Thread: FL-50R Wireless Questions

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default FL-50R Wireless Questions

I know I would be able to control the FL-50R via my E-30 line of site. However, if I want to hook up a radio transmitter (elinchrom, pocket wizard, etc.), can I do this? Is there a sync input?

I would like to pick up this flash and attach a mini softbox like an Apollo to it and I'm afraid the RC will not work like this and I'll need a radio transmitter to fire it.

Thanks,
    Steve
    http://www.regionweddings.com
    Gear: E-30, E-510, Sigma 30mm - 1.4, Oly 50-200mm - 2.8/3.5, Oly 14-42mm 3.5/5.6, FL-36, Elinchrom Quadra, Elinchom D-Lite 400

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Default Re: FL-50R Wireless Questions

I have a Fl-50 which I run off a sync cord and attach my cactus trigger to my E-3 via the PC port to fire a Vivatar 285 everything works fine.

Your E-30 has a PC port give it a try should work.

Your radio trigger flash will not be TTL controlled.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks. I have quite the lighting set up with the Quadra, but for quick stuff I want the Fl-50. I imagine I will run it TTL via the camera, but on occasion I may want to stick into a light modifier and was concerned that it would not work then without a radio trigger.

Thanks. I think I'm going to retire my FL-36 after I get this one. Although, it had been a great flash for events and has certainly done a nice job.

Steve

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by flatmacsurf View Post
    Thanks. I have quite the lighting set up with the Quadra, but for quick stuff I want the Fl-50. I imagine I will run it TTL via the camera, but on occasion I may want to stick into a light modifier and was concerned that it would not work then without a radio trigger.

Thanks. I think I'm going to retire my FL-36 after I get this one. Although, it had been a great flash for events and has certainly done a nice job.

Steve
    Steve,

here is a link to someone that uses a softbox for the flash. As you can see from the picture, the flash is fully exposed, thus there should be no problem triggering it from your camera using the Olympus remote system:

http://neilvn.com/tangents/2008/11/1...h-speedlights/

Ottmar
    E-30, 7-14, 14-35, 35-100, 50-200, 50mm f2, EC-14, mecablitz 58AF-1, Feisol CT-3342 tripod, Photo Clam PC-48NS ball head

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Ottmar,
    I never knew such a thing existed. Thanks for the link!!

Steve

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

There's always speedrings to mount softboxes to flash. You can usually get away with using the built-in optical sensor (whether via TTL with your camera's RC, or optical slave from another flash) since the flash head on Oly FL-R model flashes will swivel 180 degrees to put the sensor on the back (depending on your mounting setup, of course!).

Also, if you're in a studio the light is very well contained so any flash will generally be able to trigger an optical sensor even through material. Just mount a flash bracket with short TTL or Sync cable to your camera, and the rest of your lights in the studio can all slave off that.

Pocket Wizards are really expensive (in my area, looking at $200 for a transmitter than $200 a receiver for EACH flash you use... a minimum investment of $600-$1000 for my setups), and the cheap Chinese radio triggers are really cheaply built (I have a pile of about 4 or 6 broken Yongnuo receivers in a bag in my studio and not a single working one left... and those were the most reliable triggers I'd found).
    The most reliable yet affordable system to fire your strobes or flashes will always be PC Sync cable. With a triple-sync you can fire up to 3 at a time. With two triple syncs (one on your camera's PC jack and one on a hotshoe adapter), you could fire up to 6 at a time... but that's an excessive mess of wires, and I wouldn't go there. As a minimum with most setups you only really need to trigger one flash through your camera. The rest can be slaves.
    Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-PL2 PEN | Olympus E-PM1 PEN | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca