Thread: Does E-3 do Live View AF?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Default Does E-3 do Live View AF?

I am considering my next lens purchase, and I am thinking a 14-54 would be good - coupled with an EC-14, it would bridge the gap between the 11-22 and the 70-300.

Now, I know the advantage of the Mk II is that it will allow AF in Live View, but I don't know if the E-3 is capable of this. Can anyone answer this?
    Thomas
    --
    E-5+HLD-4x2; E-1+SHLD-2; 8mm FE; 7-14; 11-22; 14-35; 35-100; 135-400; EC-14; EX-25; FL-50Rx2

My photos: http://ThomasGray.smugmug.com
    My daughter's blog: http://louise-dancey-photographe.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Re: Does E-3 do Live View AF?

I will try. I did a test on my E-3 when I got it and it looked like it did not autofocus in live view. But when you press the shutter down then it did focus. Seems it does not focus while you are looking at the screen but does when you take the shot. Somebody correct me if I am wrong but that was my fast test. Have not tried it since.
    E-5 with grip,E-3 with grip, E-510, 14-42mm, 40-150mm, 70-300mm, 9-18mm, ex-25, fl-36, 14-54mm MK1, 50-200mm SWD

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Cool Re: Does E-3 do Live View AF?

Quote Originally Posted by srtgray View Post
    I am considering my next lens purchase, and I am thinking a 14-54 would be good - coupled with an EC-14, it would bridge the gap between the 11-22 and the 70-300.

Now, I know the advantage of the Mk II is that it will allow AF in Live View, but I don't know if the E-3 is capable of this. Can anyone answer this?
    No, the E-3 does not support live view autofocus. You can press the AEL/AFL button in live view and it will flip the mirror, focus, and flip it back. I really wish they had an option so that 1/2 press of the shutter button (or wired shutter release in my case) would do this auto focus, but they don't.

The newer cameras (E-420, E-450, E-520, E-30, E-620, E-600) will do auto focus in live view if you have a lens like the 14-54mm mark 2 that does contrast detect auto focus.

So if you were buying a used lens, and only had the E-3, then the 14-54mm mark 1 will work just as well as the 14-54mm mark 2.

Note, to be complete the 14-54mm mark 1 will work with the SRF-11 ring flash, while the 14-54mm mark 2 will not. The 14-54mm mark 2 has more rounded aperture blades, so in theory the bokeh (quality of the unfocused area) should be better. I think the cutoff points for where different apertures is used is probably different. I don't recall if the 14-54mm mark 2 has better coatings or ED glass.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by srtgray View Post

You could always try reading your manual

The only way the E-3 can AF in LiveView is by flipping the mirror down/up. It cannot AF off the sensor so the 14-54 MkII will have no advantage over the MkI in that respect.
    Best wishes

Paul

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

E-3 + 14-54mm MK1 doesn't do autofocus in liveview. If you want autofocus you need to press the shutter halfway and press AEL/AFL button then it will flip the mirror up and lock the exposure/focus on the subject with a green dot indicating focus was locked then you need to press full shutter to take the pic. Its a bit annoying but thats the way it was implemented. E-3 doesnt support CDAF.

-Sri

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

The only way the E-3 can AF in LiveView is by flipping the mirror down/up. Paul

I don't have a 14-54 but as I read this thread I thought I'd just pick my E-3 up, it had a Sigma 30/1.4 on it at the time, turn it on to live view and click away around my office at various objects at different distances, perfect focus every time, what am I missing? Didn't I just experience AF in LiveView or was that something else?

Clive

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Cool Re: Does E-3 do Live View AF?

Quote Originally Posted by Halfa View Post
    The only way the E-3 can AF in LiveView is by flipping the mirror down/up. Paul

I don't have a 14-54 but as I read this thread I thought I'd just pick my E-3 up, it had a Sigma 30/1.4 on it at the time, turn it on to live view and click away around my office at various objects at different distances, perfect focus every time, what am I missing? Didn't I just experience AF in LiveView or was that something else?

Clive
    When you take the picture it flips the mirror, focuses, flips the mirror back, and takes the picture.

Now, turn off live view, look through the viewfinder, and 1/2 press the shutter, and the camera will focus. Move the camera so it is looking at something further away and notice it is out of focus. Half press the shutter again, and it is back in focus.

Now, with live view mode, try the same thing again. Doing 1/2 press of the shutter will not do anything, and the image on the screen will be out of focus. Now hit AEL/AFL, and the camera will focus. Move the camera to look at a far subject, and it will be out of focus on the screen. Do AEL/AFL again, to focus it.

Now, my main gripe is the 1/2 shutter press does not do the auto focus like it does when using the optical viewfinder. In particular, when I have the camera on a monopod, and I'm using a wired (or wireless) shutter release cord, I can't get it to auto focus before I take the picture. Now, the image on the LCD is out of focus, but I generally can make sure the active focus square encompasses the subject I'm interested it, and auto focus on that.

In addition, you don't have continuous focus mode at all in live view mode.

Now on a newer camera with a lens that handles contrast detect auto focus, 1/2 press of the shutter focuses without having to flip the mirror twice.

Back in the fall, when I had some money to upgrade my gear, I specifically started looking for a camera that would allow me to do the auto focus on a monopod. For awhile, I was thinking of going with the E-620 and picking up a p&s to handle video (which was another thing I wanted occasionally), but instead I wound up with an E-P2.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Never really noticed this until now. I always thought the E-3 was just an amped up L10, but I guess I was mistaken. The E-30 and the L10 both do CDAF in live view, but the E-3 doesn't.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ptuk View Post
    You could always try reading your manual
    Surprisingly enough, I have. It describes the flip-flop of the mirror very succinctly, but this was before the MkII and CDAF was available, so I didn't know if this was a "hidden" feature. Hence the question.

But the fact that it won't, coupled with the news that the Mk I holds the macro flashes directly, means that I shall be looking for a Mk I in a couple of months' time.
    Thomas
    --
    E-5+HLD-4x2; E-1+SHLD-2; 8mm FE; 7-14; 11-22; 14-35; 35-100; 135-400; EC-14; EX-25; FL-50Rx2

My photos: http://ThomasGray.smugmug.com
    My daughter's blog: http://louise-dancey-photographe.blogspot.com/