Thread: Olympus E-620 (Date/Time)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Olympus E-620 (Date/Time)

After you have set the Date/Time on the Olympus E-620, is there a way to revert back to factory default settings where no date/time is shown?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Default Re: Olympus E-620 (Date/Time)

You can reset the camera settings to factory default by using the RESET function. I don't know what it does to the time display.

MENU > CUSTOM RESET > RESET

Cheers,
    Alec

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

Question Re: Olympus E-620 (Date/Time)

Quote Originally Posted by sitedzynz View Post
    After you have set the Date/Time on the Olympus E-620, is there a way to revert back to factory default settings where no date/time is shown?
    I'm sure that it can be done manually but... WHY?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 3dpan View Post
    You can reset the camera settings to factory default by using the RESET function. I don't know what it does to the time display.

MENU > CUSTOM RESET > RESET

Cheers,
    Alec
    Using the reset wont effect the time and date setting... To change it you have to manually change it... but as Bill said...WHY?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

It's more confusing when I look back at pics with timestamps, and I don't always remember to change my date/timestamp on my camera to adjust for Daylight Savings Time.

Can you tell me how to "manually" change it?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

To change it 'manually', read the manual.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I read the manual, prior to posting my question. There are no solutions in the manual. I was hoping someone else had suggestions.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Cool Re: Olympus E-620 (Date/Time)

I read the manual, prior to posting my question. There are no solutions in the manual. I was hoping someone else had suggestions.
    Presumably the only way is to take out the battery and wait until the capacitor that powers the date/time clock while you are changing batteries drains down. I have no idea how long it would take, probably several days.

It is possible there is a specific date in the past that Olympus uses as the initial date that it assumes the date has not been set. It may be if you set the date manually to this date, that the camera will ask for the date/time the next time it is powered on.

You haven't mentioned why you want to reset the date/time. The only reason I can think of is you used the camera and now want to return it to the original condition so you can sell it as 'new'. It may be to guard against this is why Olympus doesn't provide a menu option to clear the date field.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Page 15 of the manual quite clearly shows how to set the date/time on the camera. However, that doesn't seem to be your main problem. If I understand you correctly (and it is a little confusing) you want to view your images without the time/date stamp appearing. I assume you mean on the camera and not in an external program. In playback mode you can repeatedly press the Info button to cycle through several different displays, one of which is "Image only", which has no information overlayed. This is covered on page 85 of the manual. The time/date stamp is part of the "Simplified display" mode, and cannot be turned off separately. If the "Image only" mode does not appear, perhaps it has been disabled in the Info Setting item of Custom Menu D, "DISP/PC" - you can turn off all the displays except the "Simplified" display. This is covered on page 101 of the manual. If the Custom Menus (A through I) do not appear then they need to be enabled by turning ON the "Menu Display" item in the Setup menu. This is covered on page 23 of the manual, and expanded beginning on page 95 of the manual.

If you're talking about viewing the time/date stamp in an external program, that is a different ball game. The time/date stamp of an image is part of the EXIF data and cannot be altered in camera. Only an external program with the capability to read and write the EXIF data (such as Lightroom and others) can be used to alter the original capture time.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_Turner View Post
    I'm sure that it can be done manually but... WHY?
    I believe there is a way to do a hard reset of the camera from within the service menu which should clear the date. However, I do not know if you can take photos with the camera without setting the date to something. If I remember correctly, when you first turn on a virgin camera the date or a message related to the date is flashing on the LCD, prompting you to set it. I suspect that even if you did not set it manually, it would auto-set to something like 01-01-2008 and then start keeping time from there.
    ODM
    ----------------
    Recent photos: http://www.ahfairley.com/gallery/index.html
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=fad9c02a1f
    E-10, E-M5, 20mm, PZ 14-42mm

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Meissner View Post
    Presumably the only way is to take out the battery and wait until the capacitor that powers the date/time clock while you are changing batteries drains down. I have no idea how long it would take, probably several days.

It is possible there is a specific date in the past that Olympus uses as the initial date that it assumes the date has not been set. It may be if you set the date manually to this date, that the camera will ask for the date/time the next time it is powered on.

You haven't mentioned why you want to reset the date/time. The only reason I can think of is you used the camera and now want to return it to the original condition so you can sell it as 'new'. It may be to guard against this is why Olympus doesn't provide a menu option to clear the date field.
    I had contacted Olympus and they said to "try leaving the battery out for 24 hours." I tried that, but it did not reset. I will try leaving it out for several days as you suggest.

Dealing with daylight savings time changes, if you forget to reset your camera, then your images will have the wrong date/time. I would rather have no date/time than to have a wrong one.

I do not want to sell my camera. I absolutely love it! It's my 4th Olympus digital SLR.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

I would rather have no date/time than to have a wrong one.
    I don't understand this at all. even if you don't reset at the time change, the date will only be wrong for pictures taken within an hour of midnight, and who cares about the time?
    ODM
    ----------------
    Recent photos: http://www.ahfairley.com/gallery/index.html
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=fad9c02a1f
    E-10, E-M5, 20mm, PZ 14-42mm

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

I had contacted Olympus and they said to "try leaving the battery out for 24 hours." I tried that, but it did not reset. I will try leaving it out for several days as you suggest.

Dealing with daylight savings time changes, if you forget to reset your camera, then your images will have the wrong date/time. I would rather have no date/time than to have a wrong one.

I do not want to sell my camera. I absolutely love it! It's my 4th Olympus digital SLR.
    I really don't understand how this will help. If you reset to factory default and don't change to current time, then all your photos will have an incorrect date/time. AFAIK there is no way to NOT record the date/time as part of the image data, and according to the manual there is no way to turn the date info off in the "Simplified display" mode. What am I missing?

OTOH many software packages (such as Lightroom) make it very easy to alter the capture time once the image is on the computer. It is often just a matter of adjusting by a certain number of hours, which I have had to do a number of times when I crossed time zones and boneheadedly forgot to change the time on the camera...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

One could always set it to UTC.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Cool Re: Olympus E-620 (Date/Time)

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    One could always set it to UTC.
    Yes, I was going to suggest that. It seems like a tempest in a teapot, but if you really have to have the exact time....

BTW, talking about exact time, when I reset my cameras clocks after the USA went back to standard time, I noticed some of them were 15 minutes or more off. So, if it is important to you, make sure you check the time against a time source from a trusted atomic clock. I would imagine if you are correlating a GPS log with your camera, you probably want fairly accurate times.

Or alternatively, you can use software that edits the EXIF information if you found you set the time wrong (or didn't adjust it when going on vacation, etc.). Note, I use the first under Linux as a command line tool, the others I found via google:

Exiftool will correctly deal with just about anything. Due to the nature of the Olympus EXIF maker fields on older cameras, you might wind up destroying the maker notes fields that gives you the lens type, etc. if you use something that isn't exiftool (or based on it). However, given you mentioned the E-620, it should be safe to use with the other software.
    Last edited by Michael Meissner; 11-16-2010 at 05:22 AM.