Thread: More Adobe Oly Lens profiles available

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Default More Adobe Oly Lens profiles available

I have found that people have uploaded a number of lens profiles for Oly lenses to the Adobe server. If you use the Adobe Lens Profile Downloader app, however, you will not see them under the default "Olympus" entry, rather you have to type into the Camera Make box "Olympus im" (b/c Oly identifies the camera make in EXIF as "Olympus Imaging Corp." There are profiles for the 11-22, 14-45 Mk I, 50-200, 12-60, 14-42, 70-300, 20 f1.7, as well as the Sigma-created profiles.

These other profiles will show up in Lens Filter using the Search Online button, but only the one for the lens used to take the picture. (I've checked with profiles for the 50-200 and the 12-60. Note that if there are several profiles, you can highlight one and right click to see what FLs and apertures were used to create the profile.
    ODM
    ----------------
    Recent photos: http://www.ahfairley.com/gallery/index.html
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=fad9c02a1f
    E-10, E-M5, 20mm, PZ 14-42mm

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Default Re: More Adobe Oly Lens profiles available

I assume that these only work for the body lens combination listed. If so, somebody went hog wild with the E-510. Dave

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by djc737 View Post
    I assume that these only work for the body lens combination listed. If so, somebody went hog wild with the E-510. Dave
    No, they will work with any 4/3 or m4/3 camera. What matters is the sensor crop factor, which is the same for all.
    ODM
    ----------------

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Great find!
    E-M1, 12-40mm PRO, 60mm macro, MMF-3
    E-450, 50-200mm SWD, 25mm f2.8, EC-14
    FL-50R

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I've downloaded the profiles for the Oly 12-60mm and the 50-200mm. Now I well appreciate the effort someone has gone to to prepare these and provide them for free, because I've tried to do it myself and gave up. However, I have to say that I find the results disappointing. The first photo is a raw straight out of the camera, 12-60mm @ 12mm 1/500 F4 ISO100. The vertical post on the right shows the famous "handlebar" distortion of this lens. The second photo is a virtual copy of the first with the downloaded profile applied. You can see that it has over-corrected leaving pincushion distortion particularly of the horizontal beam. So I am sad to say that one should be wary of using this profile automatically.
    E-M1, 12-40mm PRO, 60mm macro, MMF-3
    E-450, 50-200mm SWD, 25mm f2.8, EC-14
    FL-50R

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post
    I've downloaded the profiles for the Oly 12-60mm and the 50-200mm. Now I well appreciate the effort someone has gone to to prepare these and provide them for free, because I've tried to do it myself and gave up. However, I have to say that I find the results disappointing. The first photo is a raw straight out of the camera, 12-60mm @ 12mm 1/500 F4 ISO100. The vertical post on the right shows the famous "handlebar" distortion of this lens. The second photo is a virtual copy of the first with the downloaded profile applied. You can see that it has over-corrected leaving pincushion distortion particularly of the horizontal beam. So I am sad to say that one should be wary of using this profile automatically.
    Yuck! One thing to note is that ACR/PS/LR will take the correction parameters and extrapolate to apply them to focal lengths other than those actually shot when creating the profile, which is why Adobe recommends that you shoot targets at each focal length marked on the zoom ring. (In the case of the 14-54, that was 14, 17, 25, 35, and 54.) But using the Adobe Profile Downloader, I see that the profile created with the E-510 was created using only one target, shot at 30mm. (Click on the Profile Set triangle in the Information box of the app to see all the FLs used to create the profile) So if you use that profile on an image shot at 12mm, the effect should be to increase barelling, since the distortion usually present at long focal lengths is pincushion distortion. Note that if you are in ACR/PS/LR you can right click on a particular profile in the list to show the same information. Conversely if you have a profile created using only a target set shot at full wide, and apply it to a tele image, not only will you add pincushioning but you will have over-lightened corners since the lenses vignette much more at the wide end.

In fact, I see that all of the E-510 profiles were shot at only one focal length, making them pretty useless for anything but that FL or near to. And I see that the 12-60 profiles shot on the E-3 were created using only 3 focal lengths, 12-30-60. Because of the complex moustache distortion, the wide end should have been profiled at 12-14-17, or at least that's what I would have done. . . .

In your case, I have no idea why the correction is so bad, it could be just bad target shooting by the creator. But use the tool to give a rating and leave a comment. And you can always make your own, it really is not that hard, just takes a little time and organization. That way it'll be done right!

That's why you should use the downloader app to leave a rating for the profile. One thing to n
    ODM
    ----------------