Thread: Metro

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Default Metro

Every other weekend or so, I will stumble into DC hoping to photograph some things. In general, I've found that I really don't accomplish much unless I have specific shots I set out to try (and I'll only pull off those shots). This is disappointing, as I want to develop a more spontaneous ability.

This is a photograph I had planned for a bit. The goal was simply to capture a metro train as it sped by. It was intentionally as wide as possible (7mm on the 7-14mm) to make it 'close'. With the horrible mixed lighting and lack of any truly interesting color, I just desaturated it (with a matching sharpness boost).

So far, I've had two people express their admiration for this photograph. A friend of mine and a random person on Flickr. However, I'm a bit more ambivalent. Maybe someone could help enlightenment me on what I did right and what I could do better.

Metro by Asinar, on Flickr
    E3 w/ HLD-4, 7-14mm, 12-60mm, 50mm, 150mm Macro, FL-50R with E-620+25mm as a poor-man's Leica
    Any photograph I've taken that is the least bit respectable is probably sitting on Flickr. I also talk about them occasionally.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Re: Metro

I've always been a fan of photos of metros/subways. Were you using a tripod?

Were you waiting for some people to come by? The people do balance the image out it seems, but I think it might be better if the guy on the bottom right were a touch further ahead and if the two guys were -maybe- walking in the same direction.

I like the texture in the tilework, ceiling and lights along the edge alot. Plus the flickering of (I'm guessing the destination sign at the back) in motion gives a very interesting zig-zag look!
    michael with an e-3 on Flickr

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I was using a monopod. And the only thing I was waiting for was the train. I had the E-3 set to rapid fire (in so far as you can be rapid at 1/3 second) and let it go as the train approached. I always wonder what the random civilians think when some guy with a large camera on a stick is going at it.

I didn't even realize the guy on the right was in the shot until afterwards. I was more concentrating on the train.

The strobed lights would be the line color (in this case, Yellow) on the front (it was heading towards me), but otherwise, yes.
    E3 w/ HLD-4, 7-14mm, 12-60mm, 50mm, 150mm Macro, FL-50R with E-620+25mm as a poor-man's Leica
    Any photograph I've taken that is the least bit respectable is probably sitting on Flickr. I also talk about them occasionally.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan McGee View Post
    Maybe someone could help enlightenment me on what I did right and what I could do better.
    I wouldn't change a thing!! The black and white works perfectly in this situation and the wide angle adds a nice perspective. I also like the movement of the people on the ramp. Nice work!

I have been meaning to try this with the local MAX transit train that runs in my area. Thanks for the inspiration
    Name's Trevor, feel free to check out my various sites!
    Celerity Photography / Flickr / Facebook / Twitter
    E-5 w/HLD-4 / 2xE-510 w/Ownuser BH-E51R / 9-18mm / 14-54mm MKI / 50-200mm MKI / Sigma 30mm f1.4 / 2xFL-50
    (5) Sunpak 433D / Cybersyncs / Cokin Z-Pro U960 Kit / Manfrotto 190XB w/ 486RC2 Ball Head

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I really like your photo. I think the black and white works great, the image is very sharp, and lucking into that guy walking into the photo adds a bit more to it. Looks empty compared to my metro shot!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I like it,
    The "generic" silhouettes fit great into the concept.

I think even high key version could be great.
    Cheers,
    Marin

E-M5, 7.5mm fisheye, 12mm, 45mm, various flashes and misc.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I think your image works very well and I like the mono treatment.
    You could not do anything about it, but in a perfect world I would prefer to see the vague person on the right not there, and the person down the platform much closer.
    But it was not possible and it still works really well with the diagonal lines all focusing on the one point.
    Cheers,
    Don

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

The speeding train and the textures of the ceiling really make this shot, Jonathan. I would have liked it even more without the blurry guy on the right, but it really doesn't detract. I also think a high-key rendering might be cool too!
    Nate

"There's only one rule in photography - never develop colour film in chicken noodle soup." - Freeman Patterson

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

So, when one says 'high-key,' do you mean to merely bias the exposure up or is there more to it than that?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I really think the image is to its max. Maybe it could have been from a foot or two lower. Anyhow, the lines and movement work very well with the eye. Nice work. Everything ovine works well in balancing the image. The textures work with that balance as well as the tones.
    Cheers, and God bless
    Marc VanderArk
    Please, comment on my blog and image sites:
    http://mrvphotography.wordpress.com/
    http://mrvphotography.zenfolio.com/