Thread: Running with a DSLR

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Running with a DSLR

So I've looked around and can't find any real answers (aside from "avoid it" and "are you crazy!?"). Though one suggestion was to use something like this which is frankly hilarious.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw the question out: can anyone think of a bag or rig that would allow one to run with a DSLR?

I won't be taking photos while runnning; I like being able to have a purpose on my runs, so running somewhere to take a photo and then running back would be perfect. So, the requirements are that it is protected from jostling, tight to my body so it doesn't bang around and not huge.
    Come to think of it, something that fits those requirements would be perfect for hiking, biking and climbing too!

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Running with a DSLR

Why not use a Sling bag.. The way they are made your camera equipment would be protected and on your back.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Wouldn't a small waist pack or backpack work?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

http://outside.away.com/outside/gear.../20090306.html

I have heard of "harness for binoculars" don't know if that would work. Check out the link above.

Ciao,
    Lou Cioccio

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I can tell you that binocular harnesses like the ones sold at Cabella's and Bass Pro Shops will not work, even with a separate strap to hold the camera/lens to your body. This is what I use for walking and it barely works for that. There is simply too much give in the shoulder straps and the combo moves up and down when walking fast, so it would be much worse when running. The only thing I've found that "might" work is the Cotton Carrier, which is expensive and I haven't tried it yet. Check out the videos on You Tube and see what you think. The problem is they are only sold online, so there is no chance to test before ordering.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jph91t3MozM
    Cheers, Dave

E-510 | 14-42 | 40-150 | 50-200 SWD| 70-300 (still Broken)| EC-14 | FL-36
    Toshiba Thrive (rooted) | Droid (rooted)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I picked up one of these at an army surplus store for $30 a few years ago: http://www.botachtactical.com/hydtsun100oz.html

It's lightweight and fits snugly against the body without being restrictive, and the top pocket is perfectly sized for any entry-level DSLR (currently I put my K-x in it) while the lower pocket is perfectly sized for any midsize DSLR (E-30 size and up). It also holds a hydration reservoir if you like that.

I've used it constantly for all the uses you mention (running, hiking, cycling, and climbing) and I tend to forget it's there. When running I tend to leave the rest of the pockets empty to reduce weight, but for hiking and cycling the unused pockets can hold a useful amount of other things (snacks, gear, extra layers). Ironically I've found it a lot more functional than most adventure-oriented camera bags I've played with.

I wouldn't be surprised if you can find a cheap one somewhere if you shop around. Its a pretty good value even at the price shown at that site (which was just the first thing that came up on google).

This is probably the closest camera-specific bag I'd be happy using: http://www.adorama.com/CEKCSPS.html. I do not, however, have any desire to shell out for it.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

You can try this site under chestpacks.Maybe you'll find something there for you.
    www.clikelitestore.com
    E-1,14-42,E-3,14-54 f2.8-3.5,50 f2,50-200 f2.8-3.5,EX-25,Sigma 135-400 f4-5.6,OM50 f1.4, fl36,fl50x2

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

What camera and lens are you going to carry when running? Would it fit in a fanny pack?

For hiking I carry my gear in a good backpack. Occasionally I jog with it on the flats or coming downhill. I have a well adjusted, torso-fitting backpack with a waist band cinch and cross-chest strap to keep the shoulder straps forward. A good pack rests on your hips, not your shoulders. To save my joints I bend my knees and try not to pound with every step.

I filled the bottom of the pack with a piece of carpeting for padding so I can set it down. Everything in the pack that's fragile, like lenses are in padded cases. I use a padded camera pouch, usually slung over my shoulder like a rucksak, but if I'm running or the terrain is rugged I put the padded pouch inside the pack.

For mountain biking I take the smaller Olympus C-8080. I use a padded trunk rack, a rectangular bag that I put a hard plastic box inside of. It's all hung from a cheap set of areo bars over the front suspension forks. The whole point is to reduce vibratiions on bumpy dirt fire roads.

Usually when I spill it's at low speeds and the front of the handlebars don't get slammed. I wouldn't put a hard camera in a backpack for mountain biking because if you do spill, you'll roll over it. You might get hurt as well as the camera.

Here in So Cal the mountains are steep so I get my exercise hiking or biking uphill. Added weight equalizes my pace with my wife and increases my workout when I hike.

Dave
    Dave in So Cal

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

As an avid runner and cyclist carrying a camera while running would intrude to much for the enjoyment I get while running......though I run 100% in wildlife refuges.

When it comes to cycling that's where I carry a camera, in a lowepro bag mounted at the base of the aero bars...

Usually I carry my trusty SP550 and on ocassion one of my C8080's. I always carry a rain bag for them Just.....in Case.

Ron

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

I recently ran a 5k with a GF1 in my hand and Skooba strap around my neck. Before the GF1, I considered getting a Kata Sensitivity bag(http://www.kata-bags.com/productFRM2...&Version=Photo) because it looks like it would allow you to move freely.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

when I run with my DSLR I just hold it in my hand.
    good for some bicep workout
    don't forget to switch hands though

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

http://cottoncarrier.com/video.html

I have the holister and I have used it when on my bike, works great but when I start shooting more adventure sports I will get the whole unit.