Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Finally! Panasonic DMC-L1 Service Menu (including actuation count :)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    220
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

    Default Finally! Panasonic DMC-L1 Service Menu (including actuation count :)

    So after much research on the web, I came across some interesting info concerning the service menu on the Leica Digilux 4... after applying the methods used to my Lumix DMC-L1, I've made my way into the service menu... if this has been covered already, I apologize as I couldn't find it.

    Use at your own risk, as you could turn your camera into an expensive brick... let me know if it works for everyone!

    Service Mode may allow you to do some kinds of operations which are normally not available in the camera's menu:

    (1) Reset the camera to unboxing settings. (Not only to the factory default settings)
    (2) Reset the firmware region for supporting more languages, if applicable.
    (3) Check camera usage information.

    YOU MAY WANT TO CONNECT TO AC POWER BEFOREHAND, I HAVEN'T HAD THE PRIVILEGE OF MY BATTERY DYING DURING THE PROCESS!

    1. Turn off the camera.
    2. Set the shutter speed dial to the 8 position.
    4. Press and hold the AFL/AEL button.
    5. While holding the AFL/AEL button turn on the camera.

    You are now temporarily in the Service Mode. You can confirm your status by checking the CUSTOM menu. There is one more option named "SENSOR CLEAN" there, under the "NO RELEASE WITHOUT LENS" option.

    The camera may return from this mode to the normal mode by turning the power off and on again. After the power cycling operation, the extra "SENSOR CLEAN" option will no longer be available in the CUSTOM menu.

    So what can you do once you are in this temporary Service Mode?

    You can check your firmware by pressing [Play], then pressing the [FUNC.2] and [DOWN ARROW] simultaneously .

    Anything else interesting under the Service Mode?

    Yes, you may check the usage information of your camera. At first, make sure you are in the Service Mode, then follow the steps below to see the secret of your camera.

    1. Press and hold the [FUNC.2] button, then MENU/SET and ◀ (Left arrow) buttons together. The camera now shows a screen of zeros on a white background. If you press the DISPLAY button, the camera will cycle through three different content showing some kind of parameter codes in decimal or hexadecimal form. The arrow buttons can be used here to scroll through the code arrays.

    (Guy Parsons, a Sydney based LX3 owner, considered the first "Zero" screen as an Error Code Log used for Panasonic service persons, and the explanation should be in their Service Manual. He also revealed some of the counters below.)

    2. Again, press and hold the [FUNC.2] button, then MENU/SET and ◀ (Left arrow) buttons together. The camera will show its usage information in two pages. Press the DISPLAY button to switch between the pages.


    The camera information is interpreted below:

    VER 2.10:0210 -> Firmware version is 2.20.
    NO.: F35XXXXXXXXXX -> A 12-digit number with a "F" prefix. (Motherboard serial number?)
    PWRCNT: 834 -> Power On Count, the number of times camera turned on.
    SHTCNT: 5873 -> Shutter Count, the number of times shutter fired.
    STBCNT: 80 -> Strobe Count, the number of times flash fired.

    1ST.: 2010.4.17 2:34 -> Date and time of first clock set.
    A: 2010.4.18 8:47 -> Date and time of last two clock sets.
    B: 2010.4.18 8:39 -> (See above)
    ClockSet Cnt: 3 -> Clock Set Count, the number of times camera clock changed.
    UnderCut Cnt: 0 -> Under-Cut Count.
    RTC Read Err: 0 -> Real-time clock read error count, the number of read errors of RTC.

    3. Press the same button combination again, the camera will return to the normal display.

    Also noted is the process to be rid of the yellow triangle with an exclamation mark inside that appears when you turn off the camera. According to Wiórek, the yellow triangle appears when the firmware is not set to any of specific regional models. Some of us have gotten this after upgrading to particular firmware, and of course they don't have any answers at panasonic support. Contact me for details!
    E-M1 w/HLD-7 I E-30 w/HLD-4 I DMC-L1 I 25 f1.4 I 14-35 f2 I 14-50 f2.8-3.5 I 35-100 f2
    50-200 f2.8-3.5 SWD
    I Vivitar 55mm 2.8 Macro I Vivitar Series 1 90mm f/2.8 "Bokina"

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,240
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 61 Times in 43 Posts
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

    Default Re: Finally! Panasonic DMC-L1 Service Menu (including actuation count :)

    Very interesting! It had to be there somewhere. :-)

    I doubt I'll try it, though, as my camera is working flawlessly and I don't want to risk anything.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    220
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

    Default Re: Finally! Panasonic DMC-L1 Service Menu (including actuation count :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Very interesting! It had to be there somewhere. :-)

    I doubt I'll try it, though, as my camera is working flawlessly and I don't want to risk anything.
    Understandable, I only went through it myself to get rid of the annoying yellow triangle. Panasonic really should take that last firmware update down from the website, if it's going to leave you stranded in service mode. In fact, it's not even listed on Olympus Japan website, just the North America site.
    E-M1 w/HLD-7 I E-30 w/HLD-4 I DMC-L1 I 25 f1.4 I 14-35 f2 I 14-50 f2.8-3.5 I 35-100 f2
    50-200 f2.8-3.5 SWD
    I Vivitar 55mm 2.8 Macro I Vivitar Series 1 90mm f/2.8 "Bokina"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,240
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 61 Times in 43 Posts
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

    Default Re: Finally! Panasonic DMC-L1 Service Menu (including actuation count :)

    Quote Originally Posted by s4ean View Post
    Understandable, I only went through it myself to get rid of the annoying yellow triangle. Panasonic really should take that last firmware update down from the website, if it's going to leave you stranded in service mode. In fact, it's not even listed on Olympus Japan website, just the North America site.
    Which update is that? And "Olympus Japan" ... for a Panasonic firmware update? I'm confused.

    The last L1 update released by Panasonic was

    DMC-L1 - Ver.2.1 - 2008/10/15
    http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...fts/dl/l1.html

    It's what I've been running since then and has never been any trouble at all.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    220
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

    Default Re: Finally! Panasonic DMC-L1 Service Menu (including actuation count :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Which update is that? And "Olympus Japan" ... for a Panasonic firmware update? I'm confused.

    The last L1 update released by Panasonic was

    DMC-L1 - Ver.2.1 - 2008/10/15
    http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...fts/dl/l1.html

    It's what I've been running since then and has never been any trouble at all.
    My mistake, I meant Panasonic, and the update you've listed is on the Panasonic Global site, however listed on the Panasonic USA site:

    http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...l.DMC-L1K.D#ts

    As you can see, not only is the 2.1 update not available, but there's another 1.1 Update for the 14-50 f2.8-3.5 lens... after updating, it did upgrade the lens firmware from 1006 to 110A, however, from what I can tell, it leaves the camera in service mode, giving the yellow triangle I described before. I simply had the good luck of upgrading from the USA site first, before the global site. When I called Panasonic support, the technician appeared to be looking at the USA site as well.

    Basically, I'd stay away from the USA site, and the 1.1 lens update all together, haven't seen any improvement nor does it seem necessary.

    *I now have a DMC-L1, Body firmware: 2.1, and Lens firmware: 1.0.110A (instead of 1.0.1006).* In fact, the 1.1 lens update still doesn't upgrade the lens to 1.1... still 1.0, but the last digits change... I think there's a reason they left this update off the global site.
    E-M1 w/HLD-7 I E-30 w/HLD-4 I DMC-L1 I 25 f1.4 I 14-35 f2 I 14-50 f2.8-3.5 I 35-100 f2
    50-200 f2.8-3.5 SWD
    I Vivitar 55mm 2.8 Macro I Vivitar Series 1 90mm f/2.8 "Bokina"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default Re: Finally! Panasonic DMC-L1 Service Menu (including actuation count :)

    FYI, here is a copy of L1's service manual. It does not mention actuation count through. http://s91007179.onlinehome.us/stora...ice_manual.pdf

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    220
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

    Default Re: Finally! Panasonic DMC-L1 Service Menu (including actuation count :)

    Quote Originally Posted by blackschiele View Post
    FYI, here is a copy of L1's service manual. It does not mention actuation count through. http://s91007179.onlinehome.us/stora...ice_manual.pdf

    Thanks, great find! Actually, section nine covers the same procedure to get to the actuation count.

    *Section: 9 ERROR CODE MEMORY FUNCTION
    2. How to display
    The error code can be displayed by the following procedure: Before perform the error code memory function, connect the AC adaptor or insert the battery, and insert the SD card.
    ·01. The temporary cancellation of factory setting: Set the shutter speed dial to “8 ”. While pressing [AFL/AEL] , then turn the Power on.
    ·02. The display of error code:
    Press [FUNC.2], [MENU/SET] and “[left] of Cursor key” simultaneously with the step 1 condition. The display is changed as shown below when the above buttons is pressed simultaneously. Normal display -> Error code display -> Operation history display -> Normal display -> .....

    Now what it doesn't tell you or cover is the "Operation history display"... it merely tells you it's there... that's where you'll find the actuation count, etc.
    E-M1 w/HLD-7 I E-30 w/HLD-4 I DMC-L1 I 25 f1.4 I 14-35 f2 I 14-50 f2.8-3.5 I 35-100 f2
    50-200 f2.8-3.5 SWD
    I Vivitar 55mm 2.8 Macro I Vivitar Series 1 90mm f/2.8 "Bokina"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default Re: Finally! Panasonic DMC-L1 Service Menu (including actuation count :)

    Quote Originally Posted by s4ean View Post
    Thanks, great find! Actually, section nine covers the same procedure to get to the actuation count.

    *Section: 9 ERROR CODE MEMORY FUNCTION
    2. How to display
    The error code can be displayed by the following procedure: Before perform the error code memory function, connect the AC adaptor or insert the battery, and insert the SD card.
    ·01. The temporary cancellation of factory setting: Set the shutter speed dial to “8 ”. While pressing [AFL/AEL] , then turn the Power on.
    ·02. The display of error code:
    Press [FUNC.2], [MENU/SET] and “[left] of Cursor key” simultaneously with the step 1 condition. The display is changed as shown below when the above buttons is pressed simultaneously. Normal display -> Error code display -> Operation history display -> Normal display -> .....

    Now what it doesn't tell you or cover is the "Operation history display"... it merely tells you it's there... that's where you'll find the actuation count, etc.
    Fantastic! It works! I played with the service mode before but never came across the actuation page. Thank you!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,240
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 61 Times in 43 Posts
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

    Default Re: Finally! Panasonic DMC-L1 Service Menu (including actuation count :)

    Quote Originally Posted by s4ean View Post
    My mistake, I meant Panasonic, and the update you've listed is on the Panasonic Global site, however listed on the Panasonic USA site:

    http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...l.DMC-L1K.D#ts

    As you can see, not only is the 2.1 update not available, but there's another 1.1 Update for the 14-50 f2.8-3.5 lens... after updating, it did upgrade the lens firmware from 1006 to 110A, however, from what I can tell, it leaves the camera in service mode, giving the yellow triangle I described before. I simply had the good luck of upgrading from the USA site first, before the global site. When I called Panasonic support, the technician appeared to be looking at the USA site as well.

    Basically, I'd stay away from the USA site, and the 1.1 lens update all together, haven't seen any improvement nor does it seem necessary.

    *I now have a DMC-L1, Body firmware: 2.1, and Lens firmware: 1.0.110A (instead of 1.0.1006).* In fact, the 1.1 lens update still doesn't upgrade the lens to 1.1... still 1.0, but the last digits change... I think there's a reason they left this update off the global site.
    Ah, I remember seeing that lens FW upgrade once upon a time. I installed it, it didn't make any difference that I can tell. Didn't leave me in any strange mode either that I recall. I always go to the global website for downloads and such.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default Re: Finally! Panasonic DMC-L1 Service Menu (including actuation count :)

    Hi s4ean, after playing with the service mode now I have the yellow triangle every time I turn off the camera... could you please explain me how to solve this? Thanks in advance!

    Quote Originally Posted by s4ean View Post
    Also noted is the process to be rid of the yellow triangle with an exclamation mark inside that appears when you turn off the camera. According to Wiórek, the yellow triangle appears when the firmware is not set to any of specific regional models. Some of us have gotten this after upgrading to particular firmware, and of course they don't have any answers at panasonic support. Contact me for details!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    220
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

    Default Re: Finally! Panasonic DMC-L1 Service Menu (including actuation count :)

    Quote Originally Posted by jmanero View Post
    Hi s4ean, after playing with the service mode now I have the yellow triangle every time I turn off the camera... could you please explain me how to solve this? Thanks in advance!

    If you download the service manual here: http://s91007179.onlinehome.us/stora...ice_manual.pdf

    Follow sections 1.1-1.2.2, from Introduction to Initial Settings... it should be pages 2-4, after doing that your problem should be solved. I figured it'd be easier to follow than my own directions.
    E-M1 w/HLD-7 I E-30 w/HLD-4 I DMC-L1 I 25 f1.4 I 14-35 f2 I 14-50 f2.8-3.5 I 35-100 f2
    50-200 f2.8-3.5 SWD
    I Vivitar 55mm 2.8 Macro I Vivitar Series 1 90mm f/2.8 "Bokina"

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •