Thread: Please leave prices in the ads for the Archive

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Default Please leave prices in the ads for the Archive

See the Rules and Regulations thread about closing ads and leaving ads intact.

A lot of people have been deleting prices and info about gear from their sales ads as soon as the item or items sell. This makes the Archives folder useless. Forum members should be able to use the archives as a reference for future sales. If someone wants to put a fair price on their equipment, they should be able to see the prices that have been listed before. They want to know what sold at or near the asking price and what didn't sell. If prices are reduced by the seller, that reduced price is probably a good target price in the future.

As a buyer I'd like to be able to see what an item has been listed for in the past. I'd like to buy with confidence, knowing the item is listed for a fair price. By deleting the price as soon as an item is sold the seller makes it impossible to research the info in the Archives.

Is there any advantage to deleting the asking price? Once it's sold it's no secret that the seller got the asking price or close to it. But no one knows what that price was. If an item is sold for less than the asking price that's between the buyer and seller. But the asking price is what we all want to research later in the Archive folder.

Please leave the asking prices or last reduction price intact in the ads.

For more info please see this thread:
    http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=42668
    Last edited by whaleshark; 08-25-2010 at 11:34 AM.
    Dave in So Cal

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Please leave prices in the ads for the Archive

*sticky*
    Adam
    piXelatedEmpire.com | Bird & Wildlife Photography
    flickr
    Facebook

no longer Oly

Canon 7D | EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS USM | 580 EX II

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    59 (100%)

Cool Re: Please leave prices in the ads for the Archive

Agreed...add the sold so you don't get any more PM for the item but it's nice to know what it ended up selling for...or at least the last asking price(!)

Dan

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Default No advantage to deleting prices in the ads

Some people are deleting the asking prices and/or reduced prices from their ads. Is there any advantage to doing this? The info is really valuable to everyone here if it is left intact for the Archives folder. I think that benefit really outways any small strategic advantage to removing prices.
    Dave in So Cal

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

personally i have no problem leaving the prices....
    but i understand if others want to delete it.

Solution :
    Have a table that charts a histogram for each type of item sold. So, there is a log of what the item sold and its price... but there is no way to link it to the actual item/seller.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Thanks for the reply Shrimp.

I just don't understand why anyone needs to delete the asking price. It's not necessarily the selling price but it gives us all a starting point to gage fair value for future selling and buying.

As far as a sophisticated program to track prices, I've already asked the moderators and it's too complicated or not possible.

One other solution is to make the first post of the thread so it can't be edited after a short period of time, and then let the OP post changes in a Reply.
    Dave in So Cal