View Poll Results: Will you be buying an E-5

Voters
304. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck yeah - I already ordered mine!

27 8.88%
  • I will definitely be buying at some point in time.

119 39.14%
  • I will wait for used E-5s to show up.

47 15.46%
  • I am waiting on reviews or image samples.

47 15.46%
  • Nope, not the camera for me.

34 11.18%
  • No way - I am moving away from 4/3.

30 9.87%
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will you be buying an E-5

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Default Will you be buying an E-5

OK folks, somebody had to post this poll, so here it is - will you be buying an E-5?
    Last edited by JRM60; 09-15-2010 at 11:29 PM. Reason: spelling
    Jim Couch
    Portland, OR, USA
    www.unicornphotography.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Re: Will you be buying and E-5

Quote Originally Posted by JBC View Post
    OK folks, somebody had to post this poll, so here it is - will you be buying an E-5?

I voted, "I will definitely be buying at some point in time." I'm going to let the price drop a bit before I pull the trigger.
    Kevin
    ===
    E3, E500, 35 Macro, 14-42, 40-150, 12-60, 50-200 SWD, FL-50, 2 cheap Wal-Mart tripods, 1 cheap Wal-Mart monopod

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevins686/

"Are YOU a Little Lebowski Urban Achiever?"

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

I'll wait for some NIB used ones, perhaps 6 months to a year down the line. I like what they've done with the E-5, but nothing about it screams out for me to upgrade from my E-3.

It's the whole evolution vs. revolution. If the body was more revolutionary, I'd be more inclined to upgrade sooner.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

I'm getting one as soon as it comes out. Watch for a cheap E1 to go on the market, I used that thing to death!!!
    Charles

Canon cool aid, but soft spot for Oly :-D

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Ordered mine this morning.
    Paul
    E-5 x 2 / E-3 + HLD-4 / E-520 / Oly 11-22mm / Oly 12-60mm SWD / Oly 14-54mm II / Oly 35-100mm / Oly 50mm / Oly 50-200mm SWD / Sigma 50-500mm / Oly 300mm / EC-20 / EC-14 / EX-25 / FL-36 / FL-50R / Gitzo GT2531 Tripod /Jobu Jr Kit Gimbal / Acratech GV2 Ballhead ... and a whole bunch more!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kevins686 View Post
    I voted, "I will definitely be buying at some point in time." I'm going to let the price drop a bit before I pull the trigger.
    ditto.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Cool Re: Will you be buying and E-5

Quote Originally Posted by JBC View Post
    Probably in a year or so for the combination of video and weather sealing. At the moment, I'm still paying off the 14-150mm lens I got for the E-P2, so it will be a long time before I buy something as expensive as an E-5 (over a year).

But unless they release a weather sealed E-Px (that will work with my 14-54mm and 50-200mm lenses, or comes with a weather sealed kit lens) that is much cheaper than the E-5, I will certainly consider buying it.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kevins686 View Post
    I don't know if the price is going to drop all that much, unless Olympus decides to hold a firesale and dump the bodies like they did for the E-1. I suspect Olympus won't be doing that again.

Looking back, the MSRP for the E-3 was $1,700 at launch (September or October 2007). Ten months later, when I bought mine in August 2008, the price was $1,500 or $1,600. Granted it now has fallen to $1,000, but that is almost three years after the initial announcement.

Will it come down in price over time, probably. Will it fall in a couple of months, probably not unless sales are really disappointing. I don't think Olympus is expecting this to be a barn burner in terms of sales, and probably produced a lot fewer bodies.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Waiting for reviews and images.
    And on a "huge" price drop....
    The improvements have to be clear though, compared to the E-3, that's the main thing for me. Specially now I did see the specs and price of the new Nikon
    But the E-5 will be winning me over afterall I'm "afraid". Too much 4/3 lenses and stuff to justify a jumping ship, and on top of that if I ever see a 2nd hand 35-100 for a nice price I jump on that one ASAP...hence even more reason not to switch brands after that.
    (brrr my lust of that lens is HUGE)
    Arjan

"Thinking is bad for taking pictures...it's not about thinking, it's about discovering" - Eliott Erwitt

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by PdO View Post
    Ordered mine this morning.
    Where did you pre-order Paul?
    Charles

Canon cool aid, but soft spot for Oly :-D

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

For me it's a no brainer. I need a new body for professional work. I'm not going to buy a new E-3, that would be counter productive. I have a lot invested in SHG and other equipment. I've been waiting for a new upgrade so I will jump on this when it comes out. I am out of the country for half of October so I can't pre order now. I wish they had an actual date... I'm not happy with the price, not surprised, but not happy. A few hundred cheaper and I would have considered buying 2. I am dying to see some test with the higher ISO. That is my only problem with my E-3, I can shoot up to 1600 and in some case 2000 ISO and with the help of LR3, they come out usable (wedding photographer by the way). So if I can shoot that way at 3200 ISO or even 6400 (wishfull thinking), it will save my rear in that tough lighting situation.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Lowa2 View Post
    Where did you pre-order Paul?
    Henry's in Toronto Charles - here
    Paul
    E-5 x 2 / E-3 + HLD-4 / E-520 / Oly 11-22mm / Oly 12-60mm SWD / Oly 14-54mm II / Oly 35-100mm / Oly 50mm / Oly 50-200mm SWD / Sigma 50-500mm / Oly 300mm / EC-20 / EC-14 / EX-25 / FL-36 / FL-50R / Gitzo GT2531 Tripod /Jobu Jr Kit Gimbal / Acratech GV2 Ballhead ... and a whole bunch more!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by yaroldb View Post
    For me it's a no brainer. I need a new body for professional work. I'm not going to buy a new E-3, that would be counter productive. I have a lot invested in SHG and other equipment. I've been waiting for a new upgrade so I will jump on this when it comes out. I am out of the country for half of October so I can't pre order now. I wish they had an actual date... I'm not happy with the price, not surprised, but not happy. A few hundred cheaper and I would have considered buying 2. I am dying to see some test with the higher ISO. That is my only problem with my E-3, I can shoot up to 1600 and in some case 2000 ISO and with the help of LR3, they come out usable (wedding photographer by the way). So if I can shoot that way at 3200 ISO or even 6400 (wishfull thinking), it will save my rear in that tough lighting situation.
    It depends on where you are and what store you are ordering from. Olympus typically rolls out cameras to different countries at different times. In the USA, the flagship stores that carry a lot of Olympus gear tend to get the first shipments, then B&H/Adorama, then the secondary stores, then Amazon. I'm not sure this is cast in stone, but this appears to be the pattern that they've used in the past. Even behind Amazon seems to be Dell, which I've seen a lot of complaints over the years that they advertise a good price, but don't actually ship it until much later (usually by that time, the street price may have fallen to what Dell offered -- but I haven't seen it in awhile, so maybe Dell has changed their ways).

Usually with the flagship stores, you need to pre-order with a salesperson (not online) to get the camera ASAP. Even if you preorder, the stores usually only get a few copies at first, and if the store has more pre-orders, people further down the line have to wait. For instance, when I bought my E-510, the store selling it (Hunts, in Melrose, MA) had 3 pre-orders, but they only got 1 E-510 the first day. Within a week, I think they were able to get cameras for the other 2 pre-orders.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

No, I Can't even afford an E-3. Someday maybe.
    Love Photography,
    Lin Singleton

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Meissner View Post
    It depends on where you are and what store you are ordering from. Olympus typically rolls out cameras to different countries at different times.
    This is so true. I sure hope Olympus doesn't drop the ball on Canadian shipping like it did with the first E-P1 Pen. They actually got the kit with the 14-42mm retractable zoom lens in about 2 weeks early... but then the kit with the 17mm pancake and VF-1 viewfinder didn't come in at all! At least, they hadn't come in yet a month later before I finally gave up on it and bought the zoom lens kit. None of the stores in Canada had them, as they weren't even shipped into Toronto.

Mind you, I was complaining then but I'm not complaining now. I prefer the unique little retractable lens and wouldn't have liked the 17mm pancake after Panasonic released their better 20mm f/1.7 pancake. So in this instance, it worked out well for me.
    Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-PL2 PEN | Olympus E-PM1 PEN | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Neddog View Post
    This is so true. I sure hope Olympus doesn't drop the ball on Canadian shipping like it did with the first E-P1 Pen. They actually got the kit with the 14-42mm retractable zoom lens in about 2 weeks early... but then the kit with the 17mm pancake and VF-1 viewfinder didn't come in at all! At least, they hadn't come in yet a month later before I finally gave up on it and bought the zoom lens kit. None of the stores in Canada had them, as they weren't even shipped into Toronto.

Mind you, I was complaining then but I'm not complaining now. I prefer the unique little retractable lens and wouldn't have liked the 17mm pancake after Panasonic released their better 20mm f/1.7 pancake. So in this instance, it worked out well for me.
    I believe this is due to Olympus Canada deciding nobody was going to want a 17mm kit. Each country division seems to decide what is in the kit offered for sale in the country.

Oh I forgot to mention, if you absolutely, positively have to have the new shiny first, you typically need to order a kit, since the kits always come out before body only. In the case of the E-5 however, it looks like it is body only and there are no kits (E-3 originally in the USA had a kit with 12-60mm and FL-50R). I suspect this is because Olympus expects mostly existing customers to buy it.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I believe this is due to Olympus Canada deciding nobody was going to want a 17mm kit. Each country division seems to decide what is in the kit offered for sale in the country.
    I didn't know that! My camera dealers only knew that the shipments they were expecting weren't coming in, so we blamed the shipper, lol.

Oh I forgot to mention, if you absolutely, positively have to have the new shiny first, you typically need to order a kit, since the kits always come out before body only. In the case of the E-5 however, it looks like it is body only and there are no kits (E-3 originally in the USA had a kit with 12-60mm and FL-50R). I suspect this is because Olympus expects mostly existing customers to buy it.
    Yes, and also because it is a pro-line and pros tend to buy in pieces not kits. It doesn't surprise me that it would be immediately available as body-only, but it does surprise me that there isn't even a kit available... maybe they'll switch it around and offer a kit later. I'd be curious to know if they ship it with the 12-60mm or 14-54mm MkII... or something else.
    Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-PL2 PEN | Olympus E-PM1 PEN | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca

Kalispell Montana, mere minutes from Glacier Park
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

No spot for my vote, I'm waiting till the first batch hits the market to make sure there are no E3 repeats, LCD, focus issues etc, before I jump in. Even then I need to sell some stuff to generate funds. In this day and age, that could take a while.
    I'm sure there is one in my future if the masses are happy with it otherwise, an e30 might do me fine.
    If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads,
    you're doing something wrong." óJohn Gierach

Jim
    Visit me at:

www.hillbilly-photo.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Yep, I'll be buying for sure - but only after the E-3 dies. We may be up to E-7 by then.
    E-M1, 12-40mm PRO, 60mm macro, MMF-3
    E-450, 50-200mm SWD, 25mm f2.8, EC-14
    FL-50R

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I'll wait to see test images and reviews, but I'm definitely interested.

The E-5's specs didn't make me jump for joy when officially announced, so I started looking around for alternatives, mostly Nikon's D700, D300, and D7000. Good cameras all. But nothing about any one of them justifies reaching for my wallet right now, especially given the cost of FX lenses and uncertain quality of DX lenses. You buy a system, after all, not a camera body.

So I looked a little closer at the E-5. There may be a lot going on inside it that I'd maybe discounted at first glance, little touches that suggest maybe there's more attention to IQ and functionality than Oly's getting credit for. It'll be a while yet before we know for sure, but I'm actually kind of optimistic now about the E-5, especially with Oly Zuiko glass on it.

Sometimes the grass is just as green as it needs to be on this side of the fence.

John
    Old enough to know better, young enough not to care.
    E-5, E-3, E-500; ZD 9-18, 12-60, 14-54 I, 35, 50, 50-200 SWD, PL 25; EC-14; FL-50, HLD-4
    E-M5; m.ZD 12-50, MMF-3, HLD-6
    Nikon D800,
    Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED, 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II, 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR II, 105mm f/2.8G ED IF VR micro
    B+W & Cokin filters, Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Acratech GP ball head

jlhemingwayphotos.com

Lower 48 in my 5th wheel during the winter and SE Alaska in the summer
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

I can see one in my future at some point after prices drop and some used ones show up...I can't see much difference between the new E-5 and the E-30 I just got except some weather proofing...so I will continue to learn to use the E-30 until such time another "deal" comes along...

Jim
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

E-5, E-30, E-500, - Oly 150 F-2, Oly 9-18, 50 Macro, 40-150, 50-200 non-SWD, Oly 70-300, and 14-54, EC-14, EC-20, FL-36R, Bower SFD9260 TTL Flash, Cokin Pro Z Filter System, Oh, and more than likely, more on the way!!!

Photo Book - Click Here
    SmugMug Pics - Click Here
    Personal Website - Click Here

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by wigpro View Post
    I can see one in my future at some point after prices drop and some used ones show up...I can't see much difference between the new E-5 and the E-30 I just got except some weather proofing...so I will continue to learn to use the E-30 until such time another "deal" comes along...

Jim
    I'm with you. I am pretty happy with my E-30 though I recognize that there are new advances that might prompt me to take a second look at the E-5 6 months to a year down the road however I am anxious to read some of the performance reviews.

Ron
    VF-2, EPL-5, 45mm 1.8, 20mm, 1.7, 14-42 II, 40-150 R PLUS E30 and E330
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronjoiner/
    http://joinersmusings.blogspot.ca/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

If the low ISO improvements in the E-5 trickle down to the lower models (the E-40, the E-630, the E-530?), I'll be the first with my wallet out. This seems very likely, considering that it appears that these improvements trickled up from the Pen cameras.

Edit - yikes, I meant high ISO! Guess I was thinking of low noise.
    Last edited by RAH; 09-15-2010 at 04:06 PM.
    Rich
    Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: Will you be buying an E-5

Certainly yes. Only thing I'm waiting on is Lightroom/Camera Raw support for E-5 raw files. And money, of course. ;-)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

...this morning I went by my favorite camera store and placed my order for an E-5, they knew it had been announced so it wasn't a surprise. They did say mine was the first order for their line of stores, Lens & Shutter in Victoria and Vancouver BC. I will now sit back in anticipation of a phone call at some future point in time - hopefully not too distant...
    cheers,

Lorne Miller

http://lornemiller.smugmug.com/

4/3rds stuff: E-1 w HLD-2
    35-100 f2, 14-35 f2 SWD, 50-200 SWD
    m4/3rds stuff: OM-D E-M5 x 2, mZD 12-50, mZD 40-150, mZD 14-42