Thread: HELP - E-30 processing to compact flash problem

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default HELP - E-30 processing to compact flash problem

- I recently bought an E-30 and it has been wonderful till this weekend. When I take a photo using the compact flash card the cameras processor light continues to flash and the camera is locked up. If I wait, the camera eventually times out and shuts down. If I power it off before that and turn it back on I can take another photo but it does the same thing. In both instances the photo I took IS on the card. I have tried a different compact flash card and it does the same thing. I formatted the card in-camera but that didn't help.
    I can take photos on the XD card just fine. The light flashes for a second then goes out and I can take another photo.

Has anyone else heard of this? experienced it for your self?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: HELP - E-30 processing to compact flash problem

I think there was similar problems.
    Here are some of them: remove the battery and wait (time may be a few minutes to hours for the camera to totally discharge) similar to cold reboot. Another was to hit reset to factory defaults.
    It just may be a computer software/hardware 'glitch' in the camera after all it is more computer like.

I am sure others will chime in and correct me and/or add to it.

Ciao,
    Lou Cioccio

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I've never had that problem with my E-30 and all I use is the CF card and I have taken several thousand pics with the camera. Since it is writing to the XD card fine there must be some kind of handshake problem with the CF card. I'd go ahead and try the battery out thing and maybe try a reset just for the heck of it but I think it's time to send it in as it sounds like it has a problem to me.

Lance

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

I'd suggest that you have a bad CF card. Try a different one.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I agree with Bill sounds like a bad card, you could power up and try a format of the card in the camera and see what happens, sometimes that will fix but I wouldn't go shooting a wedding with it afterwards as it will likely cause issues again.
    10% Off Any Zenfolio Subscription - ZR4-GXW-P2R.
    E-30+HLD-4 | E-510 | ZD14-42 | ZD14-54 MkII | ZD40-150 | ZD70-300 | ZD35 | OM 50/1.8 | FL-36R

Thanks
    Feedback Score

LouCiocco and LanceM - Thank you for the advice. I tried taking the battery out and put it back in and it did the same thing. I took it out again and turned the camera on thinking maybe opening up the circuits would help. I didn't unfortunately. I took the card out again and took the battery out and fiddled with it and put it all back together again and, Lo and Behold it started working fine again. Which is sort of unnerving not knowing for sure why it happened in the first place and wondering will it happen again in the middle of a wedding, God forbid but I do have a back up camera, E-510 that is adequate enough to finish the job. Don't get me wrong I'm thankful it's working again, whew.

Bill Turner and Imac - Thank you for your advise. Those are wonderful ideas but I had already thought of that, and as I stated in my first post, I switched cards and also formatted them in camera. I was bummed when it wasn't that easy of a fix.

So for now it's working again. Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Digitalfan; 07-10-2010 at 11:27 AM. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Cool Possibly bent pins

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalfan View Post
    - I recently bought an E-30 and it has been wonderful till this weekend. When I take a photo using the compact flash card the cameras processor light continues to flash and the camera is locked up. If I wait, the camera eventually times out and shuts down. If I power it off before that and turn it back on I can take another photo but it does the same thing. In both instances the photo I took IS on the card. I have tried a different compact flash card and it does the same thing. I formatted the card in-camera but that didn't help.
    I can take photos on the XD card just fine. The light flashes for a second then goes out and I can take another photo.

Has anyone else heard of this? experienced it for your self?
    If it only happens with CF cards and it happens with multiple cards, I suspect one of the pins that are supposed to mate with the CF card is bent or broken. I theory, you might be able to straighten it yourself with a high powered loup and a very long thin pliers. I suspect for most people, the answer is to send it in to get repaired. If you bought it new, hopefully it is covered under the warranty (it depends on whether Olympus thinks you mangled the pins and invokes the no-abuse clause in the warranty).

If it is out of warranty, you will need to judge whether it would be worth the cost to get it fixed, or whether you can tolerate using xD cards forever. I bent the pins in a portable storage unit. Fortunately, I got it fixed under a warranty repair.

Assuming it is a bent pin, the question is how did you bend it? The camera CF slot is rather deep, so you generally can't insert the card upside down (which is what got me with the PSU), but it is possible that if you put a card in the camera with one of the holes jammed, it would bend the pin. Or possibly a pin broke off and is sitting in your card, waiting to bend the pin of the next thing you put the CF card into.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

M Meissner - Well I thought of that and looked down in there and cant see a damn thing. LOL so I thought about it and I hadn't taken the card out from the time it was working till it wasn't working. Anyway, you are right about how would it be possible to bend a pin? The card only goes in one way and can only go in straight.
    In thinking about a broken pin that may be stuck in the card, I swapped cards again and the other card is also working fine as well. The problem it seems is/was in the camera.

Happy!!! but worried of a repeat

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalfan View Post
    M Meissner - Well I thought of that and looked down in there and cant see a damn thing. LOL so I thought about it and I hadn't taken the card out from the time it was working till it wasn't working. Anyway, you are right about how would it be possible to bend a pin? The card only goes in one way and can only go in straight.
    In thinking about a broken pin that may be stuck in the card, I swapped cards again and the other card is also working fine as well. The problem it seems is/was in the camera.

Happy!!! but worried of a repeat
    I have wondered the same thing about how you could bend one of those pins. I somehow managed to do it once though, and I wonder til this very day how it happened.

Jeff