Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: why are advertisements ...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Cool Re: why are advertisements ...

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    So you're saying YOU receive a lot of benefit from the information presented on the site, so OTHERs providing the information you are beneficiary of should pay to provide it for you.

Sorry, I don't join clubs.

I've found my solution: a little tuning of my installed adblocker and they're all gone now.

I detest advertisements snuck into the content of any medium.
    Well it was nice talking to you. Don't let the screendoor hit you on the way out.

Sorry to be so flip, but I don't suspect what bothers you so much bothers most of the other users, and also Tony would not be able to provide this site as a completely subscription only service. So unless you know some other way to get $$$ out to recover the costs, the ads will likely stay.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: why are advertisements ...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Meissner View Post
    Well it was nice talking to you. Don't let the screendoor hit you on the way out.

Sorry to be so flip, but I don't suspect what bothers you so much bothers most of the other users, and also Tony would not be able to provide this site as a completely subscription only service. So unless you know some other way to get $$$ out to recover the costs, the ads will likely stay.
    Thank you for your kind understanding of others' principles. I'll remember this of you.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by tspore View Post
    I think that they are cost per click. But I'm not saying click away. They are intended to be a way to provide funding, but I'm sure that encouraging endless clicking would result in me being band from the site. In fact I saw the Eye-fi one, that looked tempting to me today, but at some point I need to read the terms of service. I probably can't click on my own ads.
    I also was at the k-cup website yesterday, and every page I see ad's for those. Its amazing at how good Google does ads.
    On another board I frequent the "owner" of the board asks that everyone click one ad a day as a way to support that board. I see that as reasonable and will do the same here. Yes...the people here are wonderful and offer a huge amount of support and also entertainment that I probably would be reluctant to pay for and in the spirit of the Internet we all expect to be provided free of charge.

However, it ain't cheap and certainly isn't free to set up the infrastructure to provide boards like this and if all it takes is a simple right-click "Open in new tab" then close that ad why wouldn't I do that?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I, in my humility, occasionally provide information as well as receive it. The more I learn, the more I can advise those who are just starting out. If you think you will never learn anything here and your only participation is teaching others, then I have some advice for you, courtesy of my grandfather:
    " No matter how good (at something) you are, or think you are, there will always be some body better (at it) somewhere".
    Might even be here.
    E-30 with grip, Digilux 3, L1-14-50,70-300,9-18,50 f2, Bigma, 25 2.8, ec14, FL50r, 285HV
    Film: Mamya c330, Yashicamat 124G, Minolta SRT102, Minolta 570, 24,50,100,300 rokkor lenses,600mm f8 - 32 Hanimex, Slik, Ries, and Manifrotto tripods, Wimberly gimbal, and a bunch of stuff.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The advertisements provide revenue for Tony to help defray the costs of running this site. Memberships do, as well. In my opinion, it is perfectly acceptable for Tony to choose whatever method(s) he desires to generate the necessary revenue.

Someone posted that there are alternative funding models out there, including but not limited to the idea of an annual "beg from the users" campaign (it may have been called something else, but that's what it is). Personally, I find that sort of funding model much more annoying than any sort of subscription model. I also find the "begging model" much more annoying and intrusive than the type of side-bar ads I've seen on this site.

Personally, I get a lot of value out of the site, so I became a member within a few weeks of discovering that it existed. I also -- just until recently -- kept the advertisements "turned on", despite being a paying member with the capability of turning them off, just to do a little bit more to help Tony out at no real cost to myself. I even clicked through on a few of them that interested me, from time to time.

However, the recent change to intersperse ads between forum posts was sufficiently "jarring" when reading that I decided that I had to turn the ads off. If there were a way to turn off just these interstitial ads, but keep the other, less-intrusive, ads enabled, I would choose that option.

All that being said, I fully support Tony in whatever decisions he makes in running this site. I hope that it remains cash-flow-positive, so that he will continue to run it. It is a valuable resource for users of four-thirds camera gear, and I'd hate to lose it.

Thanks for everything, Tony!

- Rick
    Cameras: Yes.
    Lenses: Yes.
    Lighting: Sometimes, depending upon needs.
    Misc.: Other stuff, as needed.

CrayonPhotos.com ... pictures that draw you in.
    Follow me on Twitter.
    Like me on Facebook.

Lower 48 in my 5th wheel during the winter and SE Alaska in the summer
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRick View Post
    The advertisements provide revenue for Tony to help defray the costs of running this site. Memberships do, as well. In my opinion, it is perfectly acceptable for Tony to choose whatever method(s) he desires to generate the necessary revenue.

Someone posted that there are alternative funding models out there, including but not limited to the idea of an annual "beg from the users" campaign (it may have been called something else, but that's what it is). Personally, I find that sort of funding model much more annoying than any sort of subscription model. I also find the "begging model" much more annoying and intrusive than the type of side-bar ads I've seen on this site.

Personally, I get a lot of value out of the site, so I became a member within a few weeks of discovering that it existed. I also -- just until recently -- kept the advertisements "turned on", despite being a paying member with the capability of turning them off, just to do a little bit more to help Tony out at no real cost to myself. I even clicked through on a few of them that interested me, from time to time.

However, the recent change to intersperse ads between forum posts was sufficiently "jarring" when reading that I decided that I had to turn the ads off. If there were a way to turn off just these interstitial ads, but keep the other, less-intrusive, ads enabled, I would choose that option.

All that being said, I fully support Tony in whatever decisions he makes in running this site. I hope that it remains cash-flow-positive, so that he will continue to run it. It is a valuable resource for users of four-thirds camera gear, and I'd hate to lose it.

Thanks for everything, Tony!

- Rick
    Ditto - and I have not turned the ads off yet, I don't find them that offensive, the site offers way more than that little annoyance...and if that is enough to make you leave, then seeya!!

Jim

Thanks Tony for all you do by providing this site...keep it up and a few ads won't bother me!
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

E-5, E-30, E-500, - Oly 150 F-2, Oly 9-18, 50 Macro, 40-150, 50-200 non-SWD, Oly 70-300, and 14-54, EC-14, EC-20, FL-36R, Bower SFD9260 TTL Flash, Cokin Pro Z Filter System, Oh, and more than likely, more on the way!!!

Photo Book - Click Here
    SmugMug Pics - Click Here
    Personal Website - Click Here