Thread: Why don't cameras and lenses have their own boards?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Why don't cameras and lenses have their own boards?

I find that a bit odd with how large this forum is.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default Re: Why don't cameras and lenses have their own boards?

If you use the prefix system to filter you can have just camera topic or just lens topics.

John
    Olympus E-1, Olympus E-500, Olympus E-330, Olympus DMC-L1, Olympus E-510, Olympus E-3, 7-14mm,12-60mm, 14-42mm, 14-45mm, 14-50mm(Leica), 14-54MM, Sigma 30mm, 35-100mm, 40-150mm(Mk1), 50mm (macro), 50-200mm, 'Bigma' 50-500mm, EC-14, EC-20, FL-36, FL-50, HLD-4, Lowepro Rezo 140AW, Slingshot 100AW

Panasonic GF1, GH1, 7-14mm, 14-140mm, 20mm F1.7, DMW-MA1 Nikon D700, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.4G, 70-200mm F2.8, Fuji F72EXR, Casio EX-FH100

Though I fly through the valley of death I shall feel no fear, for I am at 80,000 feet and climbing

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Because its not very important, best to keep talking all 4/3s and even though there is a huge and unjustifiable bias towards Olympus, we must never forget that this all started out Panasonic, Leica, and Oly, I'm 4/3s but Im yet to be convinced that Oly is anywhere near the best.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I believe we should have a separate 4/3's and micro 4/3's discussion. One of the reasons for the four/thirds forum is with different brands the lenses are interchangeable. Yes, there is an adapter, but there are adapters for other manufacturers (Canon, Nikon, etc) as well. I appreciate the the new micro 4/3's system, but It makes me feel that those of us with normal size 4/3's will be left out in the cold eventually.
    "The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking. - Brooks Atkinson
    E510, 14-42, 40-150, 35 macro

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marcot64/

Kalispell Montana, mere minutes from Glacier Park
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

The other thing to remember is , especially for your newer members, the forum has been pretty slow (in praticipation) the last few months. WHen things pick up, it gets pretty busy and then you need more moderators for more forums. Personally , I think this place runs pretty good just the way it is, with one minor exception. Most forums I participate in have an "off topic lounge" a place just to BS with our online friends without having to stay on topic. A good place for the occasional joke, etc. While we maintain pretty good comradary here, a relaxing place to hang out & shoot the breeze about things not photography would be nice. Theere is such a diverce crossection of talant here, I'd like to get to know more people better, with out the use of the clunky PM system
    If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads,
    you're doing something wrong." óJohn Gierach

Jim
    Visit me at:

www.hillbilly-photo.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

There are 16 4/3 bodies, 41 lenses and few accessories, so we need one section for bodies and one for lenses, or 16 + 41 sections? and more for products launch in future?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by marcot64 View Post
    I appreciate the the new micro 4/3's system, but It makes me feel that those of us with normal size 4/3's will be left out in the cold eventually.
    I don't know about that, but what leaves me feeling left out in the cold is Oly's failure to offer the micro 4/3 adapter to us faithful DSLR customers for free or a very deep discount. If I could use my current set of Zuiko lenses on a Pen camera, I would spring for one pretty soon.

Dale
    =======================================

I strive for perfection but settle for excellence.
    Ansel Adams

http://crookedbeak.smugmug.com/

Thanks
    Feedback Score

All that is really needed are boards for all Four Thirds cameras (including Micro Four Thirds f you don't want too many boards), one for all lenses (Four Thirds and adapted or third party) and accessories. A small new category with just those would definitely help the navigation of this forum. I have the same problem with low numbers of posts, but grouping together the ones that you do get doesn't help the problem, it just confuses people and makes them not want to post even more. If you define the sections of the forum more clearly, then more people will feel inclined to post on the sections, and they will know where to post, not to mention not having to sift through tons of topics about what you had for dinner to find a thread on their newest camera. You can take a look at my E-P1 website for a possible layout, but please don't think that I'm trying to impose how I feel about things on you, because I just want to help out your forum. I quite like it here.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Oh, great! Another photo forum to go sloshing through!!!

Just kidding, Voyager. Great job!!!
    Regards,
    J A P

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by voyager View Post
    All that is really needed are boards for all Four Thirds cameras (including Micro Four Thirds f you don't want too many boards), one for all lenses (Four Thirds and adapted or third party) and accessories.
    All that has been done already as well as several other logical topics - just set the filter for whichever topic you want to view, you don't even need to change forum.

John
    Olympus E-1, Olympus E-500, Olympus E-330, Olympus DMC-L1, Olympus E-510, Olympus E-3, 7-14mm,12-60mm, 14-42mm, 14-45mm, 14-50mm(Leica), 14-54MM, Sigma 30mm, 35-100mm, 40-150mm(Mk1), 50mm (macro), 50-200mm, 'Bigma' 50-500mm, EC-14, EC-20, FL-36, FL-50, HLD-4, Lowepro Rezo 140AW, Slingshot 100AW

Panasonic GF1, GH1, 7-14mm, 14-140mm, 20mm F1.7, DMW-MA1 Nikon D700, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.4G, 70-200mm F2.8, Fuji F72EXR, Casio EX-FH100

Though I fly through the valley of death I shall feel no fear, for I am at 80,000 feet and climbing

Thanks
    Feedback Score

It's really quite different though. I guess it's hard for some people to understand...most noobs never take the chance to even look at the prefixes.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by voyager View Post
    It's really quite different though. I guess it's hard for some people to understand...most noobs never take the chance to even look at the prefixes.
    While you may not have looked at the prefixes, it seems your main purpose here is to drum up business for your own site and little else - for those that actually use the site as intended, the prefixes are quite clear on the main forum and you're forced to choose one on submitting a topic. I had my doubts about the system when its implementation but it works well in practice, better than the previous separate section setup where forum sections ended up isolated because of the limited level of forum traffic.

John

Thanks
    Feedback Score

One should never point fingers, that was never my intention.

But honestly even for me I find it very annoying to have to wade through all those topics when a simple new board could solve the entire problem. What am I missing?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

There's still the same number of them, you've just combined them all together to make it look like there's more...it's a quite useful trick but it doesn't change anything.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ravenintherain View Post
    I don't know about that, but what leaves me feeling left out in the cold is Oly's failure to offer the micro 4/3 adapter to us faithful DSLR customers for free or a very deep discount. If I could use my current set of Zuiko lenses on a Pen camera, I would spring for one pretty soon.

Dale
    I never expect a manufacturer to "give" me anything. I bought the FourThirds to micro-FourThirds adapter before I even bought the G1, because I knew I'd be going that way.

I don't feel left out in the cold with my FT DSLRs. At some point, I'll buy that E-3 which I like so much, and I'll have all the lenses and accessories I need for it when I do. I'm just not in any particular hurry, and the equipment will be around for a long while anyway. ;-)