Thread: Creaking HLD-4 battery grip on E3

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Creaking HLD-4 battery grip on E3

I've had the HLD-4 battery grip for a few months now on my E3 and I've noticed some creaking. At first it was solid, but now after a few months of use, it's starting to creak. Even if I tighten it all the way down, it still creaks and if I loosen it a bit, same thing. It's not a huge issue, but kind of annoying. Plus, I expect better build quality!

Has anyone else experienced this and should I send it back for a new one? I'm not even sure if it's still under warranty or if they will replace it.

On another note, while shooting an event this weekend, I had the E3 on a flash bracket with a Vivitar 285HV cabled to the sync port. I rotated the camera to portrait and after depressing the shutter release halfway, it would not focus. It would'nt even release when pushed all the way down! Needless to say this was quite embarrassing because I was in the middle of shooting athletes on the podium and didn't get the shot. Even after quickly turning the camera off and on again, the shutter would not release. Luckily I had a few minutes before the next shot and the camera worked fine after that. Not sure what went wrong, but it was disconcerting to say the least.

So if anybody has experienced one or both of these issues with their HLD-4 grip, please let me know. Thanks.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Default Re: Creaking HLD-4 battery grip on E3

There was (is?) a design fault in the HLD-4's electronic circuit controlling the relative power drawn from the two batteries. If you have problems with the grip, Olympus will most likely take it in and modify it for free.

Before my HLD-4 was fixed by Olympus, I experienced many times that the E-3 locked up. Most often a re-power is sufficient but some times I have had to pull the batteries. I'm using an HLD-4 most of the time and I can't remember if that ever happened when using it without. Although my grip has been fixed by Olympus, the locking up has occurred occasionally since then as well and I have a very strong feeling that it has to do with how much charge there is left in the batteries. So now I try change batteries well ahead of full exhaustion if possible.

Cheers, Jens.

PS. My grip doesn't creak but it isn't sitting as firmly as the grip for the E-1 did. I wish that it had a better build quality - but then the price likely would have bee 3x higher (like the E-1 grip).
    Motto: Wildlife won't come to me unless I go to it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    My Wildlife Photos: jensbirch.smugmug.com

E-5, E-3, E-510, IR-E-1 ,E-P2
    ZD: 7-14, 14-54, 50, 50-200 SWD, 90-250/2.8, 300/2.8, EC-14, EC-20
    Peleng 8mm fisheye, shift Tamron SP 17/3.5, Tokina AT-X 300/2.8
    FL-50R, FL-40, FL-20, HLD-2, HLD-4, cleaved ZD EX-25 w. electric bypass, 250D, 500D, KatzEye Plus OptiBrite
    Feisol CT-3472LV and CM-1471

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

The E-3 grip has a lock switch for its shutter button (same on other grip models) , is it at lock position when you use it?

Regarding the creaking issue, I found it on the first day, it is not strong as the E-1 grip due to its bigger opening for the batteries, also due to different material, I sticked a thin rubber gasket (0.5-0.8mm thickness) between the body and the grip, it will makes you feel a bit better .....

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Johannes View Post
    The E-3 grip has a lock switch for its shutter button (same on other grip models) , is it at lock position when you use it?
    Yep, I bet it's the shutter lock. I've done it myself a couple of times. First you curse the camera then you curse yourself when you realise what caused it. Mine creaks a little too but I'm not surprised with there being only one screw holding the two parts together. Nevertheless it seems to work quite well for the intended purpose.
    E-M1, 12-40mm PRO, 60mm macro, MMF-3
    E-450, 50-200mm SWD, 25mm f2.8, EC-14
    FL-50R

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Mind doesn't creak; but it does lock up now and then and turning the cam power off and then on fixes that, and it takes half a second. What's worse though is that while on a bracket when I shift to portrait orientation, when shooting in manual mode, the camera will often revert to aperture priority, with a wide open aperture. That is frustrating. I have my Fn set so it's just a matter of pushing that and turning the dial, but still...geez. As for the batteries, I have found that if the red light goes on, I open the battery door, release the batteries and push them right back in, and I'm good to go for another long time.
    "The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven" - John Milton, Paradise Lost
    _____
    -Ken

Portals

https://www.facebook.com/kenfieldsphotography
    https://www.facebook.com/MauiIslandPortraits

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

I wish the E-3 successor build with a round sensor and doesn't need a grip .........

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post
    Yep, I bet it's the shutter lock. I've done it myself a couple of times. First you curse the camera then you curse yourself when you realise what caused it. Mine creaks a little too but I'm not surprised with there being only one screw holding the two parts together. Nevertheless it seems to work quite well for the intended purpose.
    Hmm, definitely could have been. Although IIRC, I checked the shutter lock and it wasn't locked. Guess I'll just have to keep shooting with it and see if it happens again. Not good to hear others have had problems with the grip though. Like jebir said, it's possible mine has a faulty electronic circuit, which in that case I would need to send it in.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Ok, so I'm pretty tired of all this creaking my battery grip is doing. I expected the quality to be much better. So what do you recommend, should I send it in for a replacement one or modify it with a rubber gasket as Johannes suggested? I have the lock dial tightened as much as possible and it still shifts and creaks. I purchased it brand new too!

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Considering the gasket sets you back at most half an hour in travel time to some supply or automotive store (Might be a bit more if you live somewhere isolated, but I imagine even most small towns have some kind of repair shop), and perhaps 5 bucks as far as the financial side goes, I can't help but wonder why you haven't tried that already if you found the creaking so annoying.
    If that doesn't fix it you could always send it in to Olympus, but expect that to take at least a few days, and the cost of shipping alone will probably run you more than a simple gasket.

J.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by JDoozey View Post
    Considering the gasket sets you back at most half an hour in travel time to some supply or automotive store (Might be a bit more if you live somewhere isolated, ...
    Or just cut a piece out of a bicycle tube - new or used.

Cheers, Jens.
    Motto: Wildlife won't come to me unless I go to it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    My Wildlife Photos: jensbirch.smugmug.com

E-5, E-3, E-510, IR-E-1 ,E-P2
    ZD: 7-14, 14-54, 50, 50-200 SWD, 90-250/2.8, 300/2.8, EC-14, EC-20
    Peleng 8mm fisheye, shift Tamron SP 17/3.5, Tokina AT-X 300/2.8
    FL-50R, FL-40, FL-20, HLD-2, HLD-4, cleaved ZD EX-25 w. electric bypass, 250D, 500D, KatzEye Plus OptiBrite
    Feisol CT-3472LV and CM-1471

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by jebir View Post
    Or just cut a piece out of a bicycle tube - new or used.

Cheers, Jens.
    Well I'll be damned. Bless you dear sir for unwrangling my already fairly uncomplicated scheme into something even less physically demanding.

You heard it, aberrantphoto, get to it, there's no reason not to at least try it now, it doesn't even involve that wretched outside world any more!

J.