Thread: Any limits on E-1 CF card size?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Any limits on E-1 CF card size?

What's the largest size CF card that the E-1 supports? I'm planning to set up and capture a continuous time lapse during a week-long rocketry event this June, and I need to know how often I'll be able to set the remote to trigger.

I'll be using my E1, since it can be powered off of the AC-01 power adapter I bought for it. I'll have an inverter supplying 110V to the AC-01, and the 12V lead-acid gel cell battery will be topped up daily by an appropriate battery charger running off of our PA system's generator all day. That should ensure that the camera doesn't "die" from a dead battery during the event.

I'll probably use my 14-54mm lens, since the combination of that lens and the E1 is weather-sealed. The camera will be mounted at the top of a well-staked-out pole, and I'm planning to build it into a wooden "box" with just a protective filter and hood on the end of the lens exposed poking through a hole, to shelter the camera from the worst of the weather, just in case of a surprise downpour or dust storm.

A bit of figuring shows that there are 1440 minutes in a day, and 10080 minutes in a week. If I set it up to shoot RAW (as is my usual preference), the files are about 10.2 MB each.

Shooting once a minute would take 102,816 MB to store the RAW files, or over 100 GB. Shooting once every 5 minutes brings it down to just over 20 GB.

If I use .JPG, then the files are about 3.8 MB each, making 38,304 MB for once-a-minute shots. Once every 2 minutes drops the total to about 19 GB, which is not unreasonable if the E-1 supports a 32 GB CF card.

What's the largest card anyone has used in the E-1?

Thanks in advance,

- Rick
    Cameras: Yes.
    Lenses: Yes.
    Lighting: Sometimes, depending upon needs.
    Misc.: Other stuff, as needed.

CrayonPhotos.com ... pictures that draw you in.
    Follow me on Twitter.
    Like me on Facebook.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: Any limits on E-1 CF card size?

I use 4G cards in mine, each holds 375-380 .ORF files if I recall correctly. That's six hours and twenty minutes shooting at one frame per minute. I'm sure I've heard of other people using 8G cards ... 12 hours, 40 minutes.

But to set up for capture for a full week's time, unattended, I'd set up Olympus Studio 2 and download directly to a computer ... of course, you have to figure how to power the rig for a week, but I'd bet an inverter and a suitable capacity automotive battery would provide more than enough power to handle both camera and computer AC adapters.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I use 4G cards in mine, each holds 375-380 .ORF files if I recall correctly. That's six hours and twenty minutes shooting at one frame per minute. I'm sure I've heard of other people using 8G cards ... 12 hours, 40 minutes.

But to set up for capture for a full week's time, unattended, I'd set up Olympus Studio 2 and download directly to a computer ... of course, you have to figure how to power the rig for a week, but I'd bet an inverter and a suitable capacity automotive battery would provide more than enough power to handle both camera and computer AC adapters.
    Unfortunately, while the camera and lens are weather-sealed, I can't say the same for a computer. Also, I want the whole rig to be as self-contained as possible, as I plan to support the whole thing on top of a pole (probably an 8' long 2x4 or 4x4, with guy wires running out to strong rebar stakes pounded into the dry lake bed).

Follow me on Twitter.
    Like me on Facebook.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I haven't used the E-1, but I use the E-410, which is also a fair few years old, with a 32GB card. Works flawlessly.
    Olympus E-M1 Mk II
    7.5mm f/2.0 - 17mm f/1.2 - 56mm f/1.4 - 9-18mm - 14-150mm II

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Cool Re: Any limits on E-1 CF card size?

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRick View Post
    What's the largest size CF card that the E-1 supports? I'm planning to set up and capture a continuous time lapse during a week-long rocketry event this June, and I need to know how often I'll be able to set the remote to trigger.
    The current CF format tops off at 128GB (essentially due to CF being defined in terms of IDE/ATA level 5). The CFast standard will switch to SATA and have larger limits, but that will involve a whole new connector, and obviously won't affect existing cameras like the E-1.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CompactFlash

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Meissner View Post
    The current CF format tops off at 128GB (essentially due to CF being defined in terms of IDE/ATA level 5). The CFast standard will switch to SATA and have larger limits, but that will involve a whole new connector, and obviously won't affect existing cameras like the E-1.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CompactFlash
    Does the E-1 support the full CF spec limits, or does it "top out" before then?

Thanks,

- Rick

Follow me on Twitter.
    Like me on Facebook.