Thread: Shutter release every 1 minute?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default Shutter release every 1 minute?

I have an e520. Is there a way or setting that would take a picture every 'x' seconds? I'm flexible on the 'x' period, but once per minute would be nice.

We've had a lot of snow here, and I thought it would be fun to build an igloo. Then I thought it would be good to do a time lapse of me building the igloo.
    ~ ~ Dave
    unphotographed.com: Critique and comments always welcomed.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Shutter release every 1 minute?

You can if you hook up to your PC with Olympus Studio time laps photo

Chuck

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

What you need is an intervalometer function, and to the best of my knowledge no such function exists in any Olympus DSLR. Similarly, I can't find any intervalometer accessories in Olympus catalog.

Canon makes a wonderful intervalometer integrated into a remote release, however:

B&H Photo: Canon Timer Remote Controller TC-80N3

in the past, I adapted this unit to operate a Pentax DSLR (as I had the remote from my Canon days) but I've since sold it. I'm sure it would be easy to adapt to operate the Olympus (and Panasonic ...) bodies as well, it's not too complex to figure out the wiring connections for the remote cable and change the plug.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by blindman View Post
    You can if you hook up to your PC with Olympus Studio time laps photo
    While true, and a good thought, the notion that I need to leave my camera and computer out in the field connected to an AC power source to use this methodology seems a little less than optimal.

Kalispell Montana, mere minutes from Glacier Park
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads,
    you're doing something wrong." óJohn Gierach

Jim
    Visit me at:

www.hillbilly-photo.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

The easiest way to do this is to make use of a combination of two settings and a wired remote:

The settings are:
    1) Put the camera in sequential shooting mode
    2) Set the "Anti shock" (i.e., mirror lock-up) to the interval X you need (the maximum value is 30 seconds on the E-510)

Now use the wired remote and lock the button as if you were doing a Bulb exposure and the camera will make an exposure every X seconds.

Tip: If you don't have any wired remote, you can just put something on the camera's shutter button and make it press the button continuously by means of a rubber band.

Cheers, Jens.
    Motto: Wildlife won't come to me unless I go to it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    My Wildlife Photos: jensbirch.smugmug.com

E-5, E-3, E-510, IR-E-1 ,E-P2
    ZD: 7-14, 14-54, 50, 50-200 SWD, 90-250/2.8, 300/2.8, EC-14, EC-20
    Peleng 8mm fisheye, shift Tamron SP 17/3.5, Tokina AT-X 300/2.8
    FL-50R, FL-40, FL-20, HLD-2, HLD-4, cleaved ZD EX-25 w. electric bypass, 250D, 500D, KatzEye Plus OptiBrite
    Feisol CT-3472LV and CM-1471

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Jens, that is so clever!

For more flexibility with intervals, you can get a remote timer from eBay for around $30, it will also double as a cable release. I have one and it works well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Timer-Remote-Cor...item3a4d47798b
    ODM
    ----------------
    Recent photos: http://www.ahfairley.com/gallery/index.html
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=fad9c02a1f
    E-10, E-M5, 20mm, PZ 14-42mm

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Cameras: Yes.
    Lenses: Yes.
    Lighting: Sometimes, depending upon needs.
    Misc.: Other stuff, as needed.

CrayonPhotos.com ... pictures that draw you in.
    Follow me on Twitter.
    Like me on Facebook.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Cool Re: Shutter release every 1 minute?

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    What you need is an intervalometer function, and to the best of my knowledge no such function exists in any Olympus DSLR. Similarly, I can't find any intervalometer accessories in Olympus catalog.

Canon makes a wonderful intervalometer integrated into a remote release, however:

B&H Photo: Canon Timer Remote Controller TC-80N3

in the past, I adapted this unit to operate a Pentax DSLR (as I had the remote from my Canon days) but I've since sold it. I'm sure it would be easy to adapt to operate the Olympus (and Panasonic ...) bodies as well, it's not too complex to figure out the wiring connections for the remote cable and change the plug.
    If you go on to ebay or similar places, you will see a variety of third party shutter releases (look for RM-UC1 for the E-520 and RM-CB1 for the E-1/E-3). For example:

I haven't purchased anything from this particular vendor, but I have it on my watch list in ebay.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I'd just put the wife on "shutter duty" and save the $180.

Actually, I'd use my $40 wireless release and just press the trigger every so often. But if you need that functionality, $180 doesn't see out of line.
    Cheers, Dave

E-510 | 14-42 | 40-150 | 50-200 SWD| 70-300 (still Broken)| EC-14 | FL-36
    Toshiba Thrive (rooted) | Droid (rooted)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I have that one for the E-520/10 and it works very nicely. Everything can be programmed (even bulb settings) with intervals up to several days if I remember correctly.

I replaced the connector to a 3.5 mm stero plug and did the same on the USB-connector to the E-510 body as well as on a proprietary remote plug for the E-1/E-3 so that I can use the same remotes for all my E and Pen bodies.

Cheers, Jens.
    Motto: Wildlife won't come to me unless I go to it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    My Wildlife Photos: jensbirch.smugmug.com

E-5, E-3, E-510, IR-E-1 ,E-P2
    ZD: 7-14, 14-54, 50, 50-200 SWD, 90-250/2.8, 300/2.8, EC-14, EC-20
    Peleng 8mm fisheye, shift Tamron SP 17/3.5, Tokina AT-X 300/2.8
    FL-50R, FL-40, FL-20, HLD-2, HLD-4, cleaved ZD EX-25 w. electric bypass, 250D, 500D, KatzEye Plus OptiBrite
    Feisol CT-3472LV and CM-1471

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thanks for the reposes. I'm building the igloo now, so ebay isn't going to work. Wife duty is my current option, but that's once every hours

Jens: Excellent idea. I'll see if I can rig something up, thanks.
    ~ ~ Dave

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

I have this remote for my E-620:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Timer-Remote-Con...05059019r20198

I used to own a (horribly overpriced) Canon TC-80N3. The JJC Chinese knockoff remote compares favorably.
    Cameras: Olympus E-30
    AF Lenses: 9-18,
    14-54, 14-42, 40-150, 70-300
    MF Lenses: OM 135 f/2.8
    Tripod: Manfrotto 055CX3, PhotoClam PC-44NS, RRS Pano Essentials
    Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/adamtrilling/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I have heard of people wrapping a rubber band tight around the body with a marble on the shutter to hold it down.

The Ownuser battery grips come with a sequential shooting feature that I use quite often on my E-510. It works through the wireless remote...
    Name's Trevor, feel free to check out my various sites!
    Celerity Photography / Flickr / Facebook / Twitter
    E-5 w/HLD-4 / 2xE-510 w/Ownuser BH-E51R / 9-18mm / 14-54mm MKI / 50-200mm MKI / Sigma 30mm f1.4 / 2xFL-50
    (5) Sunpak 433D / Cybersyncs / Cokin Z-Pro U960 Kit / Manfrotto 190XB w/ 486RC2 Ball Head

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I tried some duct tape, with a bit of balled up tape for the shutter release. The e520 is not duct tape friendly. Hopefully I have enough usable images for a good time lapse though.

Shooting conditions weren't ideal: through a window that got covered in drops of snow, with a pretty heavy snow fall between me the camera. I'll see tomorrow what I got.

Oh, and Jens, your idea worked perfectly. Next time I'll plan ahead a little and know up something a little more reliable.

Now to rest my *aching* body. 7 hours to build an igloo, moving 20lbs snow blocks around. Ouch.
    ~ ~ Dave

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

I second that. Always have a few ball bungees tied to my camera bag. Takes 3 seconds to setup and works wonderfully.

Quote Originally Posted by jebir View Post
    The easiest way to do this is to make use of a combination of two settings and a wired remote:

The settings are:
    1) Put the camera in sequential shooting mode
    2) Set the "Anti shock" (i.e., mirror lock-up) to the interval X you need (the maximum value is 30 seconds on the E-510)

Now use the wired remote and lock the button as if you were doing a Bulb exposure and the camera will make an exposure every X seconds.

Tip: If you don't have any wired remote, you can just put something on the camera's shutter button and make it press the button continuously by means of a rubber band.

Cheers, Jens.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I'm glad it worked for you Dave!

Now I'm enthusiastically looking out for the time-lapse sequence in the "photos" section.

Cheers, Jens

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Unfortunately, duct tape was not a good solution for holding down the shutter. Out of a 7 hour build process, I captured 3 minutes of images. So no time lapse for me.

Of course, this does mean that I need to build another igloo! This time no snow fall, or blizzard to obstruct good pics.
    ~ ~ Dave

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Brilliant, Jens!!!! That tip is a keeper.
    Canon bodies. L, OM, and Zeiss glass.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Meissner View Post
    If you go on to ebay or similar places, you will see a variety of third party shutter releases (look for RM-UC1 for the E-520 and RM-CB1 for the E-1/E-3). For example:

I haven't purchased anything from this particular vendor, but I have it on my watch list in ebay.
    I have this exact E-1/E-3 version and it works flawlessly, I'd seen the PClix one but was put off by the high price. However on seeing a cheap one on ebay I decided to give it a go and really pleased with it, although it can take a bit of patience it's quite exciting putting the images together and seeing the final result which can take a dull looking day and make it surprisingly appealling.

I've only ever done up to 12 hours with the E-1, I'd love to try a 24 hour run with the GH1 as it comes with an AC adapter, it has a native 16:9 mode and I have the 7-14mm for it. However that would be 8,600 exposures and I've no idea how the GH1 shutter would hold out, it's not something I want to go prematurely given the high cost.

On a side note if you're looking for timelapse software I'd highly recommend Virtualdub, it's not a widely advertised feature but it actually works better than any of the commercial packages I tried. It took the 4,000 pictures as input no problem, easy to set the speed, it can resize/crop to 1920x1080 and then you've got a wide choice of codecs for output.

John
    Olympus E-1, Olympus E-500, Olympus E-330, Olympus DMC-L1, Olympus E-510, Olympus E-3, 7-14mm,12-60mm, 14-42mm, 14-45mm, 14-50mm(Leica), 14-54MM, Sigma 30mm, 35-100mm, 40-150mm(Mk1), 50mm (macro), 50-200mm, 'Bigma' 50-500mm, EC-14, EC-20, FL-36, FL-50, HLD-4, Lowepro Rezo 140AW, Slingshot 100AW

Panasonic GF1, GH1, 7-14mm, 14-140mm, 20mm F1.7, DMW-MA1 Nikon D700, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.4G, 70-200mm F2.8, Fuji F72EXR, Casio EX-FH100

Though I fly through the valley of death I shall feel no fear, for I am at 80,000 feet and climbing

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmcl7 View Post
    I have this exact E-1/E-3 version and it works flawlessly, I'd seen the PClix one but was put off by the high price. However on seeing a cheap one on ebay I decided to give it a go and really pleased with it
    I ended up ordering the one OldDigiMan mentioned. It won't get here for a while, so my next shoot is going to abandon duct tape and move to something like the setup minh0204 uses.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmcl7 View Post
    On a side note if you're looking for timelapse software I'd highly recommend Virtualdub, it's not a widely advertised feature but it actually works better than any of the commercial packages I tried.
    For my first attempt at making a video I used the function that Picasa has. Worked very well, and very easy to figure out. I'll give Virtualdub a try for the next take.

I posted the video (which was not a very good first attempt), and some pics over on the Photo section.
    ~ ~ Dave