Thread: Step-up and step-down rings

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Step-up and step-down rings

While I have heard of step-up and step-down rings, I have never used them. I'd be interested in hearing general advice about them and, in particular, it would be nice to get comments on the idea of using a step-down ring to mount a 72mm circular polarizer on a Zuiko 150 mm which takes an 82mm filter. It sounds like a lot of vignetting, but I thought I would ask.

Thanks,

Dale
    =======================================

I strive for perfection but settle for excellence.
    Ansel Adams

http://crookedbeak.smugmug.com/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: Step-up and step-down rings

Quote Originally Posted by ravenintherain View Post
    While I have heard of step-up and step-down rings, I have never used them. I'd be interested in hearing general advice about them and, in particular, it would be nice to get comments on the idea of using a step-down ring to mount a 72mm circular polarizer on a Zuiko 150 mm which takes an 82mm filter. It sounds like a lot of vignetting, but I thought I would ask.
    It probably will vignette a bit alright, but given the long focal length the vignetting will likely be very smooth and subtle. I don't have the lens to test with (humbug!), but I think you might not notice it.

For the best deals, do look on Ebay but don't buy the cheapest set of rings you can find. Look for a middle quality line from a seller with a large amount of good feedback.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Despite the narrow angle of view, my guess is that you'll get some vignetting. The smaller the aperture, the more the effect.
    Mukul Dube E-3, ZD 14-54, ZD 35, ZD 25, ZD 18-180, FL-36, ME-1, Bower SFD 926o; Sony A7 with kit zoom and 24, 35, 50, 55, 85 and 105 manual Nikkors Flickr

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Cool Re: Step-up and step-down rings

Quote Originally Posted by ravenintherain View Post

Thanks,

Dale
    People have have covered that a step down ring is likely to vignette. Sometimes a step up ring will also vignette depending on the angles, etc. Also, if you shoot wide open you are more likely to see vignettes than if you are shooting at f/8. Finally, with a prime, you might be cropping anyway if you can't get exactly the perfect shot at 150mm, so it may not be an issue.

One other thing that you may not have thought of is usually you can't use the hood designed for the lens, and if you want to keep out flare, you need to use a third party hood (which may increase the chance for vignetting).

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Yeah, that seems like a lot to be stepping down (too bad, considering the cost of circular polarizers!). I have used a step-down ring to go down from 58 to 55, for example, to mount an Oly TCON-17 converter on a Canon superzoom, and had no problems, but that's a small step.
    Rich
    Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks for the advice, all. Special thanks to you Michael. As usual, you pointed out what I hadn't thought of, i.e., that a step-down ring would probably interfere with the lens hood.

Dale
    =======================================

I strive for perfection but settle for excellence.
    Ansel Adams

http://crookedbeak.smugmug.com/