Thread: Adobe Camera Raw Processing and E-30

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Adobe Camera Raw Processing and E-30

My new E-30 arrives tomorrow, but I'm having a moment here because I realized that I'm running Adobe Photoshop CS3 with Camera Raw 4.6. The E-30 is not listed as compatible. It is listed as 5.3 and above.

Is anyone processing E-30 Raw files with CS3? I have this bad feeling that it isn't going to work for me. What about converting to DNG? I won't have time to test until Friday.

If anyone can tell me in advance, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Steve
    http://www.regionweddings.com
    Gear: E-30, E-510, Sigma 30mm - 1.4, Oly 50-200mm - 2.8/3.5, Oly 14-42mm 3.5/5.6, FL-36, Elinchrom Quadra, Elinchom D-Lite 400

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Adobe Camera Raw Processing and E-30

Dng is the way to go if you don't want to up grade. I've been converting my E500 orf files for quite some time. I've seen no compromise in image quality.

Adobe offers the free converter, so there is no reason not to at least experiment with adding it to your workflow.
    Glen Barrington
    Cheese Whiz

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

I'm up to date with ACR 5.6 but routinely convert to dng while downloading from the camera. It may be mistaken but I consider it future-proofing. The nice thing about Bridge is it converts on the fly and also saves the orfs to another directory so I have both bases covered.
    Bill Shinnick
    Pana GH1; 7-14; 14-140; 45; FL-36R.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

My E-620 has the same chip and processor (well, the same A/D converter when talking about the ORF files). I waffle between ACR 5.6 (free to download) and Olympus Master 2. With my old 410, ACR would produce severe banding for smooth colors (like a blue sky), even when properly exposed. OM2 would give a grainer image, but with more detail and less banding. Also, noise shows up in OM2 as grain, while ACR gives smudges.

The new 12MP chip doesn't have the same banding issues as the previous generation 10MP chips, but the noise issue is still the same. If I want detail in my shots, I use OM2. If want more options in the RAW conversion, I use ACR.

I think, however, that I'll soon go to a noise reduction plug-in with PS and use OM2 as the RAW converter to Tiff. From there, I can use all the adjustments that photoshop gives me.
    - Joe
    http://www.silversx80.smugmug.com
    E-M5 -- 12-50 -- 45 f/1.8 -- 17 f/2.8
    E-PL1 -- m.14-42mm -- m.40-150mm
    OM-10 -- Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 -- Zuiko 70-150mm f/4 -- Tamron 200mm f/3.5 -- Makinon 28mm f/2.8

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

I also convert to DNG on the fly when copying images off the card, though I process in the latest ACR in CS4.

You might think of spending the $200 to upgrade to CS5 when it comes out in a few weeks, if only to get the superior developing capability of the latest ACR engine. It is FAR superior to the 4.X version, both in tone control and capture sharpening, and I expect that 5.7 (which should be released with CS5) will have the improved noise reduction that LR3 has.

I have always been a big hater of the Oly software, and compared to the latest gen ACR it is utterly lacking in functionality. PLus with the latest ACR I can open the adjusted raw file as a smart object in PS and go back and forth to fine tune adjustments as needed.
    ODM
    ----------------
    Recent photos: http://www.ahfairley.com/gallery/index.html
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=fad9c02a1f
    E-10, E-M5, 20mm, PZ 14-42mm

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Welcome to my boat Steve. I picked up my E30 in December and have CS3 with the latest version, 4.6 of ACR installed.

Without upgrading to at least CS4 you will have to convert to DNG if you want to keep shooting raw. The converter is a free download so no complaints there. The converting of large numbers of images takes some time. Set it up do drop them in the directory of your choice and go do something else for awhile.

CS5 has just been officially announced so the CS4 packages will likely drop in price soon, at least I hope so. Another thought may be to look at Lightroom 2.X. Many people here rave about it's abilities and with version 3 comming it may also drop in price soon.

In case you couldn't tell, I'm a cheapskate.
    Good People Drink Good Beer - Hunter S. Thompson

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks everyone!! I currently do convert to DNG, but was unsure if this version of Bridge would do the conversion. So, with 4.6 U can convert on import without downloading a new version from Adobe? I hadn't even realized you could get a stand alone version.

I do plan on an upgrade to CS5 just not right off the bat. Good to know I won't be left hanging at the beginning.

Btw, I leave in about an hour to pick up the E30 from UPS!!

Steve

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Just got the E-30, fired off some test shots and tried importing via CS3 and converting to DNG. It transferred the ORF files, but said DNG conversion failed.

I assume I need to download the latest DNG converter from Adobe? will this now replace what i currently have as far as the converter, but keep me in ACR 4.6?

Just want to make sure I'm not going to screw anything up for future editing on my E-510.

Will make the jump to CS5 soon enough, but just want a workaround for now. Thanks for your help!!

Steve
    Gear: E-30, E-510, Sigma 30mm - 1.4, Oly 50-200mm - 2.8/3.5, Oly 14-42mm 3.5/5.6, FL-36, Elinchrom Quadra, Elinchom D-Lite 400

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Okay, got the DNG Converter Standalone 5.6 and all is good. I was just expecting it to take the place of the "photo downloader" in Bridge where I would usually convert my images.

@AbeakerZ - Obviously you can see I'm a cheapskate too!! I do think it's time for an upgrade to my Adobe Software. I'm fine with Bridge and are adept at Photoshop so I will probably skip Lightroom again. If I go with any photo manager, it may be Aperture because I love the easy book making software. It might be worth it just for that as I make books quite often.

Oh, time to crash but E-30 certainly feels nice in my hands, but I can tell I've got a bit of a learning curve ahead coming from the E-510. Can't wait for Friday - test day.

Steve

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

You'll get used to the 30 pretty quickly coming from the 510. That was my upgrade path as well. All the same functions are there, plus some, just some different button placements. Everyone has hollered about how bad the viewfinder info on the side of the finder was bad but I was used to it. I find myself not looking down to see my settings and borking shots because of it though. The other week I accidentally set the EV adjustment to +.3 and trashed highlights on a large series of shots without realizing it.

Funny thing is that I love Bridge for sorting and culling and ACR for raw development but I despise the way that Photoshop prides itself on hiding what you want to do behind arcane icons. I've been outputting to tiff from ACR and using PSP for final development for some time now. The whole digital asset management thing has me shying away from Lightroom myself. I've known for a long time how to structure my directories so I can find what I need when I need it. I don't need software to bloat my machine to do what I already do.
    Good People Drink Good Beer - Hunter S. Thompson

Howe o' the Mearns, Aberdeenshire,Scotland
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Stewart

The Mac version of Bridge which comes with Elements 8 for Mac includes the full blown latest version of Photoshop ACR.

Stewart

Thanks
    Feedback Score

removed post.
    Steve
    Gear: E-30, E-510, Sigma 30mm - 1.4, Oly 50-200mm - 2.8/3.5, Oly 14-42mm 3.5/5.6, FL-36, Elinchrom Quadra, Elinchom D-Lite 400[/quote]
    Denis de Gannes
    Camera Equip:
    E300, E510; ZD 9-18mm, 14-54mm, 35mm macro, 40-150mm & 70-300mm; Zuiko OM 50mm f1.4, 35-70mm f4, 200mm f4; Flash FL50.
    Panasonic G3 & 14-42mm; 45-150mm.
    Imaging Software:
    PaintShopPro x4; Photoshop E6; PS CS6; LightRoom 5.2RC; SilkyPix 4; Corel ASP 1.1.0.30; Capture 1 Express 7.1.3; QimageU; NoisewarePro; VueScan.
    Computer Equip: Win7 HP 64bit; 4GB Ram; Intel Core2 Quad CPU @ 2.66 Ghz; SSHD 500GB; HDD 320GB & 1TB.