Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The E-1 WOW!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Default The E-1 WOW!

I have heard all the blah, blah, blah E-1 praise everywhere. I Have owned the Oly e-420 (cool, small, I get it!) Next up was the E620, Smallest IS Dslr, Ton of Bells and whistles , can do everything but bake a cake! (I get it!)

When I use My 620 I am hit or miss, The view finder IS Crap (too small), If you want tac sharp stuff you have to do everything right and let the AF do the work. The view finder is for framing a comp Set this, set that, Dont do this, Make sure that. I mean if you have perfect light, and the settings are in the Ballpark the Camera will do the rest and give you a good Image. There is just too much fiddling to get it right! (unlike the E-1 what you see in the view finder is what you get). Btw I have better than 20/20 vision. Enter the E-1

I have been hunting all over to get the Perfect E-1 and boy did I find one. When Oly made this camera they really got it right. The shutter button, Man this thing is so sweet, quiet, smooth. You dont need to use Mirror lockup to get a nice shot in a less than well lit area. This Shutter Should of been put on every single OLY DSLR camera it ever built after the E-1. They gave up on it to make it smaller and that is a Shame!

Next Up the view finder. The one on the 420 and the 620 really are crap compared to the E-1! But Live view is the answer with Noisy 10x close ups, NOT! The answer fro OLY was to keep the E-1 viewfinder too. However they cant use the Worlds Smallest as a selling point. Seems the world Smallest is all they care about, (Micro emphasis, hmmmm). They are going to put a dummied up camera in the hands of the masses, instead of building on back bone of the flagship E-1, by keeping what worked and add new features, better ISO, pixels ect..

Seems like Oly has done this sort of thing for years, Had the best of it, Then went 180 away from it. They didn't even put up a fight as far as I am concerned, they let Nikon and Canon build an empire that will never be looking over its shoulder to see if OLY is in the rear view mirror! They are simply to far gone to compete as a true Pro camera! (no flamimg) I know price vs function. I know how great OLY is in Jpeg out of the box, I know how great the glass is, I know, I know, I know!

I thought I knew what a good camera feels like, My 620 with the hld-5 on it, was IMO the King!. Now have the cover on it and am packing My E-1. I can't wait to get my new E-1 grip (on the way). My 620 is the 3rd camera from the top in the Oly line up. In reality, except for Numbers, it is so far behind what the E-1 is, it inst even on the same planet!

If there was a way I could get the exact e-1 shutter, and View finder onto my 620. I may find new love for it! I find myself always looking down at the camera trying to find an adjustment to fix a problem. Shooting is Work with my 620 AND NO WHERE NEAR THE FUN AS THE E-1! That should of been the Slogan. "Nothing is as fun as the E-1"

Shooting with the E-1 is simple, Fun and makes me almost feel like a pro. When I set something I know what is going to happen (I have had it a DAY). I dont have to bring the camera down from my eye to fix why it wont take the shot, like I do with the 620. The viewfinder on the E-1, is like shooting old 35mm cameras. Full frame,I can see everything. With the E-1, I can use manual focus and get sharp images, I cannot do it with the 620 unless I use a tripod and Live view on a stationary target or use an AF mode and have good light! (I dont have any pro glass yet, Maybe this is the problem). I think not! All of my lenses are wonderful on the E-1, It isnt the glass, the photographer, or my technique. It is the Camera! I have not used an e30 or an e-3 so I hate to bash Oly too hard. But seeing the similarity's to the 620 and the current flagship, I really feel like Oly really screwed the pooch!

I fell in Love with the E-1, Hell I fell in love with Olympus all over. The E-1 just feels right! Something until yesterday I have never had before! A BA Camera that is so simple to use!

Akfreak<----- steps down off the soap box! I hope my words aren't taken to personally, It is just how I feel, about the camera's I own! So if you plan to set me straight, I am all ears! I will hold no grudges! Akf!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Default Re: The E-1 WOW!

Nothing taken personally here, I still have my E-1. It is a lovely camera. Depending on your style, it may or may not be limiting when compared to the newer bodies though. But, as you've pointed out, those newer bodies involve compromises too!

Regarding your point about size, and Oly's apparent fixation with "smaller is better". I understand your point, but I think I know where Oly's coming from with this. The only real advantage to a 4/3 sensor versus a larger format, is that it allows you to build smaller bodies and smaller lenses (comparatively speaking). If you're going to concentrate on E-1 sized bodies, you're really not playing to your strong suite.

I've heard it said from others, and I've said it myself. If Oly had built an updated E-1 with IS, Liveview, and a larger LCD, and nothing else - I'd be in heaven. They haven't yet had a match for the viewfinder, shutter, or that old Kodak sensor, IMO.
    Nate

"There's only one rule in photography - never develop colour film in chicken noodle soup." - Freeman Patterson

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Interesting. Thought the E3 had as big or bigger viewfinder vs E1?
    thanks
    barondla

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by akfreak View Post
    Seems like Oly has done this sort of thing for years, Had the best of it, Then went 180 away from it. They didn't even put up a fight as far as I am concerned, they let Nikon and Canon build an empire that will never be looking over its shoulder to see if OLY is in the rear view mirror! They are simply to far gone to compete as a true Pro camera! (no flamimg) I know price vs function. I know how great OLY is in Jpeg out of the box, I know how great the glass is, I know, I know, I know!
    You do realize that the successor to the E1 was the E3... not any of the other models, right?

Saying that they went backwards is wrong, you're comparing a pro model to consumer DSLRs.
    E-410 - E-3 - EPL-1 - EX-25 - FL-36R - FL-50 - Zuiko 14-42mm - Zuiko 40-150mm - Zuiko 70-300mm - Zuiko 50-200mm SWD - Sigma 105 f2.8 - Zuiko 25mm f2.8 - Zuiko OM 50mm f1.8 - Zuiko 14-54mm MkI f/2.8-3.5 - HLD-4 - Promaster Digital Macrolume for Oly - M.Zuiko 14-42mm L - DMW-MA1

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The E-3 vf is larger, better, the camera is faster. I like the E-3.

But all i really need is the E-1 with about 12 Mpixels.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Default E-1 vs. E-620

I understand your post. I have two E-1 bodies and an E-620. After two months of using the E-620 a majority of the time, I am still torn between the two models. I've made a concerted effort to learn to use the strengths of the E-620 and ignore the fluff (and there is a lot of it IMO). Yet, I am drawn to the E-1. Maybe I'm living in 1984, but, as a camera body, from day one I found the E-1 as easy to use as my old OM-4. I cannot say that in any way about the E-620. It's not bad, but it is different.

The battle in my mind may continue. I like the 12Mp and LCD of the E-620, but I like almost everything else about the E-1. I do not see myself coming to a conclusion about better or worse anytime soon, if ever.

Note to Olympus: Reproduce the exact E-1 form factor in 2010. Update the sensor, processor, AF, and LCD. Maintain the build quality and weather sealing. Properly glue the rubber . You will have another pro/enthusiast winner.
    Last edited by James Pilcher; 03-14-2010 at 10:08 AM.
    Regards,

Jim Pilcher
    Summit County, Colorado, USA

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

IMHO, the E-1 shows its age with respect to AF, LCD/image review, metering, flash metering, WB, sensor noise, etc. However, i do think that its sensor and JPEG engine deliver amazing image quality at lower ISOs. The DR and tonality seems as good or better than anything else in the lineup... which speaks to the OP's point: if Oly could do this with the E-1 years ago, what happened in the name of progress?
    4/3: Oly E-3, E-1, E-520, 9-18, 11-22, 14-54, 50-200, 70-300, 25/2.8, 35/3.5 | Leica 14-50, 14-150, 25/1.4
    m4/3: E-P3 | G1 | 14/2.5 | 20/1.7 | 14-42 IIR | 17/2.8 | 45/1.8 | Nik 20/3.5
    Nikon: D90, D700, 70-300/VR, 24/2.8, 35/1.8, 35/2, CV 40/2, 50/1.4G, 60/2.8, 85/1.8, 180/2.8 | f/2.8 zooms | Zeiss 25/2.8
    Sony: A55, A900, 24-85, 70-210/4, 20/2.8, 24/2.8, 30/2.8, 35/1.4G, 50/1.7, Zeiss 85/1.4
    P&S: Canon S90

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Default What is progress?

Quote Originally Posted by e_dawg View Post
    ...what happened in the name of progress?
    When it comes down to it, I think we "old timers" have a much different view of what progress is. Additionally, gearheads and photographers differ on the definition of progress. There never is a consensus opinion regarding each new product introduction.
    Regards,

Jim Pilcher
    Summit County, Colorado, USA

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Re: E-1 vs. E-620

Quote Originally Posted by James Pilcher View Post
    Note to Olympus: Reproduce the exact E-1 form factor in 2010. Update the sensor, processor, AF, and LCD. Maintain the build quality and weather sealing. Properly glue the rubber . You will have another pro/enthusiast winner.
    I agree 100%.

Although I have the E-3, I will always keep my E-1.
    Lawrence

All of the images I post are open for critique. Feel free to modify one of my images if it helps the critique.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I am deeply in love with my E-1!!!

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by e_dawg View Post
    IMHO, the E-1 shows its age with respect to AF, LCD/image review, metering, flash metering, WB, sensor noise, etc. However, i do think that its sensor and JPEG engine deliver amazing image quality at lower ISOs. The DR and tonality seems as good or better than anything else in the lineup... which speaks to the OP's point: if Oly could do this with the E-1 years ago, what happened in the name of progress?
    The dynamic range and tonality are no where near what the E3 offers, I'm borrowing an E1 while my E3 is being repaired and the first thing I noticed was the lesser DR and poorer tonality and contrast.
    A fine camera the E1 was in it's day, but it's a dated camera now and I'm looking forward to getting the E3 back.
    In the E1's favour I do like it's size and weight for casual photography but prefer the E3 when I'm out doing serious stuff.

Paul
    G5, GH3, 7-14, 12-35, 35-100, 25.
    RX100

View my online albums Picasa and
    Flickr

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

...like many of you, even though I have my arsenal of E-3's and an E-510, there's still an E-1 residing among the fleet, and there are no plans on it ever leaving...
    cheers,

Lorne Miller

http://lornemiller.smugmug.com/

4/3rds stuff: E-1 w HLD-2
    35-100 f2, 14-35 f2 SWD, 50-200 SWD
    m4/3rds stuff: OM-D E-M5 x 2, mZD 12-50, mZD 40-150, mZD 14-42

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Sold my E-500. Now all I have is the E-1! And a bunch of glass...

From an amateur's point of view: I could not want more...

Cheers
    Andy

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I will never let go of my E1 either. Although I use my E3 all the time, when I need a second body the E1 is the perfect backup.

Kalispell Montana, mere minutes from Glacier Park
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Maybe the OP should have re-read his thread before he jumped ship,
    just sayin'
    If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads,
    you're doing something wrong." óJohn Gierach

Jim
    Visit me at:

www.hillbilly-photo.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    The E-3 vf is larger, better, the camera is faster. I like the E-3.
    And now we have the E-5. Olympus has never stopped making cameras with great viewfinders, rugged build, and weather sealing, and in fact have been making them better and better. Putting out consumer level cameras in between doesn't affect that, it only pays the bills for further R&D.

I love my E-3, but I know I would love an E-5 even more.
    Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-PL2 PEN | Olympus E-PM1 PEN | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Neddog View Post
    And now we have the E-5. Olympus has never stopped making cameras with great viewfinders, rugged build, and weather sealing, and in fact have been making them better and better. Putting out consumer level cameras in between doesn't affect that, it only pays the bills for further R&D.

Did you get the invite from Olympus to preview the E5 at the Henry's show?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I agree.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Putting out consumer level cameras in between doesn't affect that, it only pays the bills for further R&D.

except that according to Olympus the consumer level cameras were sold below cost They didn't make money on those but were hoping to make money when those people moved on to buy the HG and SHG lenses
    E-30, 7-14, 14-35, 35-100, 50-200, 50mm f2, EC-14, mecablitz 58AF-1, Feisol CT-3342 tripod, Photo Clam PC-48NS ball head

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by gunnerx View Post
    Did you get the invite from Olympus to preview the E5 at the Henry's show?
    Unfortunately, we don't have Henry's stores out west.
    Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-PL2 PEN | Olympus E-PM1 PEN | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by okla View Post
    except that according to Olympus the consumer level cameras were sold below cost They didn't make money on those but were hoping to make money when those people moved on to buy the HG and SHG lenses
    Really? I'd never heard this... but if that's true, I'm sure the bodies still served their purpose even at cost. How many people on this forum have only the kit lenses that came with their bodies?

cyclopsphoto.ca

Thanks
    Feedback Score

In that case I would not feel sad about spending $1700 for body... E-3 after E-1 was disappointment for me, because E-3 just simply don't fit in my hands properly... I simply don't like ergonomics of E-3. Even not speaking about other things further...

Sadly we will never know why they changed that all (I hope they know and their decision was not disappointment for them also later.. ).

For kinds of shooting I do, E-1 still is ok for my needs. I will now invest money in next SHG lens hoping that some day they will offer body that may attract me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by James Pilcher View Post

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by lkeeney View Post
    I agree 100%.

Although I have the E-3, I will always keep my E-1.
    I agree with you!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I've enjoyed the E-1, but am really looking forward to upgrading to an E-5 late this year / early next.

I'm sure there are things I'll miss. There were things I missed moving to the E-1 from the C-8080. Still, the advantages more than made up for it, and I expect the same this time around.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Martinss View Post
    In that case I would not feel sad about spending $1700 for body... E-3 after E-1 was disappointment for me, because E-3 just simply don't fit in my hands properly... I simply don't like ergonomics of E-3. Even not speaking about other things further...

Sadly we will never know why they changed that all (I hope they know and their decision was not disappointment for them also later.. ).

For kinds of shooting I do, E-1 still is ok for my needs. I will now invest money in next SHG lens hoping that some day they will offer body that may attract me as well.
    In a recent interview, Olympus said that the E1 was completely designed by Olympus. The E3 (and now E5) was designed in consultation with professional photographers, and what they thought would be better I like my E1, but I love my E3 (with all of it's quirks)
    Charles

Canon cool aid, but soft spot for Oly :-D