Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The E-1 WOW!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Re: E-1 vs. E-620

Quote Originally Posted by Lowa2 View Post
    In a recent interview, Olympus said that the E1 was completely designed by Olympus. The E3 (and now E5) was designed in consultation with professional photographers, and what they thought would be better I like my E1, but I love my E3 (with all of it's quirks)
    I prefer the dual dials of the E-3. That and the IS of course, make it an all-around better body build over the E-1 to me (ignoring the double resolution and other imaging advances).
    Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-PL2 PEN | Olympus E-PM1 PEN | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

You happen to like the jump-off-your-hand shutter sound, the fussy mode button, tiny EV comp. button, and the flimsy LCD too?

The E-3 ergonomic is a poor copy of Canon's 40D (and some of Nikon D200, for that mode button). The only thing that makes the E-3 superior is the Zuiko lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Neddog View Post
    I prefer the dual dials of the E-3. That and the IS of course, make it an all-around better body build over the E-1 to me (ignoring the double resolution and other imaging advances).

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Default Re: The E-1 WOW!

I still own an E-1 and sold the E-3 and got an E-620 instead. I like small camera(s), it is just a camera.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Exactly same said my fellow, canon shooter, when he played for few days with E-3.
    Actually he got in hands e-1 and e-3 almost in same time. And he as well prefered e-1 more than e-3 as a camera.

Quote Originally Posted by minh0204 View Post
    The E-3 ergonomic is a poor copy of Canon's 40D (and some of Nikon D200, for that mode button). The only thing that makes the E-3 superior is the Zuiko lens.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Sounds to be true, because E-3 really is not an olympus camera in my opinion... From other side, I can understand them- they have to deliver what most users ask (like cars now are almost same, because most manufacturers are afraid to be different)... And if professionals wants canikon...

Quote Originally Posted by Lowa2 View Post
    In a recent interview, Olympus said that the E1 was completely designed by Olympus. The E3 (and now E5) was designed in consultation with professional photographers, and what they thought would be better I like my E1, but I love my E3 (with all of it's quirks)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

The only thing that I feel handicapped with the E-1 is the megapixels. Other than that, it's an excellent camera, and I often picked it over my E-3 when going out.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I use an E1 and E3, and have average sized hands; I would say that the differences in their size, shape and design, are such that it's a 'Horses for Courses' kind of situation when used. The E1, enables you to wrap your hands around it, especially useful when using the 50mm Macro for street photography, when wanting to be unobtrusive and unintimidating around people pays dividends. It reeks of it's OM1 heritage. Being small does have some disavantages, such as the compactness of the buttons on the back, but what the hell, when it delivers the goods in the ways I have just mentioned?

The E3, is bulkier, but the controls are more accessible, and there is a raft of other benefits functionality-wise, when a more deliberated style of picture-taking is the order of the day. The 7-14mm and 50-200mm lenses are less of a handful on the E3, camera-handling wise, as the E1's body 'feels' somewhat 'swamped' by either of these.

My only niggle about the E3 and E5, is the 'odd' design of the card compartment lever, which I feel, would be better if the lever worked the other way round. The only improvement I would make on both of them would be to 'raise' the DOF button, beyond the surface of the body so you can 'feel' where it is, especially when using gloves. I have found away round this by gluing the end cut off a plastic tyre valve dust-cover onto the existing button on both cameras.
    Even after 4 dacades of togging , I've a lot to learn!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: The E-1 WOW!

As to which body design one likes more, De gustibus non disputandem!

I have the E-1, have been wanting an E-3 since they were released, and look forward to the E-5 now. Both, to me, are superb body designs.

I decided a month ago to experiment and concentrate on doing my photography with only one camera for while again ... not least because I have been traveling and moving this past month and I really didn't want to try to track cameras, batteries, etc for three different cameras. I chose the E-1 and have used it exclusively since the beginning of September.

Despite its lethargic write times, slow autofocus and low megapixel count, the E-1 remains a beauty. Concentrating on using it and making photographs, not comparing it to other cameras, I've found it makes very satisfying photographs and that I honestly don't care about how it compares. I sometimes wish for the 12 Mpixel resolution of the G1 when rendering, the Live View of the G1 and L1 when doing tripod work, etc etc ... but the bottom line is this now ancient camera continues to work beautifully for my needs.

The E-5's better viewfinder, improved responsiveness, larger LCD, fast write speed, etc are all going to be great. And the ability to capture video as well ... I'm going to love it.

But they don't make the E-1 any less than what it is: a wonderful camera that can be exploited to make a lot of very fine photographs.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Regardless E-1 small size, it is much easer for me to handle E-1 with 35-100 (with which I shoot mostly) than 35-100 with E-3. Yes, E-3 is bigger, but grip is not anymore so deep as E-1's grip. This was very annoying for me when I played with E-3. Button placement is not very big deal, I can get used to that...
    First thought was, when took E-3 in hands- this body is for small hands/short fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Footloose1949 View Post
    I use an E1 and E3, and have average sized hands; I would say that the differences in their size, shape and design, are such that it's a 'Horses for Courses' kind of situation when used. The E1, enables you to wrap your hands around it, especially useful when using the 50mm Macro for street photography, when wanting to be unobtrusive and unintimidating around people pays dividends. It reeks of it's OM1 heritage. Being small does have some disavantages, such as the compactness of the buttons on the back, but what the hell, when it delivers the goods in the ways I have just mentioned?

The E3, is bulkier, but the controls are more accessible, and there is a raft of other benefits functionality-wise, when a more deliberated style of picture-taking is the order of the day. The 7-14mm and 50-200mm lenses are less of a handful on the E3, camera-handling wise, as the E1's body 'feels' somewhat 'swamped' by either of these.