've been surprised that images I would never have bothered with in the other programs (because of the difficulties of isolating problem areas), are a piece of cake, once you grasp how it works.

Well, enough "advertising"...

-Jon

P.S. I thought I'd include what I did to the third picture, just for kicks. (and again, I tried to do only "enough".

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by JonInKrakow View Post
    The noise is probably because of the low-res image. Take a full 10 or 12 megapixel image, and you won't see that noise at these sizes, or in print. Now the trees... I thought you wanted those brighter. those are easy to exclude in LightZone.

Speaking of which, I'm only a satisfied customer, but the more I use LightZone, the more I love it! I also love Photoshop and yes, the Gimp, but the more I learn how to use LZ, the less and less I need the other tools. It is truly both amazingly simple and powerful, yet harnessing the power takes time truly pushing it. I've been surprised that images I would never have bothered with in the other programs (because of the difficulties of isolating problem areas), are a piece of cake, once you grasp how it works.

Well, enough "advertising"...

-Jon

P.S. I thought I'd include what I did to the third picture, just for kicks. (and again, I tried to do only "enough".
    Hey, I really like what you did with the 3rd pic. I mean I REALLY like it. You may have sold me on Lightzone.

Thanks,

Dan

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Hey, I really like what you did with the 3rd pic. I mean I REALLY like it. You may have sold me on Lightzone.

Thanks,

Dan
    Welcome! All I tried to do, though, was light the scene the way I thought you probably saw it. I don't know if i succeeded or not, but I liked it.

Oh, and it's worth downloading the demo, and going through the tutorials. It was the tutorials that showed me the little tricks necessary to do what I did to this photo.

-Jon