Thread: Alternative firmware for the E600

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Question Alternative firmware for the E600

I do own an E600. In the Netherlands it was much cheaper than the E620, and i did not care about the missing filters or the missing backlights for the buttons.
    What i do miss is the ability to use the IR remote control RM1, allthough it is supposed to work according to the official accessory list
    (http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...?id=1477&ct=48) and (
    There is a infrared 'eye' on the camera, at the same location as at the E620, but the only official function for this is for synchro-flashing.

There is no mention of using the infrared remote in the E-600's manual.

Does anybody know how to unlock the IR feature, so i can use my RM1?

Also see: http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...477&page=specs
    Optical remote control Operation time: 2 sec., 0 sec., bulb control available (with optional RM-1 remote control)
    Last edited by davey400; 01-03-2010 at 06:26 AM. Reason: links corrected

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Alternative firmware for the E600

There shouldn't be a problem using your IRC. I haven't got the e600 but I presume you wouldn't need any alterations to get it to work.

Kalispell Montana, mere minutes from Glacier Park
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

You need to go in to the menu, on my camera, it is in with the section where you change the drive mode, from single shot, to multiple etc. There is also a separate button top left of the camera that accesses the same thing, this is on a E510 BTW.
    If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads,
    you're doing something wrong." óJohn Gierach

Jim
    Visit me at:

www.hillbilly-photo.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I am a former owner of the E400, and expected it to work the same way on the E600. That is the case for the E620, but the functionality is not described in the E600 manual, and the IR menu's are missing.

Olympus support in the Netherlands confirmed this te be a problem, but did not expect any (official) firmware update.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I think the problem was that Olympus doesn't control the web content of the various areas very well and there seems to be the odd error in what's posted.

My understanding was that the E600 does not support IR, but when I used to raise this people would quote the contradictory material (as you have).
    E-P1/E3/E30/E510/E400/7-14/12-60/14-42/14-54/S 30 1.4/35/35-100/40-150/50/50-200/EC14/EC20/EX25/2xFL50R/FL36R/RF11/SHV-1/AC-1/AC-2

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I have had this problem too. After failing to get two different remote controls to work, and finding no mention of remote control in the manual, I have come to the same conclusion.

It does niggle that there is an undocumented item in menu 2 which looks suspiciously like a remote control and has options for "on" and "off"...