Thread: E-510 Viewfinder without power?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default E-510 Viewfinder without power?

Hey guys,
    I'm a frequent reader here, but not an avid poster, so it's unfortunate that my first post is for troubleshooting. Such is life.

My viewfinder no longer appears to be receiving power, as the settings will not illuminate and the the auto-focus indicator will not light up. I've tried the usual steps of turning the camera on/off, replacing the battery, etc. Also, the flash will not fire. I can take pictures, but if the flash is set to auto and the camera determines that it needs it to flash, I cannot activate the shutter. If I set the flash to Full to force it to fire, the camera will take the picture but there will not be a flash. All other features work as normal. The only conclusion I can come to is that power is not getting to the viewfinder/flash, but I can't figure out why that would happen. I had let a friend borrow the camera during a recent shoot, and it was afterward that I noticed the problem. Is it possible that a setting in the menu, or a hidden setting, would allow the user to turn off the illumination in the viewfinder? But that still does not explain the lack of a flash.

If any of you can help offer a possible explanation, I would appreciate it. I may end up having to send it in to be repaired, but I want to see what other options might be available first.

Thanks for the help.

Brandon

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: E-510 Viewfinder without power?

The only incidence of that which I know of was because a multilead connecter between the viewfinder and a circuit board became damaged. Olympus replaced the camera.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by brandonbray16 View Post
    I had let a friend borrow the camera during a recent shoot, and it was afterward that I noticed the problem.
    They didn't connect the camera to any high sync voltage flashes/strobes did they?
    -Mark
    E-PL2 | WCON-07 | 14mm F2.5 | 20mm F1.7 | Pentax 25mm F1.4 | 35mm F1.7 c-mount | FL-50 | MA1 | SEMA-1

OM-2n | 28mm F3.5 | 50mm F1.4 | 135mm F3.5 | Sigma 600mm F8 | T-20 | 2x Vivitar 2800

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by E B View Post
    The only incidence of that which I know of was because a multilead connecter between the viewfinder and a circuit board became damaged. Olympus replaced the camera.
    My camera is out of warranty, but might this be a situation where Oly would still be willing to work with me? I'll have to check that out. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by thebinaryman View Post
    They didn't connect the camera to any high sync voltage flashes/strobes did they?
    No, we were shooting some local landscapes and neither of us were using a flash. My original thought was that he had accidentally turned off the viewfinder illumination, until I realized that it was not in the menu and the flash was no longer working either.