Thread: Perserverance Pays Off!! 510 Volt Battery Available!

Lower 48 in my 5th wheel during the winter and SE Alaska in the summer
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Default Perserverance Pays Off!! 510 Volt Battery Available!

Back in my old wedding shooting days I was a loyal shooter using the Honeywell 882 Auto-Strobonar. This strobe utilizes a remote automatic "eye" to guage the exposure correctly and cut the strobe off at the precise moment when the light has been sufficient for a correct exposure.

The strobe was made in several versions, some utilized a high voltage "C-Pack" which actually fit in a tray in the back of the head of the strobe, while the larger versions utilized a 510 volt Eveready 497 battery pack which conveniently could be attached to your belt or just hung over your shoulder. It offered amazing recycle times of 2 seconds or so and the durability to last for several months. And plenty of flashes for a typical wedding several times over, especially back in the days when you were shooting film and counting your shots!

The advantage of the shoe mounted remote eye was that this was placed right above the lens and had no bearing on the positioning of the strobe, so you could very easily hold the strobe away from the camera, indirect flash towards the ceiling or out to the side and the sensor would read the light returning to the lens and adjust the light output accordingly.

In fact - Honeywell Pentax actually built a 35mm camera with the sensor built in the camera.

Anyway - I ramble. I decided to purchase one of these beasts from Ebay and have now actually purchased 2. I have an AC adapter and could easily use it "in studio", but still wanted the ability to shoot off site, so I went on a search for the Eveready 497 battery, which is no longer made, at least so I have been told. Today I got an email from Batteries Plus and there is a part number for this battery, it is special order and they gave me a part number, so I am off this morning to the local battery plus store to make arrangements to order one of these things.

So if anyone else is looking for a replacement 510 volt battery the part number at Batteries Plus is: HOUBAT497!

Thanks

Jim

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

E-5, E-30, E-500, - Oly 150 F-2, Oly 9-18, 50 Macro, 40-150, 50-200 non-SWD, Oly 70-300, and 14-54, EC-14, EC-20, FL-36R, Bower SFD9260 TTL Flash, Cokin Pro Z Filter System, Oh, and more than likely, more on the way!!!

Photo Book - Click Here
    SmugMug Pics - Click Here
    Personal Website - Click Here

2. The Following User Says Thank You to wigpro For This Useful Post:

BobT (11-03-2016)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: Perserverance Pays Off!! 510 Volt Battery Available!

510 volts DC??? No wonder they don't make them anymore! Stupid people could get hurt, and they don't want the liability-LOL.
    E-30 with grip, Digilux 3, L1-14-50,70-300,9-18,50 f2, Bigma, 25 2.8, ec14, FL50r, 285HV
    Film: Mamya c330, Yashicamat 124G, Minolta SRT102, Minolta 570, 24,50,100,300 rokkor lenses,600mm f8 - 32 Hanimex, Slik, Ries, and Manifrotto tripods, Wimberly gimbal, and a bunch of stuff.

Lower 48 in my 5th wheel during the winter and SE Alaska in the summer
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by oddmanout View Post
    510 volts DC??? No wonder they don't make them anymore! Stupid people could get hurt, and they don't want the liability-LOL.

I comes with a big warning label!! I should have one in a few days, maybe a week!!

Jim
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

E-5, E-30, E-500, - Oly 150 F-2, Oly 9-18, 50 Macro, 40-150, 50-200 non-SWD, Oly 70-300, and 14-54, EC-14, EC-20, FL-36R, Bower SFD9260 TTL Flash, Cokin Pro Z Filter System, Oh, and more than likely, more on the way!!!

Photo Book - Click Here
    SmugMug Pics - Click Here
    Personal Website - Click Here

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Cheez! That brings back memories. I had the capacitor in my Strobonar blow up when I was holding it off to the right. No injury but a real heart stopper. You are right about the life of the batteries. Remember the Matador stobe? You could shoot a full day with one battery.

JoJo

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I just purchased a Heiland Strobonar V and it looks like I can find a battery, but the manual says that the capacitor will need to be "reformed." It says to use an AC power converter. I have not been able to figure out what exactly I am looking for. Can you advise?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by OystrPir8 View Post
    I just purchased a Heiland Strobonar V and it looks like I can find a battery, but the manual says that the capacitor will need to be "reformed." It says to use an AC power converter. I have not been able to figure out what exactly I am looking for. Can you advise?

Doing an internet search of your question, I found some discussion on this subject in several sites:

Here is a sample quote:
    "..As I understand it refers to electrolytic capacitors. In this type of capacitor the resistive layer is a gas. When left for long periods of time the some of the gas recombines with the electrolyte liquid.
    Reforming is accomplished by charging and discharging several times. The voltage applied and causes the electrolyte too form gas thus "Reforming"
    the capacitor...."

Steven R
    Tampa, Florida

E-330, E-520, E-3

Thanks
    Feedback Score

510V DC? Wow! Not the sort of battery one would want test with the tongue.
    E-M1, 12-40mm PRO, 60mm macro, MMF-3
    E-450, 50-200mm SWD, 25mm f2.8, EC-14
    FL-50R