Thread: Replacing LCD. How to take apart E-510?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Replacing LCD. How to take apart E-510?

I'm basically just looking for instructions on how to take apart an E-510 in order to replace the LCD. Tried googling it, but no luck. One of my buddies gave me a like-new E-510 with only 400 clicks for free. The only problem was the cracked and non-functioning LCD. (Camera is set in RAW too.) Found one LCD on eBay for $80, so if anyone knows how to replace LCDs or take this sucker apart, that would be awesome. Otherwise I'll try to get rid of it for a couples pennies or so to some poor soul who enjoys editing pictures all day.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Default Re: Replacing LCD. How to take apart E-510?

I would try Googling for Olympus IR conversion tutorials, they at least will have prictures of some of the cameras and the internal layout should be somewhat similar. Here's a tutorial on the forums, although for a E-410

http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=38298 I'm guessing that the screw locations will be somewhat similar.

Here's one for the E-300

http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=39151

Jen's E-1 conversion (picture links dead)

http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=39151

Here's one for an E-300

http://digital-photography.pl/index....y&sp1=E1E300IR

I would send Jens a PM and see if he has any tips, I would think it's mainly figuring out where all the screws that hold the back onto the chassis are located.
    ODM
    ----------------
    Recent photos: http://www.ahfairley.com/gallery/index.html
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=fad9c02a1f
    E-10, E-M5, 20mm, PZ 14-42mm

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

You might want to email Olympus repair, last I talked to them they said a 510 repair was a flat rate 115 bucks or something.. if that's the case you could get the complete camera fixed for a little more than the cost of the LCD you found on ebay and have it done right..
    OMD EM-1, m12-50MM, OLY 12-60MM, OLY 50MM macro, EC-14, Nikon D7200 and D7100, Nikon 300MM F4 PF Nikon 1.4X II Nikon 80-400MM AF-S- G, Sigma 150-600MM C, Sigma 17-50MM
    Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimusny/

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by brianb032 View Post
    I'm basically just looking for instructions on how to take apart an E-510 in order to replace the LCD. Tried googling it, but no luck. One of my buddies gave me a like-new E-510 with only 400 clicks for free. The only problem was the cracked and non-functioning LCD. (Camera is set in RAW too.) Found one LCD on eBay for $80, so if anyone knows how to replace LCDs or take this sucker apart, that would be awesome. Otherwise I'll try to get rid of it for a couples pennies or so to some poor soul who enjoys editing pictures all day.
    I've done this before, both on an E-410 and an E-510.

If you can wait a half a day, I'll see if I have any photos.
    It's not too difficult a job.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I appreciate the replies. Dnas, that would be great if you could get the pictures up. If not, 115 for a repair doesn't seem so bad either.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Here's all I have. And it's actually an E-410, but they are similar, and the LCD is the same in both.

I'll post some written instructions later, but here are the photos:

With LCD removed:

The LCD is attached to the back:

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Ok, here we are!!!

*** The References "left" and "right", are looking from the BACK of the E-510.

1. Remove the CF/xD card(s) and the battery. Make sure the CF button is in the "in" position, not sticking "out".

2. Remove the screw on the left side: (when you remove the screws, it's often best to get a clean sheet of A4 paper, with a sketch of the camera, placing the screws on the sketch so you know which screw is which. There are around 4 different types just getting the back off!!)

3. Remove 4 screws from the bottom:

4. Remove the three screws from the card compartment:

5. Remove the viewfinder rubber cover, and the 4 screws. Then remove the assembly:

6. Ease the back off. Start at the bottom near the battery compartment, and work your thumbnail along the bottom, and up the left side. By then the back should have "popped". Work the back off and to the right, so that it clears the CF button. The back is still attached to the rest of the camera so be careful!!! Remove the CF door.

7. Move the back up to the top to see the connector, where the back is attached.

The flexible PC board is folded and held in place by a piece of tape and a screw. Remove the tape gently with tweezers, and then the screw.

8. There are two types of connectors in this camera, which require different methods to "unlock" them:
    a. Flap type:

Gently use a very small flat screwdriver to lift it up.

Make a note of how far in the wires sit, then slide is out.

b. Locking bar type:

Slide it up, first one side then the other. When you do this, be very careful not to slip and damage the main circuit board.

Make a note of how far in the wires sit, then slide it out.

In this case, it's type (a.) that connects the back to the camera.

9. Once removed, it should look like this, with back/LCD disconnected:

The LCD is attached to the back:

From this point it is fairly straight forward.
    Get another sheet of A4, and place all of the parts on a sketch of the back. You will need to remove tape, including the yellow backing. The white wires at the bottom just connect left to right, but need to be removed from the old LCD.

Disconnect the wires, and pretty much all of the screws, most of which hold the buttons and LCD to the back.

Make sure that before you fit the new LCD, not to touch the inside of the clear plastic back of the camera. If you do, you'll see fingerprints on the inside, after you've reassembled the camera. And remember to remove the protective plastic over the new LCD.

10. Reassemble in reverse order. Make sure that the wires are correctly fitted back in their connectors (it might pay to practice this on the first disassembly, to get a feel for it)

11. Once you reconnect the back wires to the main part of the camera, insert a battery and turn on. The LCD should work, along with all of the buttons. Turn off, then insert a memory card carefully(if it's a CF the plastic housing is not there to guide it in, so be careful).
    Press the memory compartment "closed" switch (a tiny brown button just near the CF eject button)
    Turn it on and take a couple of photos. Make sure everything is ok.

12. Remove the battery & memory. Slide the Memory compartment cover into the back in its open position. Slide the back on from the right, over the CF eject button, and into position. Gently jiggle the back until it is in place and screw everything back together!!!!
    Last edited by dnas; 04-15-2010 at 07:05 PM.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

So did you end up fixing it yourself, or did you send it away for repair?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I followed your guide dnas.

But i get no backlight on lcd i bought from ebay (20$, can i have bought one without light? no? it was for a e-510 though)

The lcd is very dark, i can see everythig in the menu and stuff but if i adjust brightness nothing happens, doesnt get darker nor lighter.

Any clue what could be the problem? Which wire is backlight?

I took everything apart and re-did it but same again.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Any luck on this ./ ? how did u solve the issue of dull lighting ?

is it 'cause the LCD shipped didn't have backlighting ?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Had to check the connections a few times, but worked perfectly.

Thanks, dnas!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Great instructions, dnas... Anyone know how easy it is to replace the LCD on an E-P1? I have to find a new LCD first, but eventually I'll want to fix that thing.
    Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-PL2 PEN | Olympus E-PM1 PEN | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by dnas View Post
    Ok, here we are!!!
    ... Gently jiggle the back until it is in place and screw everything back together!!!!

Thanks for your great set of instructions! The only problem I had was finding the third screw - it was well hidden left of the XD picture card slot (pointing upwards).

Peter

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you so much for this thread. It gave me the confidence to open up my 5 year old E-510 and resolve the dirty power switch contacts problem (random switch on/offs). Everything was the same up to step 8a and then all I had to do was get the top off. This was tricky as there were 3 screws inside with the back off and 3 on the front, one of which is hidden behind the rubber handgrip! Also there are two inside the pop-up flash (so had to re-insert battery to pop it up!).
    The power switch PCB wasn't completely removable due to some soldered wires holding it down and I didn't want to disassemble any further, but was able to lift it away enough to get in and clean the power switch contact plates and contacts. Reassembled and all working fine. Well pleased.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks dnas for this very detailed and useful posting.
    I have to open my camera (E620) because of a problem with the XD card connector which does not lock anymore!
    Maybe, before I proceed with this, could you tell me, please, if this connector is easily detachable from the PC board to be replaced?
    Thanks a million for your help.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Hi,

Many thanks for the instructions in this thread, I've been able to replace the CF card cover on my e-450 and not worry about trashing my camera.

Gabriola Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

and a big thank-you from me...
    Just replaced the card cover door so didn't need to go beyond that stage in the very helpful instructions.

placed the camera in a shoebox during the process---those screws are tiny.

camera looks like new again---anyone want to buy it?

Bill