Thread: I am leaving! NOW BACK!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

Default I am leaving! NOW BACK!

For our vacation! We are leaving for a week in Bermuda tomorrow morning at 6am, landing in Bermuda at 3pm!!

We are heading south before I get up and leave home for 6 months in the High Arctic! I am taking my E3 (no grip), 5 batteries, 11-22, 50, 50-200, maybe one converter (EC14), my 5 batteries, charger, 10 memory cards, and a laptop to dump pictures. That being said, I don't want to spend the entire vacation behind the viewfinder She is bringing my old trusty Fuji P&S (A510) which is great for quick snaps, and has punchy colors.

I would just like to take this chance to thank everyone who has commented, given me compliments, criticism, to all (too much sometimes, I know) the pictures I post in the photo section. It has helped me with all aspects of photography, and sharing here really makes me love it even more than ever.

So, where, if applicable, are you going this year? And any general tips for Bermuda? Places to visit? I have been there once before as a youngin (8 yrs old), and have always wanted to revisit.

Cheers!!

A photo from last year's vacation in Gaspe, Quebec.

Charles

Canon cool aid, but soft spot for Oly :-D

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: I am leaving!

Have a safe journey!
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Enjoy My Friend!

Ron

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Have a great trip ... And I hope it is as exciting and photographically wonderful as it sounds like it will be.
    New E-5, E-30 & E-510 ... with 12-60 and 70-300 lenses.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Dear Charles,

You suck. I hate you. I hope it rains every day.

Just kidding, have a safe trip & come back with lotsa great pics for those of us not in Bermuda!

YF,
    m
    Canon bodies. L, OM, and Zeiss glass.

Lower 48 in my 5th wheel during the winter and SE Alaska in the summer
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Make the side trip to St George, wonderful little village, I like it much better than Hamilton.

It is or was the first settlement in Bermuda and is very historical and the harbor is beautiful. Faces kind of North and I have sailed in and out of there several times. I actually lived on a sailboat there for a month or so...

The old square downtown has some nice pubs and restaurants around it as well as some good shopping.

My favorite part of Bermuda!

Have a great trip and the colorful buildings will be good for your OLY!!

Jim

Oh and BTW - Have a great trip and make sure you take plenty of pictures and stay in touch if you can while you are in the cold country!!
    Last edited by wigpro; 04-27-2010 at 07:48 AM.
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

E-5, E-30, E-500, - Oly 150 F-2, Oly 9-18, 50 Macro, 40-150, 50-200 non-SWD, Oly 70-300, and 14-54, EC-14, EC-20, FL-36R, Bower SFD9260 TTL Flash, Cokin Pro Z Filter System, Oh, and more than likely, more on the way!!!

Photo Book - Click Here
    SmugMug Pics - Click Here
    Personal Website - Click Here

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

Thanks guys! This will be my last message until I get back. Jim, we plan on doing the entire Island via moped. Probably more than once!!!!

Michelle, you're too funny. I'll take a picture of a hawk or something, whatever the wildlife down there is!

Brian, thanks. We'll have to chat one day, sharing our photo spots or something!
    Charles

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Have fun!! Stay safe!!
    Constructive criticism is always welcomed. I am here to learn. Just don't piss me off.

Toni

Check out my flickr

E-5, E-520, ZD 50-200, ZD14-54, ZD 50mm macro, ZD14-42 & ZD40-150 lens, EC-14,EC-20, FL-50r flash, Flashpoint F-1228 Carbon Fiber Tripod <---piece of crap, Giottos MH1302-655 ball head, Vanguard SBH-200 Ball Head Canon Monopod, Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch Tablet, Wacom Intuos 4 Pen Tablet

Kalispell Montana, mere minutes from Glacier Park
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lowa2 View Post
    whatever the wildlife down there is!
    I think the wildlife down there is likely to be sporting a dark tan and a thong

When you grab your suitcase in the morning it will be a little heavier, crack the zipper so I can breathe

Have a great time buddy
    Last edited by Jim Flinchbaugh; 04-27-2010 at 09:19 AM.
    If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads,
    you're doing something wrong." óJohn Gierach

Jim
    Visit me at:

www.hillbilly-photo.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Low down A2, last year about the same period I made a similar post.

Wish you enjoy your trip and make a lot of beautiful photos, don't forget to post it here after return.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mco_970 View Post
    Dear Charles,

YF,
    m
    WOW, you are bad Michelle (also kidding)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

Thanks everyone!!!!!!! I will post when I get back!! Plane leaves in 1hr30 minutes!!!!! Have a great week!!!
    Charles

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

I am envious. Have a nice trip.

For myself, I am going to London for an extended weekend at the end of May. And in the Autumn, I will travel around Germany for nearly three weeks.
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Thanks guys! This will be my last message until I get back. Jim, we plan on doing the entire Island via moped.
    OH NO not the mopeds - more tourists are injured on the mopeds than anything else, be careful the roads are narrow, they drive on the wrong side of the street and there are a ton of curves and it seems that accidents happen often.

You have to have a special permit to get a car on the island, they only allow so many cars at any one time, the allotment has been full for years, now you have to wait until a car or person dies to get a permit for any additional cars...as it is, the traffic is bad, so by all means be very careful!!

Have a great trip - find some pink sand and take a picture of that, the rocks and cliffs at some of the beaches are spectacular.

Bermuda is one of my favorite islands...need to go back there soon.

Jim
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

E-5, E-30, E-500, - Oly 150 F-2, Oly 9-18, 50 Macro, 40-150, 50-200 non-SWD, Oly 70-300, and 14-54, EC-14, EC-20, FL-36R, Bower SFD9260 TTL Flash, Cokin Pro Z Filter System, Oh, and more than likely, more on the way!!!

Photo Book - Click Here

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Flinchbaugh View Post
    I thing the wildlife down there is likely to be sporting a dark than and a thong
    That will be Charles!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Flinchbaugh View Post
    When you grab your suitcase in the morning it will be a little heavier, crack the zipper so I can breathe

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

You forgot the hurricane !

Quote Originally Posted by mco_970 View Post
    Dear Charles,

YF,
    m
    Just kidding, have a great trip (plenty of us here jealous about BOTH of your upcoming trips, I'm sure !)

Jeff

Thanks
    Feedback Score

... Brian, thanks. We'll have to chat one day, sharing our photo spots or something! ...
    Sounds good.
    New E-5, E-30 & E-510 ... with 12-60 and 70-300 lenses.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

Well, I'm back, and browner than ever! We had great weather for the entire week. The weather there is very deceiving, since there is always a little breeze. It was about 25C all week, with a 10-20km/h wind. The wind makes it feel a little bit chilly, but it sure isn't! I tanned a lot, and burnt just a bit. ( no speedo M, LOL!!!)

We had an amazing week. We went snorkeling on the coral reefs, did all the touristy things, ate at fancy restaurants, went on boats and buses (no mopeds, the people there are NUTS!!!!!), and spent some time at the beach. I have never taken so many ferry rides. It was truly a great & relaxing time. It was more expensive than I imagined, but it was expected since the Island is considered "rich". The way to travel (safely) to me is the bus system. The transportation pass is cheap, and the system is very nice. The people there do not beg for money, or force you to buy things, it was great!!!!! We spent most of our time at the dockyard and Hamilton, but did a complete tour of the Island on bus.

I would definitely go back!!!!! Now to process my pictures, I took quite a bit, but could have easily taken more. I wanted to concentrate on relaxing, instead of stressing my girlfriend out with endless clicks. I am glad I did. I really liked the Bermuda Long Tail, what an amazing animal, and I think I got some really good shots of them!!!!!
    Charles

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Glad to know you were back and not lost in Bermuda
    Hurry up man, we want to see the photos.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Oh man, no thong pictures? WT...!

Glad you are back, looking forward to seeing your takes on the tropics.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Well, I'm back, and browner than ever! We had great weather for the entire week. The weather there is very deceiving, since there is always a little breeze. It was about 25C all week, with a 10-20km/h wind. The wind makes it feel a little bit chilly, but it sure isn't! I tanned a lot, and burnt just a bit. ( no speedo M, LOL!!!)

We had an amazing week. We went snorkeling on the coral reefs, did all the touristy things, ate at fancy restaurants, went on boats and buses (no mopeds, the people there are NUTS!!!!!), and spent some time at the beach. I have never taken so many ferry rides. It was truly a great & relaxing time. It was more expensive than I imagined, but it was expected since the Island is considered "rich". The way to travel (safely) to me is the bus system. The transportation pass is cheap, and the system is very nice. The people there do not beg for money, or force you to buy things, it was great!!!!! We spent most of our time at the dockyard and Hamilton, but did a complete tour of the Island on bus.

I would definitely go back!!!!! Now to process my pictures, I took quite a bit, but could have easily taken more. I wanted to concentrate on relaxing, instead of stressing my girlfriend out with endless clicks. I am glad I did. I really liked the Bermuda Long Tail, what an amazing animal, and I think I got some really good shots of them!!!!!

Well I am glad you decided against the Mopeds, I have known a ton of people have been hurt really bad on those things over there. They drive crazy on very narrow streets and there are just too many vehicles!!

Can't wait to see some pictures...

Jim

Photo Book - Click Here

Kalispell Montana, mere minutes from Glacier Park
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Welcome back!
    Anxiously awaiting some photos
    If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads,
    you're doing something wrong." óJohn Gierach

Jim
    Visit me at:

www.hillbilly-photo.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wigpro View Post
    Well I am glad you decided against the Mopeds, I have known a ton of people have been hurt really bad on those things over there. They drive crazy on very narrow streets and there are just too many vehicles!!

Can't wait to see some pictures...

Jim
    Yeah Jim, to tell you the truth, your earlier comments (prior to me leaving) got me concerned. It didn't take more than 5-10 minutes when we got there for us to decide against the mopeds. The transportation pass was the way to go. Thanks for the advice, could have saved my life!

JimF, thanks Buddy. I "though" I didn't take many pictures, turns out I now how to sort through 3000 pictures I took 2500, girlfriend took 500 on her P&S There were 3 out of 7 days that I didn't even take the E3 out of the hotel safe!!!
    Charles

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Default Re: I am leaving! NOW BACK!

Charles,
    As other said, "welcome back." Glad you had a great time.
    Gee, I would have thought 24 hours would have been plenty of time to PP only 3,000 pics.
    Kidding of course about the pp!
    Denny T
    E-410, E-510, 35 Macro, 50 f-2, 14-42 3.5-5.6, 14-54 2.8-3.5, 18-180 3.5-6.3, 40-150 4.0-5.6, 50-200 Non swd 2.8-3.5, 70-300 4.0-5.6, EC-14, FL-36R

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

Default Re: I am leaving! NOW BACK!

Thanks Denny! Appreciate the welcome. This place has been lots better than my job at welcoming me back, yesterday (first day back at work), they rewarded me with a lovely 15 hour shift!
    Charles