Thread: E-1 firmware update not working

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default E-1 firmware update not working

Im haveing trouble updateing my Olympus E-1, From Version 1.0 to 1.5.
    Im useing Olympus master 2, I wont detect the camera. Help.

Danny.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Default Re: E-1 firmware update not working

Danny, make sure the camera is set to "Storage" mode. This is found in the menus - Wrench 1, I believe, in the "PC Mode" item.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Lamontagne View Post

Danny.
    Danny,
    As far as I remember, on my Windows XP system with Norton firewall, I had to disable the firewall to run the frmware update on my E-1.
    Jimcb
    Photos on www.pbase.com/jimcb

Thanks
    Feedback Score

My E-1 is in storage mode, Maybe the problem is im running Windows 7.

Danny.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Danny.
    AS far as I'm aware, Danny, Olympus Master was never able to do firmware updates on the E-1. You need to use either the original software the camera came with, Olympus Viewer, or Olympus Studio 2.

It is best at this date to download and use the Olympus Studio 2 evaluation trial to do the updating, imo. I ran into a SNAFU two years ago trying to run Olympus Viewer on my current OS then, I did all the firmware updates before I purchased Studio 2 to use for tethered operation.

{minor rant}
    I absolutely despise this "if you want to update your camera, you must use our software to do the whole process" approach from Olympus. They're the ONLY company doing this nowadays. Every other camera manufacturer ships a tidy, small firmware update that anyone can download, write to a card, and update their camera or lens without installing some big, clumsy, stupid, and otherwise unnecessary software package on their computer.
    {end of minor rant}

:-)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

Godfrey is correct. Master won't do it for the E-1.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post

{minor rant}
    I absolutely despise this "if you want to update your camera, you must use our software to do the whole process" approach from Olympus. They're the ONLY company doing this nowadays. Every other camera manufacturer ships a tidy, small firmware update that anyone can download, write to a card, and update their camera or lens without installing some big, clumsy, stupid, and otherwise unnecessary software package on their computer.
    {end of minor rant}

:-)
    There are some proprietary things that are in the Olympus Firmware that are used for other applications and uses than consumer digital cameras. When they figure out how to divide the two there might be an easier way.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by laingjd View Post
    There are some proprietary things that are in the Olympus Firmware that are used for other applications and uses than consumer digital cameras. When they figure out how to divide the two there might be an easier way.
    Same is true for Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Sony, and Panasonic. They all manage to do it properly. There's nothing so special about Olympus that it can't be done easily.

Besides, what other uses for camera firmware could there possibly be than to operate the camera's hardware? Am I going to load it onto my toaster oven?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Same is true for Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Sony, and Panasonic. They all manage to do it properly. There's nothing so special about Olympus that it can't be done easily.

Besides, what other uses for camera firmware could there possibly be than to operate the camera's hardware? Am I going to load it onto my toaster oven?
    Other photographic uses for other cameras which are not part of the public domain.

I don't much like it either but it is what it is.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by laingjd View Post
    Other photographic uses for other cameras which are not part of the public domain.

I don't much like it either but it is what it is.
    A firmware update is not public domain, nor does it have to be freely distributed. I don't care if I have to sign into the Olympus website with an authorized id to get it.

I just hate installing their garbage software on my computer. That causes more problems than anything else.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I even vaguely recall some discussion on a Russian(?) site where a few people were working on some sort of hack of the E-1 firmware, and they seemed to have figured out how to get the camera to load firmware from a card that you had copied it to. So presumably it's not a camera limitation, just Olympus deciding that the masses can't be trusted with a file.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Not me, the shutter on my toaster oven is way too noisy. Sorry.

Probably my major annoyance when it comes to Oly. There really isn't any valid reason why it couldn't be done in a more user friendly way, as you describe. Come on, Oly, what's the problem? Security? Like you said G., require a user ID. Fear that someone will hack it? Make it clear that if you bork the camera with hacked firmware, it'll cost you for them to fix it. Fear that the competition will use it? Come on. I'm sure they could just buy a camera and reverse engineer it. Worry that the process won't be safe enough? You've got to be kidding. From the anecdotal evidence, the chances of borking a body or lens while using the present process is not exactly infinitesimal.
    Nate

"There's only one rule in photography - never develop colour film in chicken noodle soup." - Freeman Patterson

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I just hate installing their garbage software on my computer. That causes more problems than anything else.
    That's why they invented the virtual O/S sandbox like VMWare.

I hate installing stuff that I will delete later anyway. With VMWare, I just take a snapshot of the O/S image that I will install the software on, install the software, use it, shut the O/S down and revert back to the snapshot. I don't even uninstall anything, the software and anything installed with it disappear without a trace.

It is also excellent for installing old O/S under new O/S. I use it to work with orphaned peripherals that has drivers only for older operating systems like the Epson Perfection 610 scanner with its Windows XP drivers (no Vista or Windows 7).

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I keep a couple of smaller drives handy that I can boot the hardware with. Install stuff, do what I need, reformat and clone back from another. Works dandy but it's still an annoyance.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Danny.
    The most probably reson may be the driver for E1, if you are using the old version(1.x) studio/viewer, you must install this driver(http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/...WIN_ENU_UP.exe) before you can get your camera recognized by the software. But to your O master 2 , that driver(list above)is not usable, the new drvier have been integrated into Studio 2, so i think it wil be the same in Master 2, and i have get in trouble like you many times, finally figue out the solution , maybe you can try it :
    1. unstall your olympus master 2(Studio 2)
    2. plug in your E1 to the usb port
    3. re-install your olympus master 2(Studio 2)
    4. during the master2 installation, it will detect your camera, then a prompt window about the driver is uncertificated(by windows) will popup to ask you whether to install the driver, click yes to install the driver.
    5. the master 2(Studio 2) installation complete. OK

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by fox_moudle View Post
    The most probably reason may be the driver for E1, if you are using the old version(1.x) studio/viewer, you must install this driver(http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/...WIN_ENU_UP.exe) before you can get your camera recognized by the software.
    Excellent.

The driver above solved it for me too updating the firmware on my E-1. I had installed every program that Olympus offered, plus the ones that came with my E-1 and other Olympus bodies to no avail. Read their FAQ's on the E-1, etc. Never saw mention of that driver.

Out of extreme curiosity where did you find this information?

Thanks for this important tip!

-jts
    E-1, E-300, E-330, E-420, E-510
    www.pbase.com/jtsmall

'From the first moment I handled my lens with a tender ardour.' Julia Margaret Cameron

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Just to clarify for the original poster: Only Olympus Studio and the ORIGINAL Olympus Viewer software will update the E-1 (it is the only Oly DSLR to require this). Master (any version) will not. And the newer Viewer 2 or 3 versions will not. It is getting tough to find a download link for Viewer 1 these days on the web.

As well, XP systems need to download the special E-1 driver link first, or it still won't download updates. Not sure about Win7 or 8, or whether they are even compatible with the driver.

Last issue I had using XP was the camera defaulting to an already named disk drive rather than creating its own drive number. You always had to go into administrative tools and manually rename the E-1 drive number to get the computer to recognize the camera.

Leigh
    zippski

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Are these updates worth the hassle ?

I never update any firmware on any of my devices.
    My toaster still does only 2 toasts per try. Will it burn 4 if I install new FW ???
    ))

Anyhow, I never update the OS with .1 just the major version in case of Win (and even that after SP1 is incorporated), and OSX does itself automatically (without breaking itself) so that's taken care of.
    Cameras:E-5; E-3; E-1; E-620; GH-1
    Lens: 12-60mm 50mm f/2; 50-200swd; Ex-25; 70-300; 40-150mkI; 35mm f/3.5; 25mm f/2.8; 14-140 u43
    Lights: Fl36Rx2; Fl50R; FL50; Elinchrom 2x400ws radio controlled.

Click on the image to see my Facebook page
    And while you are at it, Like it if you like it

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by darkesha View Post
    My toaster still does only 2 toasts per try. Will it burn 4 if I install new FW ???
    Yes, sequentially, but not concurrently.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sctroy View Post
    Yes, sequentially, but not concurrently.
    I love it.
    So in Oly speak, S-AF, not C-AF?
    Cheers,
    Don