Thread: Beauty and her burden

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Beauty and her burden

School children, even small ones, have to carry enormous heavy bags each day.

I curse myself for being at f/6.7 when I should have been wide open. I don't know, though, if that would really have made the background less distracting.
    Last edited by payasam; 05-12-2010 at 05:29 AM. Reason: typo
    Mukul Dube E-3, ZD 14-54, ZD 35, ZD 25, ZD 18-180, FL-36, ME-1, Bower SFD 926o; Sony A7 with kit zoom and 24, 35, 50, 55, 85 and 105 manual Nikkors Flickr

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Default Re: Beaty and her burden

I do not think the background is distracting. It adds to the picture by giving more location information. It is another interesting picture of India, as all of yours are.

halfwright

Kalispell Montana, mere minutes from Glacier Park
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

I agree that the background adds to the composition. The young lady has the look of being pleased with the attention she is getting form the crowd and the photographer, but yet, isn't overly interested in anyone.
    If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads,
    you're doing something wrong." óJohn Gierach

Jim
    Visit me at:

www.hillbilly-photo.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you, halfwright and Jim. The child turned to face me when I took my camera out of its bag. I asked her to turn to one side and fired before she had turned into frozen reinforced concrete, a common event in such situations.
    Mukul Dube E-3, ZD 14-54, ZD 35, ZD 25, ZD 18-180, FL-36, ME-1, Bower SFD 926o; Sony A7 with kit zoom and 24, 35, 50, 55, 85 and 105 manual Nikkors Flickr

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Hello payasam, I think the background is soft enough. Sometimes, you got get , what you can. My eye goes to the subject. Again, love your images from India.
    Ken
    E-1 ,C5060 C4000, , SP500, SP570, SZ-12, ,Lots of misc flashes and studio stuff (Gowland 4x5, Hassy)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

I love to see your images of India, too, Payasam.
    Canon bodies. L, OM, and Zeiss glass.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Beauty and her burden

Thank you, Ken. Thank you, mco_970, for taking time away from the unending battles.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

The only time a wide open lens is crucial in a documentary photo is when it's the only way of seperating the motive from the background. In this photo, the differences in light, and more crucially the layout of the composition, makes the need for shallow depth of field very irrelevant. And that's a lot harder than simply blowing away the background with a wide open lens.

Not to mention the background adds to the picture, giving it an atmosphere.

You know what I think of your work, so I won't bother to say what I think about this photo. You know what I mean.

Cheers,
    Simon
    Olympus E-3 Olympus E400, Oly 14-54, Oly 50-200, PanaLeica 25, 25 Pancake, Oly 14-42, FL-36, FL-50R, Metz AF44, softbox and diffusers, OM-2, OM 28/2, OM 50/1.8, OM 100/2, Vivitar 285, Velbon VEB-3 Tripod
    If your photos aren't good enough - you're not close enough (Robert Capa, who stepped on a landmine and died getting close enough)
    Freelance photographer/journalist and columnist.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you, Simon. Over 45 years ago one of my informal teachers would say, "Isolate, isolate." That is what I did, and it is usually still my aim. It was fairly late in life that I began to see the advantages of showing the surroundings, the environment of the principal subject of a photograph. With respect to individual pictures, I can seldom decide what is best -- so I let others decide for me.