Thread: Winners - (with some apprasials added) 'Shooting Wildlife with your camera' promotion

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Smile Winners - (with some apprasials added) 'Shooting Wildlife with your camera' promotion

Appraisal from Judges will follow. (now some added in blue)

Winner(s) please kindly PM your postal address to me so that I can mail the gift to you.

1st, JRM60,
    Gull soaring overhead, got 26 points
    Judge A:
    Stands out from the other winners for its lighting and composition. The back-lit wings gives an appealing glow, and the diagonal gull reinforced by the cloud on one side and blue on the other is outstanding.
    Judge B:
    Outstanding photograph with great lighting, detail, color, contrast, and timing. It was inspiring to see a well done shot of a common bird win the contest.

Judge F:
    A fine example of how a very common subject can still result in a unique photograph. I really like the backlit gut against the blue sky with wispy clouds. I'd recommend a slighly tighter crop to make the bird even more prominent in the frame.
    Judge G:
    The simplicity combined with the unusual translucence of the gull makes this a winner for me. The sky has some mottled clouds which perfectly balances the variations in the gull's winter plumage. This would not have been any better with 'ideally' blue sky and white gull. This is a good proof that one do not need exotic wildlife to make great wildlife photography!

2nd, Sarc
    Lioness in tree, Serengeti, Feb 2nd., got 20 points
    Judge B:
    The composition of this photo and and play of light on the lioness in the tree is excellent. Technically, the photo is extremely sharp with good detail and color.

Judge C:
    Love the light in this photo... especially in the cat's eyes. Nice sense of isolation of the cat from background separation.
    Judge G:
    This is simply a beautiful portrait of a lioness - very hard to resist. Although the animal evidently is up in a tree, the POV is more or less level with its head which I think is essential in order to get a feeling that the viewer is there with the lioness. In addition, the fact that her attention is at something off to the left also gives a feeling that she is undisturbed - I feel that I'm peeking into a space in nature totally incognito. There are several technical points that also raises this image above the usual, such as the warm low sunlight which gives a very rich colour to the fur as well as an ever so important catchlight in the eye. The photographer made a very good job exposing for the sunlit fur here rather than trusting an average metering by the camera.

3rd, Jebir,
    the Bison, got 15 points
    Judge B:
    The light playing on the frost and dark fur of the bison stand out well, and make this subject somewhat tricky to get the correct exposure. I liked this photo because the exposure, color, and detail were very good in both the dark and the light areas. As well, it is a good portrait of the bison.

Judge C:
    Bold color and composition! Love the light and shape caused by light and snow on the bison. Also love the "straight ahead" look on bison face
    Judge F:
    An classic style shot of an iconic species. Great composition, lighting and wonder separation from the background. I think it could be improved with just a little more room to the left and bottom.

4th, we have 4 participants got 14 points.

mco_970

Judge A:
    Interesting because of the composition and unusual white colours. Very crisp and sharp and nicely composed.
    Judge C:
    Love the bold look, simple color scheme, perfect expression on eagle face
    Judge F:
    A nice sharp capture. The exposure is well controlled. Good eye contact from the bird. I would prefer if the Eagle was looking into the frame as opposed to the outside edge of it and if this shot was taken from a little further back with a longer lens then the perpspectiive would feel less like the photographer was shooting up at the bird
    Judge G:
    I like the pose of this bald eagle much better than the usual perched-bald-eagle-photo we use to see. I love when one can see the back of the birds, which usually are much more interesting than their chests, and simultaneously see their face by a >90 ° turn of their head. In this photograph, the eagle is sharp and well exposed but unfortunately it leans a bit too much forward and the vantage point becomes a bit too much from the tail to make for a perfect pose displaying the back.

BrianS
    White-winged Crossbill
    Judge B:
    I selected this photo because the composition was excellent, and the colors in the photo were so pleasing. As well, it is sharp and shows good detail, and makes it very clear why the bird is called a crossbill.

Judge F:
    There is just something that draws m e to the photograph. The Crossbill is nice and sharp. I just love the classic pose of the bird looking back over its shoulder. The colours of the plumage are nicely offset by the monotone background. I think that some of the branches balance the composition...but if this were my photo I would be really tempted to clone out the branches at the top left corner, the bottom right corner, and along the right side.
    Judge G:
    This two-barred crossbill is photographed in the 'shot-through' style which I love! While not obscuring any essential parts of the bird, the out-of-focus twigs in the foreground (and the background) give me the feeling of viewing the bird out in mother nature. Here, the beautiful back with its bands is displayed in full glory while the bird stays in contact with me as a viewer and shows off its crossed beak by turning the head just the right amount.

harmbr,
    White Fronted Tern
    Judge A:
    Delicate shot and a good moment to catch with the fish, but the surroundings and shot looking down at the bird on the beach count against it. Imagine if it was in the air against the sky or over the water....it could have been a winner.
    Judge C:
    Love the action on this one, and wing shape making the composition.
    Judge G:
    Terns are cool birds and when photographed in flight, take-off, or landing often exhibit great photogenically. In this photograph, I like the action and the slight asymmetry in combination with the interestingly undulated flight feathers. I think it is a very interesting and decorative photograph.

sarc
    Lion in all his glory, Ngorongoro Crater, Feb 1st
    Judge A:
    A nice and very informal pose, different from the normal. Technically good but does not have enough wow factor to be a winner.
    Judge B:
    This photo was nice in that it showed a playful side of the fierce apex predator. The photo was very good on a technical level, and interesting as well.

Judge G:
    The resting lion shows a cool pose with some interesting details of a male lion's anatomy and parasites. However, in general I don't think the composition or the light are particularly interesting and to make this a great wildlife photograph, I'd wish for a content facial expression of the animal to be seen.

Honorable mention
    Jebir,
    Looking good.
    I (Johannes) myself like this one very much, reason is: it is very cute indeed, also not easy to capture from a long distance for small object (GoldenEyes Ducks) under tough condition.
    Judge A:
    charming moment and I'm surprised it did not rate higher.

Last edited by Johannes; 03-18-2010 at 10:15 PM.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Default Re: 'Shooting Wildlife with your camera' promotion Winners

Thanks for arranging this Johannes
    and congratulations to the clear winner!

Cheers Jens.
    Motto: Wildlife won't come to me unless I go to it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    My Wildlife Photos: jensbirch.smugmug.com

E-5, E-3, E-510, IR-E-1 ,E-P2
    ZD: 7-14, 14-54, 50, 50-200 SWD, 90-250/2.8, 300/2.8, EC-14, EC-20
    Peleng 8mm fisheye, shift Tamron SP 17/3.5, Tokina AT-X 300/2.8
    FL-50R, FL-40, FL-20, HLD-2, HLD-4, cleaved ZD EX-25 w. electric bypass, 250D, 500D, KatzEye Plus OptiBrite
    Feisol CT-3472LV and CM-1471

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

My congratulations to the winner as well!

Nice to get some more Olympus items, got the Space Collection last year
    Last edited by sarc; 03-16-2010 at 12:41 PM.
    ----------------
    Svein
    E-3, E-1, E-520, 14-54mm, 50-200mm, 50mm, EC-14, 14-42mm, 40-150mm (old), FL-36, FL-50R + some OM-stuff: OM-4, 50mm f1.4, 24mm f2,8

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

JRM, congratulations!!

Thank you, Johannes!
    Canon bodies. L, OM, and Zeiss glass.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Congratulations to number one ... and all the winners. Very nice images.
    New E-5, E-30 & E-510 ... with 12-60 and 70-300 lenses.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Thank you Jens, Svein, Michelle and Brian.

The purpose of this event is about spirit as Don Baldwinson said, the gifts' value is very small and actually humble indeed. RocketRick did point out I might used the wrong word 'price' vs prize, now is the chance to explain: I paid a small price for the gifts and postage but I got a big return of photos of wildlife which I have no chance to see it in Hongkong, here is a concrete jungle with lots of pollution, from this event I got a lot from a small 'price'

I would like to take this chance to express my thanks again to all the participants and judges.

Also thanks Tony Spore for this great site and allow me to run a promotion event here.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: Winners --- 'Shooting Wildlife with your camera' promotion

Good on you for your inspiration Johannes, and pleasing to see your obvious enjoyment of the results. Pretty good given the relatively short time frame for a quite difficult assignment.
    Cheers,
    Don

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Congratulations to everyone involved! The photos are excellent, and must have presented a real challenge for the judges to decide. Props to Johannes as well for putting the whole thing together!
    Nate

"There's only one rule in photography - never develop colour film in chicken noodle soup." - Freeman Patterson

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Johannes -

Thanks for putting this on, and thanks to all who have commented. I really didn't expect to do so well! Also, thanks to those who took the time to judge, I would not have wanted your job! A great group of images and Johannes, I'm glad we could add some wildlife to your concrete world!
    Best Regards, Jim

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Everyone, CONGRATULATIONS!
    Constructive criticism is always welcomed. I am here to learn. Just don't piss me off.

Toni

Check out my flickr

E-5, E-520, ZD 50-200, ZD14-54, ZD 50mm macro, ZD14-42 & ZD40-150 lens, EC-14,EC-20, FL-50r flash, Flashpoint F-1228 Carbon Fiber Tripod <---piece of crap, Giottos MH1302-655 ball head, Vanguard SBH-200 Ball Head Canon Monopod, Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch Tablet, Wacom Intuos 4 Pen Tablet

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Congratulations to all who participated, to all who put this contest together, and to Tony, because if it wasn't for him none of this would have been possible.

It would be nice if once again this website could sponsor monthly competitions, not with elaborate prizes, but simply to coordinate competition in several categories, like nature/wildlife, landscapes, abstract, glamor, etc. And maybe, at the end of the year put together some 4/3-photo calendars - one for each of the aforementioned (and other) categories. They would make very nice gifts, and it may even be a good way to generate income for 4/3-photo-dot-com.

A couple years ago I put together a calendar (all shots from Paynes Praire) and gave them (total = 10) to friends, co-workers, family, etc. It's just a thought, ya know? I'm just sayin' ...

-leon
    -leon

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    RE: My Posted Photos: C&C = welcome
    E-1 & E-3 // 14-54mm & 50-200mm SWD

Kalispell Montana, mere minutes from Glacier Park
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Excellent choices across the board. Congrats to everyone!

JRM60's gull, besides being technically difficult, is also stunning to look at,
    Worthy of
    If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads,
    you're doing something wrong." —John Gierach

Jim
    Visit me at:

www.hillbilly-photo.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Thumbs up Re: Winners --- 'Shooting Wildlife with your camera' promotion

congratulations all cheers Pete

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Terry Walls

Congratulations to all - well deserved and a great idea.

Why not put up another challenge? The prizes don't matter.
    Terry
    Canberra, Australia
    e620, OM20 and OM40 and lots of stuff

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Thank you Don, Nathan, Toni, Leon, Pete, Terry and both Jim.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Gifts for Jens, Svein, Jim, Brian and Michelle sent out this afternoon.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Winners - (with some apprasials added) 'Shooting Wildlife with your camera' promo

Thank you Johannes for organizing this competition, much appreciated.

And many thanks to the judges for their honest critique and the time they invested.

Congratulation to all winners and specially to JRM60 with your well deserved win, that is one stunning photo.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Default Re: Winners - (with some apprasials added) 'Shooting Wildlife with your camera' promo

Dear Harm, thank you for your participation and congrats to you.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

I can't believe I didn't see this until now. Congratulations JMR60 and all the orher well deserved winners. I knew when that Gull was posted the contest was won, at least in my book anyway. It's got plenty of that WOW factor and not an easy image to record I might add.

Everyone entered such outstanding images, I'm just glad I wasn't a judge. We're so lucky to have such talent to observe and learn from on this forum and everyone is so nice to help all the nubbies as they join in with us. I'll drink to a great contest and a great forum!
    DonR -
    Everything is now sold.
    E-30-ME-1/9-18/14-54mkI/40-150mkII/50-200 SWD/70-300/Sigma 50-500/50 f2/EC-14/EX-25/Leica V-LUX 1/TCON 17/Raynox 6600 Pro/FL 50/ Panny DMC-ZS5
    Images at http://donr.zenfolio.com/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Now, what are the chances of the judges expressing opinions on what the other photos lacked, that kept them from scoring higher
    A real, technical C&C, would benefit everybody who reads this thread

Jim
    Visit me at:

www.hillbilly-photo.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Real Name
    Don

Yikes Jim, that's asking a lot

But I agree it would benefit us all if they were willing to take on that task.

I'm sure we can be our own worst critics allowing for our current experience and perhaps have submitted our best in the time allowed but it would be really interesting to hear how our efforts are perceived by others.

Cheers, Don
    From E-510/E-30/E-3/E-5 to Nikon D7100 and now D7200/D800
    Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photography
    My Acreage Bird Photographs

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

If nothing else, if there was a list of criteria used to produce the scores, we could evaluate our own stuff using the criteria used to judge the contest.
    I would have no idea how to go about judging such a thing on technical merits.

Jim
    Visit me at:

www.hillbilly-photo.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Terry Walls

I have been thinking the same thing as Jim and had thought about posting a request for feedback.

It wasn't loke there was 200 entries.

I would like some feedback if that is possible - even if it is private.

Cheers
    Terry
    Canberra, Australia
    e620, OM20 and OM40 and lots of stuff

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

OK, I understand your wishes but personally, as one of the judges, I don't feel for giving further comments on those photos that didn't make it to the top 6. There are a couple of reasons but first let's start explaining the judging procedure.

Judging was made in the following manner:
    Quote Originally Posted by judges' instructions
    1. Judges each vote for their 6 favourite images. No reasons included.
    2. Judges each forward a short appraisal of each of the 6 final images (the most voted).
    3. Johannes chooses the comments he feels most appropriate for each image and presents them with the 6 images and winner to the Forum.
    We were 5 judges, each judge distributed 33 points to his/her top 6 candidates (out of 43 entries).

Now about commenting;
    This is a contest where the judges motivated why they liked the images that made it to the top 6 - if some judges didn't vote for one of them, hes/she was free to pass on the commenting. I think it is fair to leave it with that because it was not an open critique event. - Maybe some judges wouldn't have participated if they were required to write critiques on photos they didn't like.

I can't speak for other judges but for me, giving meaningful feedback (= critique, not the usual coutesy comments in the photo forum) needs some thought and takes me some time to do. Naturally, the more I like the photo, the easier it is. However, since this was a competition and the result has been announced, asking me to critiqe images that didn't get my vote, I feel is like asking me to motivate why I didn't 'like' them so much. I think most can agree that that is a whole different thing than appraising the winners.

That's how I feel about your request. I'm off on a trip for next week but when I come back home, I'll PM comments on those images that I voted for but didn't make it to the final 6. That's as fair compromise I think.

Cheers, Jens

EDIT:
    PS. I don't expect the other judges to follow my example.
    Last edited by jebir; 04-03-2010 at 12:38 PM.
    Motto: Wildlife won't come to me unless I go to it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    My Wildlife Photos: jensbirch.smugmug.com

E-5, E-3, E-510, IR-E-1 ,E-P2
    ZD: 7-14, 14-54, 50, 50-200 SWD, 90-250/2.8, 300/2.8, EC-14, EC-20
    Peleng 8mm fisheye, shift Tamron SP 17/3.5, Tokina AT-X 300/2.8
    FL-50R, FL-40, FL-20, HLD-2, HLD-4, cleaved ZD EX-25 w. electric bypass, 250D, 500D, KatzEye Plus OptiBrite
    Feisol CT-3472LV and CM-1471