Thread: The Discarded Image (1 IMG)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default The Discarded Image (1 IMG)

I was traveling in the west and passing through an area new to me. Earlier in the day, I'd seen buffalo and numerous antelope and the area had good stands of trees with some fairly lush vegetation where near water. By afternoon the sky was completely overcast and dark and it was obvious that rain was due shortly. I decided to stop and pitch my tent so as to avoid having to do it later in the rain. After the tent was up I looked around for any likely photographic subjects and this little stream was the only thing of interest nearby. Lighting was difficult with the heavy overcast and fairly heavy vegetation at ground levels. I've never processed this image before as it seemed to be of relatively little interest in comparison to the other images that I captured on the trip, but I never actually throw any images away. I always keep the RAW file on the chance that I may have some future use for it. I just came across it again while I was looking for some lower light landscapes to experiment with and I've just now processed it for the first time. Oh, and the rain started about an hour or so after I captured the image and continued all night. I had to pack a wet tent in the morning, something I like only slightly less than having to cook in the rain.

Camera: E-3
    Lens: DZ 14-35mm at 14mm
    Shutter speed: 1/160
    Aperture: f4
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Default Re: The Discarded Image (1 IMG)

That's a very nice image there EB.

I have many such photo's from my Grand Canyon trip that I've not taken the time to really look at.

Seems I look first at the thumbnails and then only consider a Very Small fraction of those to investigate further....

Ron

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

That's a beautiful shot - I'm glad you saved it from the recycle bin.
    kerry
    OMD-EM10.2 |
    flickr site
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. --Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I like it. The grasses or reeds in the lower right corner provide the perfect counterweight for the stone cliff. The overcast lighting was good and you brought out the colors very nicely. You minimized the drab grayness of the sky, but the little patch in the upper right corner has just enough detail to carry the upper right corner.

This is a subtle photo that grows on the viewer. I see why you passed it over initially but came back to it.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you. I suppose the image has no real merit on its own but I did like the way the colors brightened up an otherwise dark day.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you. I just save all RAW images on general principles. Storage costs almost nothing.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you. I wish the image had more DOF. The sky as seen in the original ORF looks completely blown. What you see of the cloud cover is what I was able to recover from it so one or two channels must have retained some data.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob